PDA

View Full Version : Help with turning my z

We do 4 U
07-12-2002, 11:42 PM
I am new to the z thing. I have been making tire tracks while going around trees, light ploes, etc. I ahve tried going slow, but it still happenes. I have a 52" Hustler Super Z. Thanks in advance for the help.

MikeLT1Z28
07-13-2002, 01:25 AM
best advice i can offer is to make a 3 point turn. keep an eye on your pivot tire (and surroundings) and make sure the tire keeps moving. if you do make an abrupt turn and the tire stops, slowly take off to try and avoid a divot.

David Haggerty
07-13-2002, 07:11 AM
I told my son to make two oval shaped passes around trees etc. One going N-S the other E-W to get all the grass. It's helping.

That inside tire has got to twist a little on turns. If you're following exactly the same path every week, like when you're trimming around something, it's going to leave a mark. You just have to get out of that same old rut. The 3 point turn Mike explained will break up the pattern too.

My son was reluctant to change his trimming habits. I told him we were going to have a rough time convincing customers those were crop circles around those trees.:D

Dave

ADMowing
07-13-2002, 08:50 AM
I agree. Three point turns work good and so do the oval patterns -- elongating the way out on both sides and them come back and do the part you left on another pass. We hate the tree rings and so do the customers. Keep the wheels turning by tweaking the opposite Z handle of the wheel you are turning (the direction). In other words, make sure that the tire on the inside of your turn is not stationary as much as possible. Keeps both wheels turning to help alleviate the tire "footprint" is what we call it.

If there are places where you have to back up, roll the front wheels around by pulling back on one handle a little more than the other while backing up (providing you have room behind you). This will help the front tires to roll around instead of grabbing the grass and quickly popping back. That popping action pulls up the grass and/or disturbs the turf -- done enough times, you'll have a bare spot.

Whenever possible, mow in different directions (or one tire track away from last time) to keep lawn from having ruts. You might have a little more weedeating around edging and all, but you shouldn't have ruts.

Hope this helps! Have fun, 'cause we think Z's ROCK!

A & D

Part Timer
07-14-2002, 10:50 AM
I have a 52" Hustler Z as well. I have found to run 8 to 10 psi. in rear tires helps some as also.:blob3:

Bluesteel
07-14-2002, 01:19 PM
My technique is to make a polygon (5-6 sided) box around the object, with true Zero-Turns at each of the corners. And NEVER spend too much time detailing with a large mower, that's weed-whacker territory.

Grass_Slayer
07-14-2002, 01:28 PM
i go up to the still at speed and go to one side of it. on the next pass i do th same thing on the other side. this way i leave two triangles on either side of the tree.

A
(0)
V

The tree is in parentheses the a and v are the triangles left to trim.

Grass_Slayer
07-14-2002, 01:31 PM
it never works right after i post it.:mad:

We do 4 U
07-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Grass_slayer I got ;). I will give it and all the other sugestions a try. Thanks all!!