PDA

View Full Version : Demo'd a Hustler SuperDuty last night...

Jaybo700R
05-25-2010, 01:23 PM
2010 Hustler Fastrak Superduty, 54" deck with Mulch kit, fitted with Flex Forks and the 25hp Kawasaki.

Wow. I've demoed the Bad Boy ZT 27HP and while it was a nice machine the Hustler beats it all the way around. the Kawi felt more powerful than the Kohler despite the stated HP difference. The mulch kit rocks! It's obvious Hustler has been building these for a while, the smoothness of the controls, the cut and overall engineering look top notch. The Bad boy ZT also was pretty impressive but it was not as refined as the Hustler.

The Hustler dealer is giving a nice price ~$6800 with flex forks and 60" non mulch deck compared to the Bad Boy @ ~$6000 with suspension seat. The Bad Boy dealer is a tractor place with Bad Boys as a sideline. They are about $600 over the supposed $5K MSRP seen other places for the ZT60. They would not budge on price at all.

I really like the better canister air filter on the Hustler vs. the stock Kohler air filter on the ZT. Downside was the Hustler even with the flex forks needs a suspension seat for my yard. Dealer is going to research what seat would fit on that machine for me.

My $5000 budget is pretty shot but I think the Hustler is a better machine, with a better engine, more refined engineering, better air filtration and it also includes ROPS which I really wanted and was not available on the BB ZT. Thumbs up for Hustler for nice well thought out machine!

..Jay

RonAyersMotorsports
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Suspension seats like used on the Super Z are the same and will fit the Super Duty for around a little more than $500.00. The transaxles on the Super Duty are also Commercial grade using the Hydro gear ZT3100 vs the ZT2800 residential transaxle used in the BB. Great choice on the Hustler you will love it.

The engines used on the BB are also Residential Kohler Courage Engines vs the Commercial Kawasaki's on the Hustlers which carry a NOW 3 year consumer Warranty. And the torque levels are stronger vs the Courage engine. Which is why is feels stronger, because it is.

Jaybo700R
05-25-2010, 03:58 PM
The Bad Boy is now using the ZT3100 transaxles as well. The engine difference was a big selling point for me along with the better air filter. I'm hoping I can get into the seat for less than that, he said he has a warranty return one (small tear in hte seat from factory) that has been laying around the shop for a while so he may be able to get me that one for a good price.

So we will see what happens. I'm 2nd on the list for the next 60" SD to come in so probably another 3 weeks or so.. I am so hoping I don't have to mow with the Kubota more than one more time again :)

..Jay

Suspension seats like used on the Super Z are the same and will fit the Super Duty for around a little more than $500.00. The transaxles on the Super Duty are also Commercial grade using the Hydro gear ZT3100 vs the ZT2800 residential transaxle used in the BB. Great choice on the Hustler you will love it.

The engines used on the BB are also Residential Kohler Courage Engines vs the Commercial Kawasaki's on the Hustlers which carry a NOW 3 year consumer Warranty. And the torque levels are stronger vs the Courage engine. Which is why is feels stronger, because it is.

RonAyersMotorsports
05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
The Bad Boy is now using the ZT3100 transaxles as well. The engine difference was a big selling point for me along with the better air filter. I'm hoping I can get into the seat for less than that, he said he has a warranty return one (small tear in hte seat from factory) that has been laying around the shop for a while so he may be able to get me that one for a good price.

So we will see what happens. I'm 2nd on the list for the next 60" SD to come in so probably another 3 weeks or so.. I am so hoping I don't have to mow with the Kubota more than one more time again :)

..Jay

Well you will enjoy it. Our 60" SD is our best selling SD model. Our biggest problem is keeping them in stock and assembled this time of year.

Jaybo700R
05-26-2010, 02:24 AM
Well you will enjoy it. Our 60" SD is our best selling SD model. Our biggest problem is keeping them in stock and assembled this time of year.

Yeah, My dilemma is if to get the mulching kit or not - $200 extra with blades and the kit - I really liked not having grass to rake up and the lawn looked great after mowing it (about an inch higher than I usually do) or if I should just get that later.. I could get the 54" right away but I think the 60" will work out better for me.

Either way I'm pretty pumped about it.

..Jay

Jaybo700R
06-09-2010, 06:00 PM
DAYUMN! OK, the dealer finds my Hustler 60" Superduty the same week of my demo so of course I had to jump and have him deliver it. I did buy the mulch kit, but skipped on the flex forks and instead got a suspension seat from one of their commercial models. I am SO glad I made that choice! The demo had the regular seat and flex forks and it did feel rough. With the suspension seat the ride is very plush and in the roughest stuff it is a HUGE improvement compared to the demo with flex forks. They did make me purchase the seat on a separate invoice for liability reasons (it raises the seat height about 3-4") but they delivered it installed and credited me the original seat in the price.

My first mow the grass was barely long enough to mow but I had to give it a maiden voyage and try it out - I mowed about 3.5 acres in about 2.5 hours! That may not seem very fast but I have over 90 trees in my yard. the in laws yard next door is pretty steep so I had to use a lot more caution there as well.

