PDA

View Full Version : Best used 48" walk behind???

Outlaw44
05-23-2010, 12:25 PM
My neighbor and I both have about 1/2 acre lots and are thinking about going in together on a 48" walk behind. We've found a handful locally that are 1500 or under. I worked for a commercial lawn business when I was in high school, but I'm not familiar with brands to stay away from or which one would be a better buy. We're splitting it, so that's nice, but neither of us want to go cheap just to have maintenance costs make up for the difference.

From a couple day search it sounds like the brands in our price range are Ransome/Bob Cat, Bunton, John Deere, ExMark (Viking series), Lesco...I think that's it. Assuming all are in good working order, is there any brand that stands out...either good or bad?

Also, I've noticed in some of the pics that some 48" mowers rear tires are at a different width than the front tires...does this leave tire tracks in the stripes?

Thanks for the help!

Outlaw44
05-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Also, I'm thinking belt driven just based on budget.

fredmullegun
05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
You sure you want to split the cost with the neighbor? If you have the cash it would be better to just buy it yourself and "rent" it to your neighbor. What if one of you move?

Outlaw44
05-23-2010, 07:48 PM
You sure you want to split the cost with the neighbor? If you have the cash it would be better to just buy it yourself and "rent" it to your neighbor. What if one of you move?

I'm not worried about either one of us going anywhere. But, if I were buying it on my own, I'd still be asking the same question.

fredmullegun
05-23-2010, 07:55 PM
If you are buying used it is more likely to come down to the price vs condition rather than brand. And a Viking is a hydro not a belt drive. I like Exmark, personal preference, but would not have a problem with Scag or Toro.

JDExmark
05-25-2010, 09:13 AM
for residential use any i think you'll be happy with any of the main line commercial brands - exmark, ferris, scag, encore etc.... but be careful with used commercial machines... those machines are typically beat on...and I mean beat on

find a trusted seller... another approach go to a dealer, sometimes they post lists of used equipment for sale - and sometimes they have serviced and know about a particular machine... chances are they won't lie to you because they are in the business of selling machines... unlike a landscaper who could probably care less if the machine he sold you blows a motor 2 days after you get it home

i know the price jumps up - but consider new... there are deals out there for belt drives...if you look hard enough... maybe you drop it down to 36" new machine...for 1/2 acre lot its still manageable... through some gator blades on it, don't bag and you'll fly

some examples i've seen of late...48 Exmark Metro brand new 2800, 36" Encore brand new 2400, 36" Ferris Hydro brand new 2800.....