PDA

View Full Version : Shovels/Rakes/Attachments in Enclosed Trailers

ewilly
05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
So I've come across a dilemma - I've got my trimmers, edger, BP blowers and other misc stuff hanging on racks in side my enclosed trailer. Now the only few things that I need ideas on the best way to hang and secure are the shovels, rakes, and other misc hand tools.

What do you guys with enclosed trailers use, and how much of a PITA is it to put them on and take them off the rack? I'm sick of throwing them on the floor, and finding them all over the place (or run over by a sliding walkbehind after an emergency stop :cry:)

Also, those of you with Kombi/PAS attachments - how do you stow them? Hang them on some sort of hook? In a cabinet?

DJJS
05-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I use the Green Touch handtool rack http://www.trailerracks.com/TC053.html
the big one can fit 10 handtools and the smaller one can fit 5, I've got one of each with some handtools on them and my Echo PAS hedge trimmer attatchment in one of the small handtool racks. Also if your mowers are getting free and running s*** over in the back of the trailer, you might want to get some faststraps

MarcSmith
05-26-2010, 03:32 PM
one option is to get a large 6" or greater hunk of PVC that 3' long and secure it in the corner of the trailer and start dropping tools in it so they stand up.. business end up and a sort bunjee cord to help keep in contained

another option would be to get some 2" PVC and make some racks for them so they stand vertically,. Ie the handles slide down into the pvc pive and each tool has an individual place or another option is to make a shelf in the front of the trailer so the tools could lay down, and have a ledge on it so the tools can' slide off. I saw it somwherer, not sure here or the other site. someone made a "drop down" rack that was enclosed and hung under the floor of the trailer(no lower than the axels) with a lid that opened up from the inside of the trailer . and the tools were in side that...it only needed to be about 6" deep of course this means cutting up your floor, but it looked very doable...

Personally I liked the shelf in the front of the trailer(non V nose) as the shelf is only about 12" tall and maybe 24" wide whic is perfect to sit over top of the any walk behind mowers, duels docks, ect... plus it also kept the sharp pointy ends from sticking you as you walk through the trailer..

the product above, if not put in the right locations it could be a head banger...

ewilly
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I do have to get FastStraps in the enclosed - I have them on my open trailer, and I miss them greatly! Just got my trailer a couple weeks ago, haven't had the time to move them yet... might have to do that tonight though, now that you reminded me Thumbs Up

I do agree the Green Touch rack would be a head banger, definitely could see myself running into it - even if it is bright yellow! Still might have to consider one of them for rakes and shovels though. I love my older GreenTouch trimmer racks.

As for the PVC tubes, that might be an option. I did SuperStrut on my open trailer with 2" PVC holding the handles. Might have to see if I can find a way to put them on a rack that could swing open enough to have enough room to pull the tool out. Kind of like putting a piano hinge horizontally on a support piece, with chains to allow it to swing open like 45 degrees...

I do like the idea of having a spot in the floor to stow them, but I could see having equipment parked over the access door being an issue. Maybe take that one step further and making it a big pull out drawer from the outside, lockable of course! I already have a workbench in the front where all my attachments currently hang out, but any bumpy road will knock them right off.

Keep the ideas coming though! Those suggestions have me thinking of ideas already :drinkup:

MarcSmith
05-26-2010, 04:09 PM
for the individual tool with 2" pvc. mount the PVC on a an angle on the wall like this

\ \ \ \

that way you don't have to worry about roof clearance to get the tools in/out.

if you do a side opening under the trailer think about when loading an unloading tools you potentially be standing out in the street feeding tools into the box. or up against a curb on the passenger side...

I would think any welding shop would be more than willing/able to make a something very easily...

google under body storage, tons of hits and lots of selection

at least with the top load from inside its a bit safer. plus you all you'd need to so would be to move one mower out of the trailer... and one less "lock" to have to worry about keeping locked

hosejockey2002
05-29-2010, 05:25 PM
For my Kombi attachments I mounted 2" PVC tubes to the ceiling stringers. I secure the attachments with bungee cords.

Az Gardener
05-29-2010, 06:41 PM
I have a wall only about 2' deep just to the right as you go into the trailer. I mounted some heavy duty home depot flip up hangers to that wall one up top and one on the bottom to keep the long handle tools from swinging around. about $6 each, I have 2 sets on that wall. So you can quickly reach things without climbing in and out of the trailer. The little niche behind the wall makes a good spot for the dunny too.

I Know our style of maint is much different than most so our tralers are chopped up and packed to the gills but I am very proud of them. We have a wall that separates the back of the trailer where all the mowers and the line trimmer racks are. It is about 6" from the left side of the side door, I have long handle racks near the door on that wall too. The wall is not solid except on the bottom to keep the mowers from rolling foreword. It has two shelves they have 3" steel lips to keep stuff from falling off, one just above the mower engines. We keep the blowers, burlap's and reel catchers on it. We also have one higher that we keep the vacuum's, hedgers, chain saw and specialty box's on. We have a set of bins (Sam's club $112) that is strapped to the inside front wall it has all the little stuff hand trowels, weed poppers, sprinkler heads, tree tie cable, rags, light bulbs, edger blades.

We also have a combination lunch cabinet and fold down table straight ahead as you walk in the side door. The front folds down to make a table and all the lunch stuff is in the cabinet on shelves.

On the front of the trailer outside I have a 15-g nurse tank from Northern tool $99 complete with gas station nozzle. It is mounted about 2' above the tongue and we have made the support rack a cabinet keep two cycle can and 2-cycle oil and all mechanical type fluids, lubricants etc. Again easy to get to without climbing in and out of the trailer. We have racks on top of the trailer to carry extension ladders, we have a variety from 22'-40' we carry 2 on each rig.

cutedge
07-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Keep the handtools on the truck, not in the trailer. For all of my trucks, I fabbed up holders that mount to the bulkhead on the pickup bed or flatbed. My guys love the tools on the trucks instead of in the trailers. Very easily accessible and you always have them, cause I'm sure you have jobs that don't require you to bring a trailer. Just a suggestion from my experience

Firefighter337
08-15-2010, 12:20 AM
quick fist clamps to the ceiling. Problem solved.

igotdiesel2
08-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Hey hosejockey2002 can you post some pictures of your set up? I use those broom style clamps to hold my PAS attachments and would like to see yours. Thanks Here is a picture of my setup. -Jason