PDA

View Full Version : Over Grown landscape Help

blkvette78
05-24-2010, 09:58 PM
I need advise on whats the best approach to clearing landscapes that already have flowers and shrubs but are over grown with weeds and grass. They dont want to start over just clean up what they already have. Is there another way of doing it other than all by hand? After that they do want to put down mulch. I am somewhat new in the business also.

nepatsfan
05-24-2010, 10:01 PM
grub hoes and weeding.

White Gardens
05-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Do it by hand. Take a shovel and go around and pop the weeds up a little first to loosen the roots so that when you go to pull them you'll get them out easier and get most of the roots at the same time.

I'd do a follow up a couple of weeks later and spray anything that is coming back. Then up-sell the customer on a maintenance schedule so it doesn't happen again.

Fahzu
05-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Gotta do it by hand, man. A good claw tool, either short handle or long will help loosen the weeds and then pull. Don't spray any round-up or other weed killer, you'll damage the surrounding plants. You can spray a selective herbicide that targets the grass but not the other broadleaf plants. If you're new to the business, I wouldn't bother with spraying though. Estimate the job for plenty of time so you can be thorough, grab your MP3 player and get to work. It will be over before you know it, then you will have a happy customer and money in hand.

360ci
05-30-2010, 11:37 AM
For larger weeded areas couldn't you spray vinegar over the area in question? I don't know if it'll kill all the roots but I would assume it would make clean up a bit easier? Any thoughts? I have a similar overgrown weed problem that I've been asked to deal with but haven't gotten around to tackling it yet.

cgaengineer
05-30-2010, 01:10 PM
You can use round up if you have enough space to work without worrying about drift, if not your best bet is to pull them up by hand apply a pre-m, mulch and spot spray what comes through mulch if any.

360ci
05-30-2010, 02:55 PM
I'd rather not kill the grass between the weeds that are there, would Killex work better? I've used it in the past and don't know if it's still available in Ontario due to the new gotta-be-green fertilizer law that came into effect late last year. It's a bugger.

LawnCosmetics
06-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I've just taken on a job just like you're talking about and I knew that I was going to be doing this one by hand... no problem, though. The big question for me is "How much do I charge?" There are 16 raised beds, all varying in size from 3 x 5 to 12 x 6. All have established plants that the client wants to keep, but completely over run with nasty weeds. I actually started the job tonight and in 3 hours I cleared 3 beds. So, do you charge per hour, per bed, per sq. ft; what?

Note: This client has asked me to be the regular maintenance/gardening from here on out. Now I know that may change over the course of time depending on life's circumstances, but the kicker is - he's a Realtor, so I'm confident that I'll get more work out of this.

(hope you don't feel like I hijacked your thread... I was searching for pricing on this type of job and your thread came up....) :waving:

360ci
06-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Alyssa, I'd keep it it hourly. Best thing to do is estimate the time it's taken you so far, to get a rough number of how long the rest will take you to complete, and add on $100 for effort, or, in case it takes a bit longer than you thought! A lot of folks these days undercut themselves to the point where there is no, or minimal profit. Besides, even hand tools show signs of wear and tear after a while and will need to be replaced ($) at some point.

I'm used to my wife interrupting me or changing the subject during a conversation, but calling it hijacking can work just as well!

Creative Cuts
06-11-2010, 12:55 AM
talk them into landscaping fabric, i would scalp the beds with a trimmer then lay your fabric nice and tight with staples, go around the edges with some round-up and lay your mulch about 3 inches

Marcos
06-11-2010, 01:18 AM
I need advise on whats the best approach to clearing landscapes that already have flowers and shrubs but are over grown with weeds and grass. They dont want to start over just clean up what they already have. Is there another way of doing it other than all by hand? After that they do want to put down mulch. I am somewhat new in the business also.

There are 2 over-the-top chemicals that can control grassy, and broadleaf weeds, respectively, in landscape beds.

First, I recommend chopping back all these weeds to within about 3" from the ground, and then remove & discard as much as you can of weed cutting debris.

Then you'll need two separate chemicals, commonly sold in tip 'n pour bottles at JDL / Lesco, etc:
1) Fusilade II (mfr:Syngenta), for use as an over-the-top control for certain GRASSY weeds in landscape beds.
2) Lontrel (mfr: Dow), for use as an over-the top for certain BROADLEAFS in the landscape.

Very important:
-DO NOT use surfactant (a.k.a 'spreader-sticker) when using either of these products as an over-the top spray.
-If both broadleaves & grasses are a problem in a given bed, do not mix these chemicals in solution...spray separately!