PDA

View Full Version : Dolmar MS 22C

rugmankc
05-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Can't find a lot on this trimmer. Just sold my Stihl FS 100RX due to back surgery and need for a lighter trimmer. I saw a few comments here and on line, but thought maybe some help from the professionals here would help. Standard residential lot, light use. Have a chain link fence, so I want something that has some punch. Held one and seemed well balanced and light. Decent rpm control which the RX did not. Did shake somewhat, but a 2 stroke. 249.00. You can only wind cord onto to it, but seemed easy enough. It is about 8.5 pounds. If I look at 9.5 on up may as well get an Echo, Redmax etc. Like the 8.5 lb feel. I cut some grass with it seemed fine for me, was able to hold speed at a slower rpm for beds. As mentioned above RX can't do that. At least for me.

1. Is this a good brand name

2. Any reason for my particular needs I should not buy. Quality, high maintenance, hard starting, etc. It has an auto choke and started on second pull at dealer.

Appreciate any help, if anything better at 9.5lbs or less I would appreciate your feedback,

Ken

rugmankc
05-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Bought the redmax 2301s.

Manual says minimum 89 octane, I have been using premium in my Stihls and synthetic oil. Dealer said don't use premium. Redmax's best oil doesn't say synthetic.

Any recommendations on best gas and oil to use in it.

I thought it came with strap?????

Ken

nmurph
05-25-2010, 11:34 PM
i can't answer you about the specific model of trimmer you mention. but as a whole, dolmar is a great brand. they are the original maker of the modern chainsaw. i own 6 saws and a hedge trimmer. none have given a minutes problem. i am not brand-biased, as i also own modern husky & stihl, as well as vintage homelite, poulans, macs, lombard, O&R, Keikehaufer, Mall, etc.....

rugmankc
05-26-2010, 12:33 PM
i can't answer you about the specific model of trimmer you mention. but as a whole, dolmar is a great brand. they are the original maker of the modern chainsaw. i own 6 saws and a hedge trimmer. none have given a minutes problem. i am not brand-biased, as i also own modern husky & stihl, as well as vintage homelite, poulans, macs, lombard, O&R, Keikehaufer, Mall, etc.....

nmurph,

Already got the Redmax, any input on my gas and oil questions. Manual says minimum 89 octane, so I can't see why not to use premium and Redmax's best oil doesn't say synthetic on bottle, so my thought on that was to run 50:1 Echo 2 Stroke, if I can find it. Heard good comments on that. The dealer I got the redmax from has no Echo and my Stihl dealer has only Stihl synthetic that I used in the FS 100RX I sold (4 stroke), but also used in by Stihl 2 two stroke blower. So I could use premium gas and buy the Stihl synthetic.

The Redmax dealer said don't use premium gas and he adds a little extra of the Redmax 50:1 oil to bring it to 40:1 for better lubrication.

Any inputs anyone,

Ken

Thanks,

Ken

rugmankc
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Actually the manual says 50:1, but they sell and recommend the 32:1, which is what it says on the bottles they sold me.

Ken

nmurph
05-26-2010, 09:14 PM
i run stihl ultra at 50:1 mixed in mid or high octane gas.

rugmankc
05-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks nmurph,

Is that for all your two strokes or just Stihl. I think I will continue premium gas since manual says minimum 89 octane and maybe stash the 3 bottles of Redmax Premium oil (not synthetic) I got from them and get 50:1 Stihl Ultra. That's what I ran in my Stihl's and I still have a Stihl blower. They ran and started great with that combo. Dealer says synthetic has no advantage in two strokes. I am questioning their knowledge.

Ken

nmurph
05-27-2010, 03:40 AM
i would not trust what your dealer has to say anymore in respect to oils. one of the best reasons for using synthetic is the reduced problem of carbon deposit on the piston and in the exhaust port.
i run all 2-stroke equipment on ultra @ 50:1. this includes many vintage saws, which were designed to run on 16:1 dino oil.

rugmankc
05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
nmurph,

Thanks for all your advice, my gut feeling is the same as yours on the dealer. I got conflicting and incorrect info from them. Went with the Redmax cause of name familiarity and closeness. Also, good reviews. Dolmar dealer was a lot farther away. The MS 22C shook a lot more too and didn't have as smooth and controllable speed trigger as the Redmax. I have flower beds to edge and want good low speed control when doing them. My previous FX 100RS didn't have that. I can't use it for awhile since back surgery was only 5 weeks ago. Hopefully I made a good choice.

Since my Stihl blower is running good on the Ultra and premium gas, I will do the same based on that performance and your welcomed inputs. The Redmax manual says 50:1 also. I do want synthetic.

Thank You,

Ken

nmurph
05-27-2010, 11:35 PM
i'm sort of in the same boat as you. i had rotator cuff repair monday morning. i am out of the chainsaw game for at least 3 months and then i have to be careful for another 6 months.

rugmankc
05-28-2010, 02:16 PM
nmurph

Yea, it sucks. I am on Short Term Disibility since 12 April. My severe nerve damage, even after a successful operation, can take 6mos to 2 years to heal, if ever. I am hoping to go back to work on the 8th of June. Right now I am 50/50 on that.

I can't stand not being able to do the things I like to do around the house. Even more, my yard is unacceptable. My son mows, but that is it. I kept a well manicured yard, islands, and beds. Always got compliments when people walked by. Now it it hurts to look at it. We had a company come out to edge the front yard, mulch, and trim up some trees. It was pitiful in all areas. No idea how to spread the mulch let alone shape it around the outside of the beds. While trimming the limbs with a 12ft pole with a chain saw on the end (way to long of a pole for the lower limbs, couldn't control the end of it) they cut into other ares on the brances, which can lead to disease. They used a gas bed edger and even that left a shagged edge, not like I have seen pictures of. If that is as good as they do, I won't buy one. I wanted one for next year. Not sure what to do about the back now. Gun shy of calling someone else.

Sorry for the long rant, hope your shoulder gets better soon and you can get back to do what you enjoy.

Ken