PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know what happened?

93Chevy
05-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Anybody know what happened here? I've never encountered anything like this before. I literally pulled out of my driveway and this massive squealing, almost like a nail was gouging my rotor, erupted. So I turned around and took a few pics. The grease appears to be a white lithium base, but very chunky with bits of what appear to be plastic or hard rubber, but could very well be metal. The grease appears to have been thrown toward the back of the truck, as there is grease on the mud flap.

Truck is a '95 Chevy K2500. Good condition, or so I thought.

You can see where the grease blew out from where appears to be where the axle attaches to the wheel bearing.

Here's a close up.

Further away, from the front of the truck

Again, from the front.

This is the front diff, where it attaches to the axle. No grease film on the other side of the pumpkin, only on the side of the mishap.

topsites
05-24-2010, 11:01 AM
The first picture appears like a busted constant velocity axle but the later ones
all show it to be in pretty decent shape although the angle is different...
The only other thing I can think of is a busted wheel bearing OR the little wheel bearing grease cap thing on the inside.

I still feel like I'm shooting a bit blind, I'm guessing it's 4WD?
And maybe, just maybe it's an upper or lower ball joint suddenly busted, but that's an awful lot of grease...

Either way you're more than likely going to have to pull that wheel off, then probably the disc brake caliper and rotor as well.

93Chevy
05-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I'm taking the truck to the shop tonight. I just got back from my day job, which is luckily close enough to walk from my house.

At any rate, everybody else I asked seemed to say the same thing...hopefully it's a simple fix as I will be out my only truck for the next day or two.

Thanks again for the help.

lawnboy dan
05-24-2010, 05:51 PM
another reason why you should not have 4x4 as your work truck

93Chevy
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah, how stupid of me to buy a practical vehicle for northern winters. It's also impossible to access my dump site, especially in the wet fall and spring times, without 4wd.

nepatsfan
05-24-2010, 06:19 PM
And what...buy seperate plow trucks or just plow with 2wd? Thats a good point. Just put ballast in the back and go for it. :hammerhead::cry::dizzy:

Gravel Rat
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Just the way it goes with GM 4x4s and IFS suspension. Lots of moving parts and you have to deal with CV joints and shafts. Expect to be replacing ball joints aswell and maybe the unit bearing hubs.

MarcSmith
05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
cut him some slack dan is from florida where 4x4's are mostly for fun.....

looks like the axle seal is gone hopefully if you chewed up a bearing it's not IN the diff but its on one of the 1/2 shafts...but you also got a CV joint tossing grease as well but I've never seen them use lithium grease on a CV joint????

93Chevy
05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Just the way it goes with GM 4x4s and IFS suspension. Lots of moving parts and you have to deal with CV joints and shafts. Expect to be replacing ball joints aswell and maybe the unit bearing hubs.

Yeah, I know...I have IFS, but that's the way it is on these trucks. I wouldn't mind having to pay to keep this from happening again.

cut him some slack dan is from florida where 4x4's are mostly for fun.....

looks like the axle seal is gone hopefully if you chewed up a bearing it's not IN the diff but its on one of the 1/2 shafts...but you also got a CV joint tossing grease as well but I've never seen them use lithium grease on a CV joint????

It really looks and feels like lithium grease, but it may not me. I drove it to the shop today and it didn't squeal or anything, so hopefully it's nothing major.

MarcSmith
05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
hopefully it's nothing major.
hope in one hand and sht in the other and see which fills up faster...;)

Ain't owning your own business fun....days like that I did not miss. My mind started running as to how many days/hours/lawns I'd have to work to make up for the loss...

93Chevy
05-24-2010, 07:35 PM
hope in one hand and sht in the other and see which fills up faster...;)

Ain't owning your own business fun....days like that I did not miss. My mind started running as to how many days/hours/lawns I'd have to work to make up for the loss...

Haha, yeah, it's a pain, but I mean, I don't think I'd trade it for anything. Maybe it's just stupid pride, but I think this is something I need to stick out for the long haul. Even if I had some sort of small, compact 1/4 ton truck, I wouldn't even be complaining so much because I need to borrow a truck to get my lawns done and other jobs.

Gravel Rat
05-24-2010, 08:55 PM
A 2wd 3/4 is useless you need 4 wheeldrive for any srw P/U truck they lack the traction you can get stuck on a banana peal.

If I owned a 3/4 ton or 1 ton srw it would be a 4x4 my 06 F-450 is 2wd but there isn't any traction problems because of the weight.

lawnboy dan
05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
yes 4x4 is handy but its also very compicated and complex sinse they did away with the old solid 1 perce front axel and locking hub system. there is just too much to go wrong now and you should EXPECT trouble sooner or later and not depend on a aged truck to make your living! have a back up truck

MarcSmith
05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
maybe the 15 year old truck WAS his backup truck :) honestly the indipendent 4wd system is not any different than front wheel drive system cars use. you just have extra CV joints to worry about. but yeah a 15 year old truck is getting up there in age. We have ton's of em here on campus...

