PDA

View Full Version : 66" Hustler cut quality issues

Ron's TLL
05-28-2010, 12:51 AM
I demo'ed a 60" Hustler with the 31 Kaw last week and was very impressed. It would cut at full speed and leave a decent enough finish. The dealer had a 66" on the floor with the same 31 Kaw, so I bought it. I used it today for the first time, and am very disappointed. Same property, same growth, would not cut anywhere near as well as the 60". I am hoping the dealer and Hustler will exchange the mower for a 60". Anyone else run into a similar issue?

mowerconsultant
05-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Have you talked to your dealer yet?
I am sure they will take a look at it and find out why its doing this.
It could be as simple as engine RPM adjustment or deck adjustment.

Pj

Ron's TLL
05-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Dropped it off an hour ago. rep says there are some possible adjustments that can be made. Already checked rpm, pitch, and belt. Better, but still not nearly as good as the 60"

Ron's TLL
05-28-2010, 06:15 PM
We checked and adjusted the rpm to 3800, tightened the belt, and checked deck pitch (1/4"). It cut better, but still not nearly as well as the 60" I demoed. I dropped it back off today. The rep said there are some adjustments that can be made. I hope there are as I would like to keep the 66". They are having a 60" shipped in just in case.

Imow4u2
06-11-2010, 11:18 PM
It's been my experience that the 66 in all ways cuts better than the 60.. I've had both so....

Ron's TLL
06-14-2010, 10:17 PM
The dealer could not get the 66 to cut as well as the 60. So, I swapped mowers. The 66 also seemed underpowered with the 31Kaw, but the 60 doesn't. They delivered the new mower to me with the engine set to 3600 rpm, and the deck set with no pitch. They added in a bad attitude for free as well. I guess buying two mowers in two years doesn't earn much these days. Oh well, their are plenty of other places to spend money.

As far as how you have your's set up, do you prefer 1/4" or 1/2" pitch for the deck?

puppypaws
06-15-2010, 10:42 PM
My 66" XR-7 cuts as good or better than the 60's I've owned. I was cutting this afternoon after a light shower of rain as fast as the Super Z would run with absolutely no grass left standing after one pass cutting at 2.75".

puppypaws
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
The dealer could not get the 66 to cut as well as the 60. So, I swapped mowers. The 66 also seemed underpowered with the 31Kaw, but the 60 doesn't. They delivered the new mower to me with the engine set to 3600 rpm, and the deck set with no pitch. They added in a bad attitude for free as well. I guess buying two mowers in two years doesn't earn much these days. Oh well, their are plenty of other places to spend money.

As far as how you have your's set up, do you prefer 1/4" or 1/2" pitch for the deck?

1/8 to 1/4, definitely not 1/2!

You would think in these tough economic times dealers would get away from treating their customers, as if they were doing them a favor by letting them buy their equipment.

I can say you should never have a power issue with the 31 on a 60" deck. I am waiting on a 36 to 40 hp efi and I will be the first to buy when it is built. I have always believed in having excess hp, I'm the kind of person that just never cares to hear the engine rpm's drop for any reason.

Ron's TLL
06-16-2010, 03:42 PM
What blades, deck pitch, and baffle setting are you guys using? Double blades? Thanks

Imow4u2
06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm running 1/4 positive pitch, Factory fusions (no doubles). My only complaint with my 31's is I can't get the rpm's I want, I'm maxed at 3650-3670.. I told my dealer 3750 before I wrote the check, he said they were surging north of 3700.. I tried to adjust myself after 100 hrs...... he was right!! I feel I'm losing some QOC with the slower rpm, although the 31 holds it better than my efi would.

I hope you have the "B" Deck if not that's your prob.

Ron's TLL
06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
"B"-deck? What's the difference and how can I tell?

mowerconsultant
06-24-2010, 04:51 PM
"B"-deck? What's the difference and how can I tell?

