PDA

View Full Version : why all the burn - outs?

dr grass
07-14-2002, 02:45 PM
Its too bad alot of you guys are getting burned - out with cutting grass only half way through the year. i even heard a few of you throwing around the idea of getting out of the business. i wish there was something i could do or say to encourage you all. i mean dont get me wrong, i have my days, but i deeply love what i am doing. i keep a good schedule of working out with weights, eating right, and getting adequate sleep (usually lol). but that really comes into play on these hot days when the sun takes a bigger toll on the body, and on your mental well - being. i can only say drink plenty of water when working out in the sun. also, i take a herbal anti-depressent called st. johns wart. this helps keep you focused and from getting the "half - time blues" stick to your guns, and it will all work out in the end. take care all.

Shep :blob4:

65hoss
07-14-2002, 03:07 PM
To add to the exercise comment, to many LCO's think they get enough exercise doing this work. Its just not the same. Its better than a lot of people get, but you really do need a good cardo and strenght training program to keep you going long term in this or any other biz. Not to mention---Life.

I think most people get burned out due to trying to stay solo and killing themselves or trying to make every dollar possible and not enjoying life. All work and no play.

rodfather
07-14-2002, 03:12 PM
Ditto, hoss...too many solo LCO's trying to do too much by themselves.

dr grass
07-14-2002, 03:15 PM
i agree 100% hoss. i forgot to add that im also an avid runner, mt. biker, hiker, and kayaker. it is a must to keep your heart in good shape. like you said hoss, there is no way you can get enough exercise doing just lawn care. he!!, in the spring and fall i dont even break a sweat all day long. lol. i run in a few races around the area here in flint and up north in grayling. im starting my traiining this week, for the "bobby crim" 10 mile run at the end of next month. this is my 4th annual run. i also attent several concerts and let me tell you, you gotta be in good shape to survive in those mosh pits...lol. anything to get the heart pumping.

Shep

Dennis E.
07-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Keyword.... Balance.

I'm more tired of the rain than anything else. The season is flying by. But I'm not burned out.Feel pretty darn good yet.

Got to have balance. Family time,rec. time. And just plain rest!
I exercise 3-4 times per week. It sure helps.
Don't forget the back support also. :D ;)

Hang in there.
(Being a little :dizzy: helps too!)

Albemarle Lawn
07-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Cardio (stairmaster, cross-trainers, etc) help me a lot.

Also, it is helpful to keep you gut muscles strong to prevent back injuries.

ken

ProSeasons
07-14-2002, 05:31 PM
I thught I was the only excercise freak on here! Sweet!! Squats, Semi-stiff leg deadlift, bench press, clean and jerk, chins and dips along with your favorite ab excersise and you just nailed your whole body! Takes about 25 minutes to complete. Leaves about 40 min. for that running. This is the perfect LCO workout, lawns will prove no match!:D

Evan528
07-14-2002, 06:19 PM
Maybe its just me but....... working out is about the last thing I feel like doing when Im not working!!!! I prefer to relax when Im not busting my but for a living!

awm
07-14-2002, 07:26 PM
evan i know it seems crazy . but if u are going to do this work and ride a machine ,
u really gonna have to head off the
physical problems that just come with this or any job. the best way i know is a 15-30 minute program 4-5 times a wk.
of course many do much more than that but im not in training for an event.
just maintaining the body an mind in a way that saved my life. up to now anyway. ps i appologise ,u dont have to do anything. but it would benefit u i believe.now if u are walking behind a walk behind all day u are already in pretty good shape.

Evan528
07-14-2002, 07:56 PM
I only sit on a machine (cut grass) 2 days a week. The other 3-4 days we do landscape instalations and maintance wich is very physically exhausting work. I guess the guys sitting a machine 5 days a week would need a regular workout schedule.

TheGrassGuy
07-14-2002, 08:14 PM
I too find the benefit of an exercise program. Free weights 4 days a week, never more than an hour, first thing in the morning - too tired at night. I finding eating and drinking properly a big help. Limited fast/junk food and lots of water - not soft drinks. In the winter I also do cardio.

DLS1
07-14-2002, 09:58 PM
dr grass - I saw the St John's Wort at Walmart - you need to read all the cautions on herbal bottles. For St. John's Wort is says 'due to the potential photosensitizing properties if St John's Wort, avoid prolonged exposure to sun.'

agrostis palustris
07-14-2002, 10:07 PM
I do my work during the week, and then about 5 days a week I go and get on a lifecycle for about 1/2 an hour. I feel a lot better after that. Do a day's work and then get on the bike. Watch the stocks and news. Feels good. I don't cut much grass. The bulk of the work that I actually do is VERY physically demanding, as well as mentally demanding. That is what I get my high off of though.