PDA

View Full Version : He Called Me Over Priced

ggman
05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
OK, so I go meet with this client and look at some walls he wants built here is the details:
Wall One 50' Long Total of 48" Tall Borgert Panomor $4.72 a Block, 8" Base 3/4" backfill $5,900.00

Two Other walls 25 Long 42" Tall $4,800.00 for each wall
Or Package deal of $13,900 for all three walls!
Am I over priced?

snowman55
05-25-2010, 12:35 PM
that would be towards the high end here $20-$30 a sq ft depending on diff.

Budlightshooter
05-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Nope cheap i think

DVS Hardscaper
05-25-2010, 05:18 PM
We're talking walls. Not drywall hanging.

So many variables when it comes to walls. If there were no variables - then a wall or walls would not be needed.

Therefore, there is not any way anyone can say yay or nay about your price. Unless we see pictures and have more information about the site, etc.

We could have a 500 SF wall that we build for $10,000.00.

And we could have a 276 SF wall that would be $10,467.00.

You can't just take length and height and expect feedback about the price.

I will say, no retaining wall needs an 8-inch aggregate base. Unless you have some funky soil issues, 6-inches is more than sufficient.

Bru75
05-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Don't worry about it, unless this is happens often.
You will always be "over priced" to some people.

DVS Hardscaper
05-25-2010, 09:07 PM
It's funny how home owners can get under our skin by just the slightest!

Ya know, so he call you "over priced".

Well, let me start with first stating that because this topic exists, you must be new to this facit of the landscape industry. But there is nothin wrong with that. When one is new, whew doggie, there is alot to learn! And it's my opinion that there is far more to learn in relation to dealing with clients than there is in doing the actual work. Let me tell you - after 14 years of sitting at different dining room tables 5 days a week - you really learn how to read people and you learn how they think. I can tell a customer more about theirself as a buyer of contracting services than they could ever imagine. All from years of experience, listening, and observing.

But what does it mean when they say you're over priced?

See, for me it would either mean something of relivance or it would go in one ear and out the other.

-What made you over priced?
-Did they get other prices?
-Or was your price simply more than they were wanting to spend?
-If they got other prices, who were they getting the other prices from?
-Were the other prices for contractors of EQUAL experience and knowledge to you? Now, again, I presume you're new to this, so were the other guys veterans or are they new too?

See, if a prospective client obtains prices from contractors at the same level as us - then I value the feedback.

But if they are comparing my price and proposal to someone only in their 1st, 2nd or 3rd year of hardscaping - then most likely I don't have an interest in the feedback.

Krafty
05-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Ya kinda hard to go off of. In the perfect situation that may be on the hight end but in some yards I have been in that may be a steal. I NEVER give package prices though. You are just cutting yourself short with them. Same amount of work with less money.

ggman
05-26-2010, 12:59 AM
So a little on my back round and experience, Masters In Landscape Architecture. 12 years at Valley Crest running the landscape development division. So many walls under my belt its nuts. I figured the base of 8" because the soil on the property sucked! An on the homeowner he went to home depot got a "sample" of wall block and I believe based his price from there. I priced a little lower this time cause this is a new company just left Valley Crest and was hoping to get some work. But I will walk away, when I can do a clean-up in 2 hrs with 2 guys and get $780.00 bucks heck I will keep doing the money makers

tturbonegro
05-26-2010, 09:58 PM
prices seem pretty accurate to me...but you will always get the people that think you are high b.c they got a cheaper price from some joker who never built a wall taller than 12", has no idea what geo grid is, and thinks there would be nothing wrong with backfilling a 4ft wall with the dirt he dug out
Posted via Mobile Device

Budlightshooter
05-27-2010, 02:45 PM
add 2k for asking us how and what price you should be at and you should be good