PDA

View Full Version : Pricing a professionally-done job for my family (mulch/edge/trees/cleanup)

ragejg
05-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi guys.

Although I've been involved in professional landscaping for years, I don't touch much as far as bidding/quoting.

Due to some health problems (recurrence of cancer) and a slowdown at the landscaping company I've been associated with for a while, I have some extra time on my hands, and would like to do a job for my family. I'd like to structure the pricing like a normal landscaping firm in my area would, but I'll be applying some significant discounts on labor rates because... well because I'm doing it for family! :p

Could I get some help from this community on setting up a pricing model for this job? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the running total on materials.

Mulching: 10 yards ... I'm going to have a trailer load dropped off at the house and will pay $20-$25/yard. This is for trees and beds.

Edging: total length of edging: 1100 ft. I'll be using a standard edging shovel.

NOTE: 3/4 of the edging will be fresh edging... i.e: trees that have no bed around them at this time. So a lot of this edging will actually accompany stripping soil from around the trees.

Tree planting: six 3-5ft blue spruce, 2 young mountain ash

General work:
bed cleanup/weeding: 8 hours
shrub trimming (by hand): 3 hours

Materials to buy:
One 20lb bag of Miracle Gro
Several cans of Grits (natural ant control)

.... That's about it.

Can I get some help on figuring labor time/cost? It appears that after the job is priced, my payment will be divided up into weekly/bi-weekly segments.

Thanks. :)

punt66
05-23-2010, 02:44 PM
i get $75 a yard for mulch. That includes mulch, delivery, and installation. New edging i get $1 a foot. The rest i would estimate the time it takes and get my price by what i want per hour plus material.