The B deck has baffling in it to help with airflow in the lazy northern grasses.
You can tell by your model # of your mower, it will have a "A" or "B" behind it.

Pj

lynchlawn
06-25-2010, 05:19 PM
I have an A deck on a 72 for northern grass and the 72 does NOT work well with a mulch kit. would a B deck be any better. where is the added baffling located. the design of the old non-xr7 72 (69in)decks was much better. that design also mulched grass.

Imow4u2
06-27-2010, 10:50 PM
The B deck has baffling in it to help with airflow in the lazy northern grasses.
You can tell by your model # of your mower, it will have a "A" or "B" behind it.

Pj

Easy there PJ, I think you meant "PLUSH" northern grasses..:cool2:

mowerconsultant
06-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I have an A deck on a 72 for northern grass and the 72 does NOT work well with a mulch kit. would a B deck be any better. where is the added baffling located. the design of the old non-xr7 72 (69in)decks was much better. that design also mulched grass.

The baffling in a b deck looks very much like the baffling in the old non XR-7 decks.

Pj

mowerconsultant
06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Easy there PJ, I think you meant "PLUSH" northern grasses..:cool2:

Yes.. Plush... but yet lazy plush grasses... lol...

Ron's TLL
07-01-2010, 01:08 AM
PJ, When I demo'ed the 31/60", I was very impressed, as I stated earlier. I was told the 66 cut the same, but it didn't for me. So I got the 31/60. It cuts better, but still not the same as the demo unit. The day I picked up the new mower, I made it very clear to my dealer that I wanted them to bring back the demo unit so I could set up mine exactly the same. One week, no unit. Two weeks, no unit. Now 4-5 weeks later, I am told the demo unit is no longer available. My dealer, as I am finding out, has very little product knowledge in general, and has no idea how the baffle settings, deck pitch, etc. will affect the cut. The sales rep, the owners son, has been very rude about the whole deal. So much so that I almost cancelled the order. I just want my mower to cut like the demo unit. That thing cut grass at full speed, and left very few stragglers. No, I do not cut all my lawns at 15mph, but some I can. Some of my runs are literally 1/4 mile long, and relatively smooth. Being able to go from 9-10 mph to 15 mph will drastically cut down on labor. The demo unit could do it will quality to spare. Mine will not.

Bottom line is, how will raising or lowering the front baffle affect the cut, primarily stragglers? Same with deck pitch. Dual blades? Can I reach a local Hustler rep directly, or do I need to go through a dealer? I loved the demo. If it had cut like mine does, I would have stayed with Exmark. Please help.

mowerconsultant
07-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Bottom line is, how will raising or lowering the front baffle affect the cut, primarily stragglers? Same with deck pitch. Dual blades? Can I reach a local Hustler rep directly, or do I need to go through a dealer? I loved the demo. If it had cut like mine does, I would have stayed with Exmark. Please help.

Raising the front baffle will allow the taller weeds . stragglers to get cut quicker.
Deck pitch should be 1/8th to a 1/4 inch higher in the rear.
Dual blades, we dont use them, I cant recommend them.
Email me and I can have a regional manager work with your dealer.

Pj

Mickhippy
07-07-2010, 03:58 AM
What pressure do you have in the drive tires?
Point is, if you inflate them to say 20psi or more you will basically raise the back of the deck... some!
I would inflate them (safely) to get a better pitch on the deck and see how it goes. Just for testing purposes mind you!
If it cuts any better with the greater pitch, you can adjust the deck accordingly with the tires back at 10psi or what ever.

Just an easy way to eliminate a potential cause!

Ron's TLL
07-08-2010, 01:50 AM
To be clear, raising the front baffle will leave less stragglers? Why would I ever need to have it in the lower position? Deck pitch @ 1/8'-1/4" is where I am at. Thanks again.
Ron

blackandgold
07-09-2010, 01:40 PM
There are many, many people involved in trying to help you.