PDA

View Full Version : What is my motor?

billebob
03-28-2000, 12:07 PM
Me and a buddy just picked up a 79 Chvey Pickup that was given to us by a local farm We want to use it as a parts truck but are wondering what type of motor it is. It has a d on the vin number that says it should be a 250 Inline 6, right? Well, it's a V8 with what looks like a 1 barrel carb. It has air conditioning from the factory also. The guys that it came from say its the factory motor and they aren't the kind of guys to swap motors in a truck. Any help?<br><p>----------<br>Bill Herz<br>http://members.tripod.com/mopar00

yortengel
03-28-2000, 05:09 PM
Is there an Emissions sticker on the AirCleaner or up by the fan shroud? this my have more information on it. It sounds like a 350 two bolt main out of a car. There should be some I/D information on the block by the right cylinder head. should be a three digit code. Some times you can decode these with a motors manual. I have had limited success at this. If all else fails. take it apart. This always works. But it is alot of work. Remember. the 305's have a smaller harmonic balancer. Good Luck

Oilman
04-12-2000, 07:18 PM
Send me the engine code and I will look it up.<p>----------<br>Get Amsoil Products at WHOLESALE!<br>www.synthetic-motor-oil.com