PDA

View Full Version : Critics for a shrub trimming job I did

JCLawn and more
05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
I did this job for a lady, I cut about 6inches to a foot off this shrubs. I want some honest criticism for this. Tell me what I did wrong and how to make it better for next time. I feel that I don't do a outstanding job, so I don't like to do it or charge a lot for it.

MileHigh
05-27-2010, 10:19 PM
I think they look good.

JCLawn and more
05-27-2010, 10:20 PM
pretty crappy pictures, they were with my crappy phone. try to go off the top one. The nakedness of the bush is not my fault.

JCLawn and more
05-27-2010, 10:25 PM
you cant tell, but I cut this lawn from 4 inch to 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch high. I did not bag this. I ran over it 4 times to work it into the grass. The first time over it just made a windrow of a foot wide. It was a done with a 42inch 2 blade residential zero turn which does not chop of the grass at all, do to the modifications I have done with the deck. Like a 7 gauge steel plate inside of the mower deck.

JCLawn and more
05-27-2010, 10:28 PM
well, the grass does not come above the sole of my shoe when I stand in the yard. I hate it that short! but that is what she wants.

JCLawn and more
05-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I think they look good.

thank you. I think I can be tough on myself.

topsites
05-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Seeing how you might be working for crazy lady I think those shrubs look DANG GOOD!
Any other time, they still look pretty decent.

It's got a unique style, I can see it, maybe you're not quite there yet or maybe you
are but just stick with what you do, I think they turned out decent.

The grass is another story...
READ: I fight tooth and nail NOT to drop my cut below 4".
So far I'm winning but the outcome isn't always cheap.
Yes, I have lost and probably will lose customers over it,
that's not what I'm proud of, it's that I'm onto something
and I BELIEVE in what I'm doing.

But, if you're doing what a man's got to do to survive, I got jobs like that too.
Just not the grass lol

Peace out

JCLawn and more
05-27-2010, 10:59 PM
It's got a unique style, I can see it,
LOL! were you just being stupid? or serious? All I did was round them. I don't like square because then it has to be even. That is hard to do.

Hoy landscaping
05-27-2010, 11:00 PM
one thing with the trimming. from those crappy pictures. take a little bit less off. it looks like you took a bit to much of some bushes. but it looks pretty good other then that

blakerugg
05-27-2010, 11:07 PM
i think they look good. if youre feeling bad about yoursef, find the thread on here about one eyed larry. also, have u tried to tell the HO that its unhealthy for that grass to be so short?

JCLawn and more
05-27-2010, 11:08 PM
if they were my own, I would of left more on. They only get a once a year trim. I took a lot off though.

JCLawn and more
05-27-2010, 11:11 PM
I am trying. I showed her the scalped spots. This is a mid mount mower. It is lower than what my woods(grasshopper) will do. It get fertilized 4 times a year, so the grass is not hurting to bad, it bounces back quick.

blakerugg
05-27-2010, 11:14 PM
im surprised that even tho it gets 4 feedings that weeds dont come in. oh well. good luck convincing her lol. try and explain how short grass makes for weak roots, which is how weeds take over, yada yada yada...

twcw5804
05-27-2010, 11:15 PM
I second the search for one eyed Larry. That post did not hang around enough. I linked friends I have that are full time LCOs and they got a kick out of it.

I cut at 3 or 3.5 inch depending on the yard. I will never go that low with my equipment, youll kill the grass and your mower when you hit a tree root or something sticking out of the yard

Bushes look good
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
05-27-2010, 11:21 PM
oh I know. I hit a dip in the yard and bent a blade, and torn my spindle though through my deck(hence the 7 gauge plate) I remembered that dip every time now. I got her to go one notch up. So it will be at 1 inch or so. My woods will do 1 1/4 inches and that looked good to me.

Grass Shark
05-28-2010, 12:01 PM
looks good

jvanvliet
05-30-2010, 11:20 AM
shrubs look fine.. lawn- eh not so good

cgaengineer
05-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Considering what you had to work with you did a fine job.

Kiril
05-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Pic 4 .... if the intent was a living fence, which it probably is (was), then you screwed up.

JCLawn and more
05-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Pic 4 .... if the intent was a living fence, which it probably is (was), then you screwed up.

I don't know what you mean. The shrubs were not the same size or age to begin with.

JCLawn and more
05-31-2010, 01:44 AM
shrubs look fine.. lawn- eh not so good

thats how short she wanted her lawn. Would not of been my choice. 1/2 to 3/4 inch does not look good unless you have a reel mower.

White Gardens
05-31-2010, 01:58 AM
Do you know what kind of bushes they were to begin with??? They almost look like Lilacs.

They look decent. Not too bad of a job, and they'll grow back regardless of how well you didn't or didn't do. If they are lilacs though, you might have issues with blooming next spring.

One picture jumped out as having a "stump" looking branch at the base. Don't leave those, just cut those odd ones out to the ground.

Also, those bushes look old, so I'm guessing there is dead branches inside the bushes. Go through and cut out the dead wood with good pruning shears. Just find the end of the dead branch and follow it all the way back to where it connects to a healthy stem and cut it there.

This way the openings will allow for new growth to grow into the holes. If you leave the dead branches than the new growth is just competing with the dead stuff and it will never fill in. That and you allow for more air flow in the bush to help ward of infections.

One other thing you should keep in mind is perspective. Being up close and personal while pruning doesn't show you the true shape. Take a quick break and step back about 10 yards and look at the shrub from different angles. Take you time and only cut off and look before you cut more.

When it comes to squaring bushes such as yews next to houses, use the lines on the house to use as a strait line. If it's a brick house, pick out a row of bricks, if it's a house with siding, pick out a row of siding, etc...

JCLawn and more
05-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Do you know what kind of bushes they were to begin with??? They almost look like Lilacs.

I don't know, I don't claim to be a bush expert. I have a lot to learn about everything. I never thought about cutting the dead growth, or using the lines on the house as guidelines. I have not been able to trim square bushes by a house yet, they have been out in the open.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-03-2010, 01:13 AM
1/2 to 3/4 inch cut on the grass? Can you possibly drop a deck down that low?
Goodness sakes!

JCLawn and more
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
1/2 to 3/4 inch cut on the grass? Can you possibly drop a deck down that low?
Goodness sakes!

yes it can. That is my 4 notch up :D My mower deck has had way to many modifications. It goes from 0 inch to about 3 inches high.

Raymond S.
06-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Looks like maybe burning bushes? I have alot of those at my residential accounts, actually quite a few commercials too. My customers are constantly on me to get aggressive with the trimming. You just about can't kill them. I have a hedge I cut back last week below a customer's window. I cut off about 12" on the height to where there was no new growth on the top, just sticks. Told them it would look like azz for a while 'til it fills in, they were cool with that. My point is, if this was your first trim for this customer I would have taken the time to try and get them all similar in size and shape knowing that would result in some getting hacked more than others, but eventually they would all fill in. Next year the trimming would be easy.
Not a bad job for a normal trim though, just something to think about.