93Chevy
05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm only 22 and just finished up full time student status. It was the best 3/4 extended cab long bed 4x4 I could find for the money. Internally, I haven't had any issues with the truck, and usually I can do most of my own repairs. But until I get a little more revenue, maybe next year, it's going to be my only truck. I need to be more financially secure before I incorporate another big investment like that.

But I do agree, it's tough to depend on an older vehicle, especially when it's the only truck I can work out of.

lawnboy dan
05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
i know full well whats under a modern 4x4 truck and its why i dont own one. cv joints and non greasable wheel bearings -it all adds up to breakdowns . i have owned dozens of 4x4s but wouldnt have one as a work truck. you dont need 4x4 to mow grass or pull a trailer .

nepatsfan
05-26-2010, 05:37 PM
i know full well whats under a modern 4x4 truck and its why i dont own one. cv joints and non greasable wheel bearings -it all adds up to breakdowns . i have owned dozens of 4x4s but wouldnt have one as a work truck. you dont need 4x4 to mow grass or pull a trailer .

I think someone else said it. The farm where we dump our grass and leaves you do need a 4x4 to get in and out sometimes. Also up north part of our business is plowing snow. I know you guys dont see it down in florida but its part of the package up here. So lawnboy...4x4's are necessary for us and just like you wouldn't buy one with 4 wheel drive, I would never buy anything less than an f650 in 2 wheel. To me it would be a worthless piece of crap that would sit all winter when it could be making me money. You talk about things that break...so what you dont get power windows, locks, mirrors. To me breakdowns and repairs are a part of doing business. I will not give up 4 wheel drive or modern amenities so it doesnt break. 4 wheel drive is a necessity.

93Chevy
05-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Well...verdict is in. Blown axle. I don't have a bill yet, so I don't know all of what was involved, but the main problem was a blown axle. I should be able to pick up the truck in 1/2 hour or so.

As far as 4x4 is concerned...Like I said before, I NEED 4x4 to dump clippings mainly. It's nice to have in the winter, but not necessary. I understand that some people don't require 4wd, but I do. Just another expense.

deere615
05-26-2010, 10:15 PM
wow that sucks! And yes up here 4x4 is a must most guys plow in the winter and even if you dont you really do need it to get around especially after this winter. plus for many other reasons ie dump sites, pulling out stuck equipment bushes the list goes on and on I would never own a srw 2x4 pickup maybe a dump but thats a maybe

lawnboy dan
05-29-2010, 06:30 PM
funny how we here in fla seem to make a living with out 4x4.

nepatsfan
05-29-2010, 07:00 PM

How many feet of snow did you guys get last year?

lawnboy dan
05-31-2010, 09:08 AM
if you must have a 4x4 -at least have a backup truck

93Chevy
05-31-2010, 02:34 PM
if you must have a 4x4 -at least have a backup truck

Now I can agree to that, although I can't afford a back up truck at this point.

Others may say that I can't afford NOT to have a back up truck.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-31-2010, 07:51 PM

thats a riot coming from the guy from Florida! HAHAHA

westcoh
06-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Geez your making way too big of a deal of having 4wd on a truck. I will never own another 2wd pickup, I made that mistake once. Today alone I used 4wd twice. We've had a ton of rain here and just picking up some lumber out in the lumber companys yard where it was nothing but mud I needed 4wd to get in and out with a trailer. Then this evening dropping some pallets off out in a field where I keep them I'd probably still be stuck out there without 4wd.

Believe it or not the whole world isn't like florida. . .

lawnboy dan
06-02-2010, 08:27 PM
you can have the rest of the world-ill stay here in fla -where 4x4 is unnecc.

93Chevy
06-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Hahaha, fair enough, but I'll take cold and snow over heat and humidity 9 times out of 10. Maybe I'm just a sissy, haha.

deere615
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Hahaha, fair enough, but I'll take cold and snow over heat and humidity 9 times out of 10. Maybe I'm just a sissy, haha.

Nope I am there with you snow is better, you can always put more clothes on you can only take so many off...

81Bronk36
06-13-2010, 04:11 PM
I think I am buying a 2wd SPARE truck tommorrow. It is a good idea, no problems with the 4wd on my primary though, the transmission, yes.

topsites
06-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Well...verdict is in. Blown axle. I don't have a bill yet, so I don't know all of what was involved, but the main problem was a blown axle. I should be able to pick up the truck in 1/2 hour or so.

That's not so bad, probably come out to 2-3-4-5-600 (lol sorry yes I realize it will probably be done by the time you read this).
Anyhow I'm figuring at least 200 but 6 at the most, I guess 400 on average.

The axle itself is actually only about $80'ish, the rest is labor but maybe it's more on a truck
and I also realize since you have it at the shop already might as well let them do it but ...

