PDA

View Full Version : How to move and load bulk mulch

jondcoleman
05-26-2010, 04:28 PM
We have been using bagged mulch for years but are starting to use bulk mulch more frequently bc of the lack of availability of quality, low priced bagged mulch.

We mainly do mowing and lawn care so we don't have a bobcat or dingo or anything. Does anyone have any tips for moving/loading bulk mulch other than hard-work and a shovel?

No dump-beds either btw.

Thanks!
Jon

twobroslawns
05-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I was just at homedepot and they had a whole row of parking spots filled up with 1 yard babs of mulch. It looked pretty good. The bags had handles on the top so they could load it with their forklift for you.

Glenn Lawn Care
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
have it delivered then wheel borrow it from there.

mwh350
05-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I use a Load Handler. You can get them from northern tool for a little over a hundred bucks. They work surprisingly well. You can use the load handler to fill your wheelbarrow's. I prefer to dump in on a 8 x12 tarp and drag it to the bed in question.

clean_cut
05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
have it delivered then wheel borrow it from there.

That's what I do, but you could also attach a cart to the back or the deck of your mower to haul the mulch, you can also buy them here http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=8

Mightymowinc
05-26-2010, 08:02 PM
If you can't drive your truck through the yard, back up to the mulch beds, then dump mulch, it can get a bit dicey. Best option i've found is tying a tarp behind the zeroturn and pulling it to the mulch beds. It's the best way to move alot of mulch at once.

hackitdown
05-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Loadhandler into 2 wheelbarrows is the best option if you choose not to use a dumptruck.

STIHL GUY
05-26-2010, 11:07 PM
i use a pitchfork or shovel to load wheel barrows from the pile in the truck

Kiril
05-27-2010, 10:21 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/RightHand.jpg

jbt79
05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I like the loadhandler, hadnt really seen one before, may go get one this weekend. I have been just getting it delivered, pass the delivery charge along to customers, and wheelbarrow. Wouldnt even think of doing bags, yeah they are easier, but around here bulk is half or less the price of buying bags

White Gardens
05-27-2010, 11:35 AM
To save time and effort......

I was buying the mulch at retail and having wherever I bought it from load it for me. Then just shovel it off into a 10ft sq. wheelbarrow. Just cleaner and easier.

hackitdown
05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/RightHand.jpg

Your date? :laugh:

360ci
05-27-2010, 09:35 PM
I empty out my utility trailer (non dump model), throw a tarp in and up over the 2' sides and load with mulch. I then drive to the client, get a couple of smaller rubbermaid containers and carry it up in that to where it has to go. Most of my mulch installations have included DOZENS of steps, so no wheelbarrow for me.

Most landscape supply places charge at least $60 in town to deliver up to 4cu yards of mulch. No thanks.

jondcoleman
06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies. The load handler looks cool but wouldn't work for the trucks we have (custom beds).

Any other tricks for getting mulch off the ground and onto a truck? For example, if we get mulch delivered to our shop, then need to take it somewhere.

Thanks again!

360ci
06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The load handler looks cool but wouldn't work for the trucks we have (custom beds).

Any other tricks for getting mulch off the ground and onto a truck? For example, if we get mulch delivered to our shop, then need to take it somewhere.

Thanks again!

You can price around for a smaller front end loader with a huge amount of hours on it for a lower price, but it'll still be pricey to use it just for that. If you use a tractor around the shop to cut grass/weeds, etc, look into getting a bucket for it if it has PTO.

mwh350
06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Can you post a picture of your custom beds? As far as loading goes you really need a tractor, Skid Steer, Backhoe or the like to get it all done correctly.

D3athbym3tal
06-03-2010, 06:05 PM
The only other way to do it is somehow get the mulch elevated, then drive the truck underneath or beside whatever you have it elevated on and shove the mulch off..
just a spur of the moment idea..
Something to think about if you really can't afford a tractor.

Or just use that fork and shovel :weightlifter:

punt66
06-03-2010, 06:17 PM
i use a pitchfork or shovel to load wheel barrows from the pile in the truck

exactly what i do. Many on here like to make it more difficult apparently. Leave it in the truck and there is less mess at the clients property and you dont have to load excess.

Cutter1
06-03-2010, 06:29 PM
We use our bark blower. seems to come in handy.

punt66
06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
We use our bark blower. seems to come in handy.

May work in your plan but not in most.

punt66
06-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks again!

a loader is your only way!

aclassic
06-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Loadhandler $59 from harbor freight online
$10 shipping

brucec32
06-23-2010, 10:56 AM
exactly what i do. Many on here like to make it more difficult apparently. Leave it in the truck and there is less mess at the clients property and you dont have to load excess.

I think they're referring to bigger mulch jobs, not 10 yds from your dump or 3 yds from your pickup.

I spread something like 100 yds this winter with a pitchfork and tow cart, but I'm shopping for a small loader now. I have more cash than energy at my age, and even if all it could do was load the dump cart, it'd be a big help. The ability to move topdressing sand, dig holes for planting and fences, and till is a plus as well if one does all that. Buying used one would probably not have a ton of depreciation to deal with.