PDA

View Full Version : shrub I.D.

bare spot
05-23-2010, 12:38 PM
anyone know what this is? first time i believe i've come across one or taken good notice, nice looking plant and would be good to know. only have this pic to work with as battery was dead, when i was on the property.

RAlmaroad
05-23-2010, 12:49 PM
It's an acuba. Stays green all winter. Roy

bare spot
05-23-2010, 04:55 PM
roy, thanks. been looking through some books i got here the picture in one of the books, acuba jaonica (spotted laurel, not related), was the one that most closely resembled it. didn't know they hold their leaves, from reading bout it, sounds like it's a pretty versital plant. as for pruning, the ones i been trying to id are on a new account, as for pruning, looks like they been done with shears (trimmer), there forgiving but not sure if that's the way to go though. anyway, thanks, need to read up on it, a good looking plant.

gunsnroses
05-23-2010, 10:35 PM

looks like it could be Dappled Hakura Nishiki willow

bare spot
05-23-2010, 11:10 PM

looks like it could be Dappled Hakura Nishiki willow
does, looks just like it. got quite a name but leaves (color w/opposite), brownish red stem look the same. gonna read on this, thanks

Think Green
05-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Could be the leaf in the photo on the left side appears to have scale insects. This sways me to think it could be in the Euonymus species. It could be something in the Silver king name as I don't see this variety in our nurseries anymore because of the scale problems as the Golden euonymus.

bare spot
05-25-2010, 12:31 AM
so today i'm at this one yd, what do notice, same plant. hve been at this place for over 5 yrs now and now i notice it. although they let this one grow out (way bigger) and doesn't have the redish stems and deeper green leaves as the other ones, with are cut like shrubs do.

kemco
05-25-2010, 12:34 AM
I agree that although acuba looks very similar, I'm, pretty sure it is not. The leaves on acuba are generally much larger (from what I can tell in the photo) and the stem systems look completely different than anything I have seen on acuba. I have quite a bit of acuba at my own home. gunsnroses I think has it right.

hoylebros
05-25-2010, 09:14 AM
From the picture it's pretty hard to tell. My first thought was Elaeagnus of some sort. Are the the leaves silver on the backside?

RAlmaroad
05-25-2010, 10:32 AM
I found an Acuba on one of the properties. It has green stems with leaf pattern more of a rosette. This plant (above photo) has red stems and leaves grow more like a lilly. Gunsnroses is more right as a Dappled Hakura Willow.

a plus bob
05-25-2010, 04:16 PM
That is a dappled willow.They are not evergreen.The newer stems are red then turn brown.It can be a tree (on a standard) or a shrub.

bare spot
05-25-2010, 09:43 PM
the ones cut like a shrub have the red stems, the ones in the other yard don't. will post up some pic's next time i get to these yds, post up the differest looks. think (if i remember from what i read) the red is on the new growth, gotta re-check that.

bare spot
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
the ones cut like a shrub have the red stems, the ones in the other yard don't. will post up some pic's next time i get to these yds, post up the differest looks. think (if i remember from what i read) the red is on the new growth, gotta re-check that.

or just re-read bobs post (on the red stems).

bare spot
06-04-2010, 10:39 PM
thought i'd take a minute today and get some pic's of the dappled willow. these were in the other yd and growing out do look dif. from the ones i couldn't id. anyway just never put it together that they were the same plant. btw wanted to get pic's of the other but not gonna happen, homeowner rip them out. he did mention to me that he didn't like so guess he finally had enough of them..

bare spot
06-04-2010, 10:46 PM
thought i'd take a minute today and get some pic's of the dappled willow. these were in the other yd and growing out do look dif. from the ones i couldn't id. anyway just never put it together that they were the same plant. btw wanted to get pic's of the other but not gonna happen, homeowner rip them out. he did mention to me that he didn't like so guess he finally had enough of them..

forgot the pic

Kate Butler
06-05-2010, 08:53 PM
'Nishiki' willow gets my vote.

bare spot
08-17-2013, 09:50 PM
old post but wanted to bring it back for a followup question i had, hope somebody spots it. just read something about being able to cut back these shrubs to about 15 inches, even ground level think i saw. so had to ask does that sound right and being able to whack this shrub back like this (one a year). it mentioned to do this will help maintain shrub height and branch appearance i believe. from the ones i have seen in customers yds, they do grow fast, so seams to make sense, just never did this.

Kate Butler
08-18-2013, 07:53 AM
You CAN prune them pretty hard, but to the ground would probably be bad (long-term) for the shrub if done on an annual basis. Depends on the surrounding area; competition from other plantings, lawn, etc.. I prune mine every Spring by cutting outa half dozen of the largest stems about 6" above ground and then selectively prune the whips to keep the shape I want.

bare spot
08-18-2013, 10:17 PM
sounds like it can or could get very dense and fill in (with the new growth) . anyway, kate, thanks.

recycledsole
08-19-2013, 09:58 PM
my first thought was nishiki willow. those plants grow very fast. the 2nd picture posted was a good one of it. it doesn't look anything like acuba to me

Trees Too
11-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Hybrid ornamental variegated willow....