PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea?

C & T Landscaping
05-24-2010, 01:08 AM
I was just watched an episode of West Coast Customs and they re-did an older military Humvee. I think it would be great for our type of work. It has a super heavy everything. I'm sure it could tow anything without sagging and you don't have to worry about beating it up. The type of Humvee I'm talking about is: http://seeker401.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/humvee-00b2.jpg I think this would be a good idea...You can even escape those crazy clients that want to kill you..it's bulletproof:P

Swampy
05-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Not to fight you one this but I think your wrong.

1. Hummev's have a independent rear axle, while the coils are pretty stiff they ain't know leaf springs. They don't hold alot.

2. The engine is a older gm diesel, I believe a 6.5L (might be wrong on that) but with the up armored verisons of the Hummev they have been retrofited with larger radiators to deal with the heat build up cause from the extra wieght.

3. The gearing in the rear end isn't built for heavy towing, even though its considered a class IV (1 and 1/4 ton) truck.

You have to remember the Hummev was orignally built as a "scout" type of vehicle, made to handle extreme off road conditions such as speed in open terrain, steep hill sides, amphibous operations, etc. There is no reason for a hummev tow anything in the military, they have heavier trucks for that.

Don't get me wrong if your going to be towing a few mowers around or plowing then yeah it'll work. But don't be mad when it turns out to tow like a slug.

C & T Landscaping
05-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Yeah I understand...Like I said it was a crazy idea...I just thought that not only would you stand out from others in box trucks and pickup trucks it would be heavy duty...but seeing your in the Army and know your stuff I'll take your side. I thought it would be better than that though...and thanks for your service.

rcslawncare
05-24-2010, 02:00 AM
Cool idea, but prolly not practical. If I saw one towing a mowing rig, Id be taking some pics!!

MikeKle
05-24-2010, 07:13 AM
I didnt think it was possible to buy a used military version humvee? I read a story about how they destroy the older ones just so they cant be auctioned off, and how they make it so you can never register the thing for on road use, but maybe this has changed? IF you look around, you can find the civilian model H1s pretty cheap now, the mid to late 90s models that is, most are under 20K now, and they would have all the options we are used to instead of a bare bones military truck that has likely been beat to death in the desert.