PDA

View Full Version : single blades of grass

Dave_Em
07-12-2002, 11:02 PM
If I Look across a lawn I just mowed I see dozens of single grass blades sticking up.
Whatís the deal? My blade is brand new. Iím mowing a residential with a 21 Honda commercial at 3 inches.

MikeLT1Z28
07-13-2002, 01:36 AM
mulching, bagging or side discharging? what blade?

The Mowerdude
07-17-2002, 05:22 AM
Your blades should always be razor sharp. We start everyday with freshly sharpened blades. It's part of our daily routine. So new is not good enough.

Also, your engine needs to be running at full throttle. I believe the industry standard calls for 3600 rpm. I can't remember, but it's fast enough for your blade tip speeds to approach supersonic. Also, that insures a sufficient supply of cooling air being blown down over the engine. Many feel that running a small engine slower is easier on it, but in reality, it can cause it to run hotter because the fan runs slower and moves less air.

Some types of grass simply refuse to mow clean. Ryes mostly. Also, creeping red fescue is almost identical to annual rye and neither will give you a nice look. These grasses are usually used when something is needed to germinate quickly in order to fight errosion while a slower grass sprouts and looks nicer in the long run. If this is your problem, why not plan on planting a fescue blend this coming fall and in the meantime, be patient and don't beat yourself up.