PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe NS still includes these...

David Gretzmier
05-23-2010, 04:04 AM
I had a tulip "deliter" that needed replacement the other day with a broken bell. they had a ton of these, and although I am not a fan of the bayonet base, and I think the spread could be better on these with a better curve of the stem, I went ahead and just ordered one for a replacement. Folks that read my posts know I am not a Nightscaping fan, but If they are in good shape and look like they have life left in them, I do try to keep them, and re-use them in designs if possible.

I have not gotten any new fixtures from them in a few of years however, and when I opened the box, I was surprised to find those yellow wire nuts. my guess is in NS workshops they train folks to seal those with something, but still, why do they still use these? In this particular add on/install, she probably had over 50 NS fixtures, and upon inspecting the connections made 2years ago, all of them used this wire nut, with no sealer, and corrosion had already begun, that wonderful, all too familiar blackish greenish color, even though they did the "tuck them in the stem/stake/pipe" thing.

can someone tell me why they don't at least provide a grease wire nut? grease wire nuts have been around for over 20 years!

I will stand up and give a shout out to NS for one thing. These are the first NS trans I have found that still had loaded voltage ( one had 320 watts and the other 360 ) to spec in the last 5 NS powercenter installs I have found. one was a multi tap and the other a straight, both 500 watters. only 2 years old. With her add on, I upgraded her to 2, 900 watt true multi tap to get her older fixtures to 10.9 to 11.7 or so. If anyone wants these used NS units, pm me.

GreenLight
05-23-2010, 02:16 PM
I have seen that with FX on some of their lights as well. Don't get me wrong, I can't understand how a company can claim to sell a commercial outdoor product and then ship standard non waterproof wirenuts. Now the one that really frustrates me is Hadco on their bullet lights. For starters they give you the generic short lead from the fixture which I have learned to live, but the pierce point connection they ship with it really almost has made me drop them altogether. I just think that is pretty "uncommercial". If I wanted pierce point connections I would go to lowes or HD. It makes me feel as though im not buying a quality product even though their fixtures are very sturdy and well crafted IMO...Odd how one small technicality can really sway your opinion, but I just feel they should know better than to even bother shipping them without looking a bit like a HO product.

David Gretzmier
05-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I have gotten pierce points with fixtures as well. NS is the king of short leads too. these came with 1 foot of lead wire. but I believe they design the lead and yellow nuts to go up in the fixture once connected. but NS has been around 40 years. they once were the standard of the industry. I would ship nothing at all as opposed to including a connection that will fail quickly.

again, the deliter was perfect, matched the others, had a baked on finish, white coated interior, etc. it is a quality fixture, and would be lower maintenance if they switched to bi-pin.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-23-2010, 10:42 PM
again, the deliter was perfect, matched the others, had a baked on finish, white coated interior, etc. it is a quality fixture, and would be lower maintenance if they switched to bi-pin.

You cannot just switch to a bi-pin lamp in an open fixture and keep your CSA / ULc approvals. When you use bi-pin lamps you need to have a lens.

You can order the deliters with a T5 Wedge socket and lamp. This way you can use 10,000 hour xenon lamps in a wide variety of wattages to suit the application.

David Gretzmier
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
James- I was not aware of the t5 option. I will specify that to my distributor here when I order a replacement next time. Thanks for the info.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Just tack: LOX1430 to the end of your part number and you will get the fixture with a T5 wedge socket and 13w xenon lamp.
Posted via Mobile Device