PDA

View Full Version : What grass is this? Thin, very wiry, intense clumps.

Scott99999
05-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi guys,

I've been trying to identify a grass and can't find it anywhere in pictures or descriptions. I'm sorry - but I don't have an immediate picture available. Hopefully this description will ring a bell.

- Northeast / NY (but not necessarily native)
- Forms intense clumps about the size of your fist.
- Very short
- **Very** thin blades, almost like stiff threads or thin wires, but hundreds of them. You could thread one through the eye of a needle.
- Very intense / matted root network - dethatching is difficult, and pulls the whole clump.
- When it browns, there's lots of thatch.

We've had it grow under some tall oak trees. It was green this spring, then it died and formed brown clumps. I could just pull each up with a dethatching rake, but generally, the whole clump comes with it and the root network is a matted mess of tangled, thin roots that are impossible to pull up.

I thought it might be a form of fine fescue, but it doesn't look like anything I've seen in pictures.

About a 20x15 area of the side of our house is all of this type of grass, and it's mixed in elsewhere - I'm tempted to yank it all up since it's already dying back.

Kiril
05-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Probably is a fescue (red would be my guess), but there are other types of ornamental grasses that are similar to what you described. Look through the pictures.

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Lawns/orna.htm