PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall

TruVineLawn
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Alright guys...need some of your expert opinions. I have a customer who is wanting a retaining wall in place of an old wall of RR ties. He also wants a bid on just replacing the ties. The total length of the wall would be 136'. The long section is 85' long by 3' high. The next section is 9' long and 2' high. The next part would be 20' long and 1' high. I am going to have two 6' long and 2' high sections as well as two 3' long by 2' high sections. I will also have a 5' long by 2' high section and a 5' long by 1' high section. It is approximately 136' of wall. Roughly 332sqft of wall. I figure I will need approximately 27 cubic feet of base and about 100 cubic feet of drainage aggregate. He is wanting to use a block similar to the Oldcastle Rampart which is 6" high 16" long and 12" wide. I figured about 500 blocks will do this job. This will be a one or two man job. What is your estimate of of how long this job will take, and what would you bid with the block and/or the RR ties. I am really trying to get him to go with the block but budget may not allow it. I am one of 3 others putting a bid in. I would appreciate your help on this guys. Thanks in advance.

copeblk
05-25-2010, 10:07 PM
here's s simmular job i did in 07, used limestone boulders and a jd 250 to set. material was around 1000 if i remember right and 1500 for labor took 1 and a half weeks, had 3 total washout days, that i do remember!!! but it was a cheaper alt. to srw. just a suggestion...

copeblk
05-25-2010, 10:15 PM
couple more

TruVineLawn
05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Copeblk...great work...that really looks good. The only problem with doing this job that way is there is no possible way to get a skid steer in to do the job. Everything is going to have to be moved in and out with man power.
Posted via Mobile Device

xclusive
05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Cope that looks great!! How many square feet was that? How much did each of the stones weigh?

copeblk
05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
when i first looked at you pic's it looked wide open but now that i look closer it looks like a pool in the first picture.. yea might be a lik tough working that close to a pool.....:hammerhead: as far as square footage, it was 3 years ago, i couldnt give an exact number. gonna guess and say the long section 75 to 100 ft and the shorter one 40 to 50??? the bottom was about 4 to 5 feet high and the top section as 1 to 3... where i live there is a vast supply of lmestone,,, they crush it at the quarry but they also have an area where they place boulders probably about 5 acers worth and you take oyur equipment in and pick the ones you want. done quite a fer boulder walls, its cheap and quick and i personally like the looks, but i have also seen some wals that were just thrown together when the houses were built and the walls look HORRIABLE!!!

copeblk
05-25-2010, 11:12 PM
oh and the stones were anywhere from a few hundred to all the skid could do to pick them. 1800# i believe is the lift capp of a 250

copeblk
05-25-2010, 11:19 PM
not sure on the price of the wall block you were talking about using or how its installed, is it pinned or glued? obvoiously ti will last longer than ties if properally installed, so i would deffinality use that as your selling point!!! as with any wall the most important part is your prep and base, so dont skimp on that. get prices from your dist. and go from there. if i had to guess i would think your looking at at least 2 weeks espically if your digging it all by hand. any questions i'll be glad to help

DVS Hardscaper
05-25-2010, 11:49 PM
looks like a nice pool for us to demo........

Krafty
05-26-2010, 12:34 AM
here's s simmular job i did in 07, used limestone boulders and a jd 250 to set. material was around 1000 if i remember right and 1500 for labor took 1 and a half weeks, had 3 total washout days, that i do remember!!! but it was a cheaper alt. to srw. just a suggestion...

Did I read this right you were on a job for like probaly 5 days for $2500???????

copeblk
05-26-2010, 07:48 AM
yea, i think it was about that. 2 of the days it was raining is when i trucked in the stone and it was just me there for the remaining time, we gave them a price and it really doesnt matter if we're there 2 days or 6 weeks, i actually thikn it should of been more like another grand or so just due to wear and tear on , thoes boulders are rough on the equipment!

Krafty
05-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Wow the work looks great that is a good looking wall. I was just shocked at how cheap that was with a skidloader on site and trucking the materials.

PatriotLandscape
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
the skid alone should be added onto the job at about 100 a day. but if you made money then great. the project looks really nice.

copeblk
05-26-2010, 06:18 PM
i agree it should of been more, i didnt price it just did the work....

Krafty
05-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey the work looks Great!!! I really like that color of stone. We do alot of natural stone work and I have never seen that type of stone.

TruVineLawn
05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok guys...I came up with a bid of about $4500 dollars to do the wall with block. Do y'all think that is in the ball park? That includes removal of old railroad ties and all labor.

dclark2037
05-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Tru Vine. what type of wall block are you specing on this job?

TruVineLawn
05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
The homeowner wants to use anchor windsor block.
Posted via Mobile Device

Budlightshooter
05-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Alright guys...need some of your expert opinions. I have a customer who is wanting a retaining wall in place of an old wall of RR ties. He also wants a bid on just replacing the ties. The total length of the wall would be 136'. The long section is 85' long by 3' high. The next section is 9' long and 2' high. The next part would be 20' long and 1' high. I am going to have two 6' long and 2' high sections as well as two 3' long by 2' high sections. I will also have a 5' long by 2' high section and a 5' long by 1' high section. It is approximately 136' of wall. Roughly 332sqft of wall. I figure I will need approximately 27 cubic feet of base and about 100 cubic feet of drainage aggregate. He is wanting to use a block similar to the Oldcastle Rampart which is 6" high 16" long and 12" wide. I figured about 500 blocks will do this job. This will be a one or two man job. What is your estimate of of how long this job will take, and what would you bid with the block and/or the RR ties. I am really trying to get him to go with the block but budget may not allow it. I am one of 3 others putting a bid in. I would appreciate your help on this guys. Thanks in advance.

YOU want to use windsors for WHAT? tell him to read what the windsor block is really made for, if he wants it replaced in 4-5 years go ahead.......windsors were made for small decorative planters, not to retain earth, look at the guidelines and it states no wall over 2 ft or being of structural nature........if your at 332 sq ft you should be in the 10-16k ball park, anything less than 10 is really not worth the effort