PDA

View Full Version : problem associated with speading mulch

LewisLawn
05-24-2010, 11:29 AM
every season when i spread mulch i break out with a rash (I think it is poison ivy) not 100% sure....Anyhow it is really itchy and breaks out into little blisters and hands swell. I have read remedies on how to keep the annoying itch under control. This year I started to wear gloves and long sleeve shirt when laying it down. Anyone have suggestion on what I can do to keep from getting this again, short of hiring someone else to lay it down for me...I was thinking latex gloves but didn't know how they would hold up....

DitchDr
05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Hire someone to spread it for you

Cloud9Landscapes
05-25-2010, 03:06 AM
Don't spread it at all...major liability issues if a little kid or pet were to get into that stuff.

whosedog
05-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Could be from a chemical additive or the shredded bark has slivers that prick the skin like fiberglass insulation. I can't wear those latex gloves for too long because they make my hands sweat(only for oil changes etc.); leather gloves and long sleeves work good.The other thing about mulch is it can contain mold, so if you are allergic to mold it can make you sneeze.

White Gardens
05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
What kind of mulch are you using Lewis ??

LewisLawn
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM
i am using hardwood mulch from various suppliers in my area, most frequently double ground but occasionally i use dyed mulch as well, i get blisters all over my hands and between fingers and any place that i touch with my hands such as face if i have to wipe sweat from it.

LawnCosmetics
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Do you have anyone else helping you that is experiencing the same thing? If not, then I'd say you're the allergic one - hire someone to do it for you... but if your help is experiencing the same thing - Stay away from that mulch/supplier!! There is obviously some kind of additive that your customers should not be exposed too.

Good luck! :)