It's a bit of work plus it might need a front-end alignment afterward but I've
done several on my own and they're not beyond the backyard mechanic to replace
(thou usually some special tools are involved such as a hex or torx wrench set
and possibly a gear puller, maybe one or two other things).

It goes beyond a brake pad replacement in terms of how hard it is and yes it's a bit more to it
than replacing the air filter, say :p
But impossible it's not, takes anywhere from an hour or two up to an afternoon but
I thought I'd mention it for future reference and in case it helps someone else.

Hope it turns out all right, anyhow it's USUALLY not that serious.

93Chevy
06-13-2010, 06:24 PM
That's not so bad, probably come out to 2-3-4-5-600 (lol sorry yes I realize it will probably be done by the time you read this).
Anyhow I'm figuring at least 200 but 6 at the most, I guess 400 on average.

The axle itself is actually only about $80'ish, the rest is labor but maybe it's more on a truck
and I also realize since you have it at the shop already might as well let them do it but ...

It's a bit of work plus it might need a front-end alignment afterward but I've
done several on my own and they're not beyond the backyard mechanic to replace
(thou usually some special tools are involved such as a hex or torx wrench set
and possibly a gear puller, maybe one or two other things).

It goes beyond a brake pad replacement in terms of how hard it is and yes it's a bit more to it
than replacing the air filter, say :p
But impossible it's not, takes anywhere from an hour or two up to an afternoon but
I thought I'd mention it for future reference and in case it helps someone else.

Hope it turns out all right, anyhow it's USUALLY not that serious.

Good helpful post. The bill came to $325, which was a few hundred less than what my worst thought was.

Then, my water pump blew.

Now, I need a new passenger side window assembly.

Then I need a new exhaust.

Then new front tires.

That's all I can think of now.

deere615
06-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I have replaced both window assemblies on my blue truck first one was with a dealer part second a place from online. the one from online is all messed up already and I gotta replace it again I would reccommend OEM parts for that not aftermarket

93Chevy
06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was either going to ask my mechanic to do it for me, depending if he can give me a reasonable estimate, or order the parts from LMC truck for $150 ish or so, and have my uncle help me put it together some saturday morning.

deere615
06-13-2010, 09:01 PM
I think The OEM part for mine was like 130 and the aftermarket one was like 50 I have manual windows it isnt too bad replace once you do it once

93Chevy
06-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I have power windows, but I wouldn't change that...I love power windows.

deere615
06-13-2010, 09:21 PM
yeah I wish I had them lol that was the only thing I wanted on my new truck and didnt get

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-14-2010, 11:46 AM
on our 02 2500hd we have already been through 3 window regulators per side.

and to the moron in FL., just shut your mouth already.

cause i guess us guys up north should keep an entire fleet of lawn only 2wd trucks and then a separate 4x4 fleet of plow trucks. hmmm lets do the math on that one, maybe one repair on the front end of a 4x4 truck in its life (approx 150K miles for a gasser) or a whole other truck.

Mark Oomkes
06-14-2010, 02:47 PM

Absolutely.

yes 4x4 is handy but its also very compicated and complex sinse they did away with the old solid 1 perce front axel and locking hub system. there is just too much to go wrong now and you should EXPECT trouble sooner or later and not depend on a aged truck to make your living! have a back up truck

What exactly is "compicated"? I guess if you can't spell it, it probably is too complicated for you. Same goes for those 1 "perce" front axles.

Which Ford and Dodge still use, apparently you aren't as up to date on those modern trucks as you claim to be.

Ummm, you do? You stated they have not been as good since they got rid of a solid axle, yet 2 mfg's still use them.

Dozens? Yeah right. Where's that BS meter?

I think someone else said it. The farm where we dump our grass and leaves you do need a 4x4 to get in and out sometimes. Also up north part of our business is plowing snow. I know you guys dont see it down in florida but its part of the package up here. So lawnboy...4x4's are necessary for us and just like you wouldn't buy one with 4 wheel drive, I would never buy anything less than an f650 in 2 wheel. To me it would be a worthless piece of crap that would sit all winter when it could be making me money. You talk about things that break...so what you dont get power windows, locks, mirrors. To me breakdowns and repairs are a part of doing business. I will not give up 4 wheel drive or modern amenities so it doesnt break. 4 wheel drive is a necessity.

You make so much sense, or is it sence? Whichever, lawnboy will understand.

Must be all that clean living.

Great, we have enough ignorance up north, we don't need you to add to it. :waving:

lawnboy dan
06-28-2010, 07:00 PM
well it seems that the ford f150 4x4 DOES have cv joints so whoever said that dodge and ford still had soild axle is wrong-about the ford. still checking on the dodge

93Chevy
06-28-2010, 09:17 PM
well it seems that the ford f150 4x4 DOES have cv joints so whoever said that dodge and ford still had soild axle is wrong-about the ford. still checking on the dodge

Only 3/4 ton and up on Ford and Dodge have solid fronts...half ton's use IFS.