Last night I mowed after work, my own lawn (about 2.5 acres) with heavy wet grass in 2 hours. I'm used to spending 5 hours on my Kubota 1550 gear drive tractor doing this same amount, and then having to rake up all of the grass afterward! The quality of cut is top notch, some tufts did come up from being wet and pushed down with the front wheels but with the Kubota I would have had to go over it twice in the same condition! What used to be an all day Saturday job is now going to be able to be done after work in a couple hours! Wow.

Wife was not too impressed with the $$ I shelled out over what I had originally budgeted, but she is now raving about how nice our lawn looks! No more need to scalp it short to get out of the drudgery of having to mow so long with the old gear drive tractor.

The only down side I see now is my lawn looks so nice, its time to get the weeds and clover out of it and make it look even nicer! Here are 3 pics with just a small portion of my lawn, and one showing not 1 but 2 cup holders! How cool is that!

Specop_007
06-09-2010, 07:26 PM
When I went to pick up my Sport while I was waiting a guy pulled up with a gooseneck flatbed and a SD on it. As he was walking in I asked him if he liked his mower.

He had 2 of them, this one was having problem. Flat tires. Both his rear tires were flat. He said the mowers worked great, he bought this one last week and had 50 hours on it.

He couldnt keep the tires up because he used them to mow roadsides and had problems with nails and all the other assorted trash on the side of a road. This one went flat 200 miles from home.

I figure if they are robust enough to mow roadsides they have to be a solid machine. That thing should outlast you if you maintain it.

Jaybo700R
06-09-2010, 08:59 PM
I figure if they are robust enough to mow roadsides they have to be a solid machine. That thing should outlast you if you maintain it.

That is exactly my plan!

ATD1
10-26-2010, 10:36 AM
DAYUMN! OK, the dealer finds my Hustler 60" Superduty the same week of my demo so of course I had to jump and have him deliver it. I did buy the mulch kit, but skipped on the flex forks and instead got a suspension seat from one of their commercial models. I am SO glad I made that choice! The demo had the regular seat and flex forks and it did feel rough. With the suspension seat the ride is very plush and in the roughest stuff it is a HUGE improvement compared to the demo with flex forks. They did make me purchase the seat on a separate invoice for liability reasons (it raises the seat height about 3-4") but they delivered it installed and credited me the original seat in the price.

My first mow the grass was barely long enough to mow but I had to give it a maiden voyage and try it out - I mowed about 3.5 acres in about 2.5 hours! That may not seem very fast but I have over 90 trees in my yard. the in laws yard next door is pretty steep so I had to use a lot more caution there as well.

Last night I mowed after work, my own lawn (about 2.5 acres) with heavy wet grass in 2 hours. I'm used to spending 5 hours on my Kubota 1550 gear drive tractor doing this same amount, and then having to rake up all of the grass afterward! The quality of cut is top notch, some tufts did come up from being wet and pushed down with the front wheels but with the Kubota I would have had to go over it twice in the same condition! What used to be an all day Saturday job is now going to be able to be done after work in a couple hours! Wow.

Wife was not too impressed with the $$ I shelled out over what I had originally budgeted, but she is now raving about how nice our lawn looks! No more need to scalp it short to get out of the drudgery of having to mow so long with the old gear drive tractor.

The only down side I see now is my lawn looks so nice, its time to get the weeds and clover out of it and make it look even nicer! Here are 3 pics with just a small portion of my lawn, and one showing not 1 but 2 cup holders! How cool is that!

Just curious if you could update us on the latest and greatest of what you think about the mower now that you've had for a full season. I'm considering the SD 54" and would really like to know what you think about your SD now.

Thanks

Capemay Eagle
10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Congrats on the machine, but I have to say, it is a pretty unfair comparison on comparing the the Hustler Superduty to the Bad Boy ZT? and I also cannot believe the price you had on the ZT, 6K??? That is a bit much I would say. I got a 2010 BB "CZT" 42" with a 23 Vanguard with ZT3400's for $5300?.

A much better comparison would have been the BB PUP or the Lighting or even the CZT all of which have better transmissions and bigger and better engine options for about the same money. Don't get me wrong, I love Hustler's but you have to be fair when comparing.

rwaters
10-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Congrats on the machine, but I have to say, it is a pretty unfair comparison on comparing the the Hustler Superduty to the Bad Boy ZT? and I also cannot believe the price you had on the ZT, 6K??? That is a bit much I would say. I got a 2010 BB "CZT" 42" with a 23 Vanguard with ZT3400's for $5300?.

A much better comparison would have been the BB PUP or the Lighting or even the CZT all of which have better transmissions and bigger and better engine options for about the same money. Don't get me wrong, I love Hustler's but you have to be fair when comparing.

I think the problem was he was told the Badboy he was comparing was equal to the hustler, your right a CZT would have been a better comparison to the Hustler. But I think he made a good choice since he was happy, and I like the FastTrack over the badboy due to it is smoother and easier to control, I have really never liked the Badboy ZT though, I want to see better deck support for a 7gage deck.