PDA

View Full Version : Unique Voyager step light

sprinkler guy
05-28-2010, 02:30 AM
I hope Joey chimes in whenever he happens to see this post.

I have a job with a dozen step lights called for in a few places. Not a fan of step lights, but sometimes they are a needed. My preferred step light as of late has been the FX CP, which is the half brick size light. The one big negative is the large size of the faceplate. On this job, the homeowner didn't like the size of the FX, so she asked for some options. This job is at the beach, so I specified a non-metal housing for the poured in concrete box. I looked at the Unique Voyager, the catalogue said a composite box, so I showed her the faceplate sample I got from the supply house, and she was sold. The big bummer is the install detail Unique gives. The fixture is a composite box, potted at the back of the housing where the 25' lead comes out, and a metel reflector plate in the front for the socket and bulb. This is all one piece. The install detail is to set the fixture in the concrete form and lay the wire through the concrete pour. No conduit, no box to leave at the site, but the actual fixture. I called Unique to ask if this was right, and the guy I got assured me there was nothing wrong with laying the wire in the concrete since it was just low-voltage, and to not worry about conduit. His dismissive attitude did nothing to make me feel better about it. I ended up rigging some conduit to the back of the fixture housing so the wire isn't set right in the concrete, but I will never use these again for a concrete pour.

I don't have an axe to grind against Unique. I've used quite a bit of their product at my discretion the last year and a half, but this is on my do not use list now. Do you guys have any concerns about setting a light like this in concrete?

Pro-Scapes
05-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Makes ya kinda miss Joey and all his help doesn't it.

emby
05-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Sean, its funny you brought this up as I had a very similar situation. I researched the Vista 2146 and I have attached the installation specs for you.
I was going to use these for all the staircases on a large project but they had already poured two of them so I was forced into looking for a retro fit.
Not too sure if you have a distributor around you for Vista but it is a very robust fixture for that application.
Hope this helps in future projects.

Ken

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-28-2010, 09:27 PM
The Vista 2146-CSN is my louvered step/"brick" light of choice.
http://www.vistapro.com/Product.aspx?ProdID=110&CatID=2&typeID=5

As for not using conduit on the 12/2 circuit wire... That guy you talked to at Unique is 100% WRONG. The lime in the cement/mortar will eventually eat through the PVC jacket of our landscape lighting cable. It will take some time but it will happen. You should always use conduit to protect the wire in any application where fresh concrete or mortar will come in direct contact.

sprinklerchris
06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Ditto on the Vista step lights. They have a floating cover plate that makes it easy to get everything perfectly level.

wbaptist
06-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Sean,

I am sorry you were given incorrect information. I have attached page 3 of our installation instructions showing the conduits ran into the box. The reason we made the box out of a composite was so the contractor could drill and install conduit. We also made our boxes a little deeper so you could gang the boxes together in cinder block wall using the channel provided in the block. I hope this helps you in the future.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/rusty51501978/Voyager8InstallInstructions-3.jpg

sprinkler guy
06-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Sean,

I am sorry you were given incorrect information. I have attached page 3 of our installation instructions showing the conduits ran into the box. The reason we made the box out of a composite was so the contractor could drill and install conduit. We also made our boxes a little deeper so you could gang the boxes together in cinder block wall using the channel provided in the block. I hope this helps you in the future.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/rusty51501978/Voyager8InstallInstructions-3.jpg

I bought twelve of the Voyager 5s and that detail isn't in any of the boxes. I 'll post the date code tomorrow. Also, the 25' lead of wire coming out the center back is potted. How can I drill into the composite box? The detail you show isn't on the website either when I go to the product page and click the "printable specifications sheet" pdf, which clearly shows the wire set in the concrete. Was I supposed to order a special version of the light without the 25' lead?

wbaptist
06-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes, Please post the date code. I would like to research here at the factory to see what happened.

All our boxes come equiped with the wire potted through the back. If you remove the 2 screws that hold the reflector and sockets in place you will find a loop of wire. We put this loop in for the guys using condiut. You can cut the loop and connect your new wires and eliminate the wire coming out of the potting.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/rusty51501978/TestPrint6-2-10.jpg