PDA

View Full Version : Mowing with compact tractor

GreginAlaska
07-14-2002, 04:51 PM
Hi All, I have a New Holland 1530 Boomer tractor 4wd supersteer it weighs about 2500 pounds. I currently have the R4 industrial tires on it that tear up the turf if you are not very carefull with it. I was thinking about switching to turf tires and a bellymower to mow large lawns with. Is it too heavy or??? Would I be wasting my money?
Thanks!
Greg

wxmn6
07-14-2002, 06:11 PM
Since I am a John Deere guy, I have seen many people using JD compact tractors with turf tires to mow their lawn with either mid and rear mount mower. The tires that you currently have will tear up the lawn because there are less surface area on the tires that will hit the ground, so that mean there are more weights placed on smaller area (tire bars) which mean more compaction to the ground. With the turf tires, there are more surface area on it and still have treads, so that mean more weight will be distributed evenly. 2500 pounds does not sound bad to me. I drove my Toyota pickup on the lawn many times before with all terrain tires and it never do any damage to the lawn. Once you put turf tires on your tractor, you should not worry about turf damage.

awm
07-14-2002, 07:14 PM
i would xpect that what u call mowing up there might be a little different than the norm for the lower 48. sounds like u may mow high acreage accts or what ever.
but then u are concerened with turf damage so mabe a description of a typical job. sp

rvsuper
07-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Our city has the same kind of tractor you were talking about (the New Holland) and they mow 3 baseball fields, 7 soccer fields, and 4 softball fields in about one day. They are all pretty close to each other, so that takes some time off getting around, too.

GreginAlaska
07-18-2002, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the info! The type of mowing here could be anything from a few thousand square feet kentucky blue/ fescue lawn to somebodies 30 acre "pasture". We haven't done much lawn maintenance, mostly lawn installations, dot hydroseeding, retaining walls etc. My wife wants to quit doing the "heavy jobs" and has been thinking about lawn maintenance. I have no idea if that is less work or not and I hate to go buy some expensive equipment to start.
Thanks again!

Greenie
07-19-2002, 07:24 PM
You may have to change the wheels too, turf tires have a different inside diameter than ag/con tires have.
My JD 790 weighs about 2,500lbs and only leaves tire marks in wet spongy grass - otherwise, the weight is distributed over a wide area with little damage done to the turf.
Mid mount is much easier to navigate around, the rear mount swings wide and does take a little more effort to mow small areas.