PDA

View Full Version : Home Owner Stripes

lawnstriper23
05-28-2010, 08:07 AM
I was going through some old pictures on my PC and found these. Two of the pictures are from the days before having a ZTR. The pictures were taken probably 4 years ago and I used a Craftsman 21" with a Honda engine (which I still have). The last picture is probably from 3 years ago when I bought my first ZTR (Hustler MFT).
Enjoy :)

I will take some pictures of how the yard looks currently. Things have changed allot...

MS_SURVEYOR
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Those Northern Grasses sure do strip pretty. Thanks for the pictures.

Keep Up The Good Work!

:drinkup:

eatonpcat
05-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Looks good for N. Ridgeville... At least you cut your grass!!!:laugh::laugh::drinkup:

mdvaden
05-31-2010, 12:13 PM
The grass guys and their stripes always amuse me.

It would sort of be comparable to us showing photos that we were not bald with brushed hair.

Guess green looks good ...

:)

lawnstriper23
06-03-2010, 03:20 PM
So nobody wants to share pictures of stripes? I guess your all to afraid to put your stripes up agianest mine. I guess that is why my user name is Lawnstriper and yours isn't :weightlifter:

RDA
06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
So nobody wants to share pictures of stripes? I guess your all to afraid to put your stripes up agianest mine. I guess that is why my user name is Lawnstriper and yours isn't :weightlifter:

It is your thread, you never invited anyone else to post pics. Also, you stated you were going to post updated pics so maybe some were curious about that before saying anything further.

Regards,

Rich

newdude
06-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Providing you would like other homeowners to post...I may have some pics in a few days...

mowerdude777
06-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Looks really great keep it up

marksc
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeh, why not. Back yard 3.25 inches last year with the Scag (man did that cut well). I still need to take pics this year with the Exmark.

lawnstriper23
06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Yikes, I didn't invite others to post pix of their stripes. My bad ;)
I am actually working on edging my beds and mulching so updated pix are coming. Sorry for the confusion :dizzy:
I would love to see other home owner stripes.

mattw107
06-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Well, since you invited...here's some I took yesterday. Also a few of my poor-man's striper.

mattw107
06-12-2010, 10:59 AM
And the rest... (sorry for the crappy quality - all from the cell phone).

MS_SURVEYOR
06-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd say those stripes look good!

kcp877
06-18-2010, 05:00 PM
mattw107, can you tell me what you used to build that striper? I have an old bobcat ransomes 48 that I'd love to put a cheap striping unit on.

Thanks, can't wait to bolt this up, hopefully it's not too difficult.

mattw107
06-19-2010, 09:00 AM
mattw107, can you tell me what you used to build that striper? I have an old bobcat ransomes 48 that I'd love to put a cheap striping unit on.

Thanks, can't wait to bolt this up, hopefully it's not too difficult.

Not much really. Keeping in mind I don't have easy access to a welder, I just wanted something I could throw together in my garage. Got everything from HD.

Bracket: 1" flat stock, 1"x1" angle, and threaded rod (I think they all were 3' or 4' lengths - and I think the threaded rod was 5/16") Cut the flat stock and bend into L brackets as needed. Drill and bolt it up - hopefully my pictures will show this well enough.

Roller: 3" PVC - they also had the end caps (I think they are called "test caps" - just have to drill holes in them for the rod). Put one end cap on - insert threaded rod - fill with something heavy (sand, rocks, whatever) - put other end cap on.

Hardware: Just a bunch of nuts & bolts. NOTE: I used NYLOCK nuts (lots of different names for these - NYLOCK, elastic stop nuts, etc.) - this eliminates the need for lock washers or double-nutting. Try to get the same dia. nuts & bolts as the threaded rod (which I believe was 5/16") - that way you can grab a bunch of the nuts.

There were a couple of holes already in the mower frame, right where I needed them - and probably will be on yours as well. I used a clevis pin/cotter pin on each side so I can pop it off when needed.

It took me maybe 30 mins to throw it together, and I realize it's as plain-jane as it gets - but I just wanted something quick and easy. Been using it for about 2 months on my 1.5 acre lawn - haven't had any problems yet.

bobcat48
06-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Looks really good.

MDTRD
06-30-2010, 11:47 PM
To the OP, Marksc and Mattw107, what type of grass is that? I'm assuming some sort of fescue?

mark123
06-30-2010, 11:57 PM

My house:
http://boughterslawncare.com/images/myLawn.jpg

My church:
http://boughterslawncare.com/Content/images/churchYard.jpg

Toro Proline 36", no stripe kit.

marksc
07-01-2010, 12:16 AM
MDTRD, A mix of fescue, rye, bluegrass and every weed imaginable from the field next door. And boy is it brown now with no real rain in three week.

lungs414
07-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Nothing like an adult game of I'll show you mine if you show me yours>
LOL:laugh:

mattw107
07-04-2010, 10:38 AM
MDTRD:

Sames as Mark's - typical cool-climate blend. I did overseed last year with some fescue in the shady areas. Haven't seen a drop of rain here in about 2 weeks, so mine is also brown and crunchy. Oh well - it'll come back.

Matt

MDTRD
07-10-2010, 02:33 AM
That's what I figured. I'm in the transition zone, so I'll be using a transition blend or whatever Southern States sells for this area. I have 1.2 acres now, so no more Lessco like before for my 1/3 acre.

kcp877
06-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Mattw, what kind of blades do you run on your mower. I had to sell mine last year but I finally found another same model and will be building your stripe kit soon. I want to mulch think you are as well

Capemay Eagle
06-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Mattw, what kind of blades do you run on your mower. I had to sell mine last year but I finally found another same model and will be building your stripe kit soon. I want to mulch think you are as well
You may want to PM matt or email him, oddly enough, that was his last post!

mattw107
07-19-2011, 05:59 PM

kcp - sent you a PM - I guess it hasn't been a year, oh well. Sorry again.

I forgot to mention the striper. Still working fine, but I may make 1 change:

The flat stock that attaches to the mower - I think I'll change that to 1X1 angle. The flat stock bends a little, which allows the roller to shift just a but from side-to-side.

Other than than, I'm quite pleased (for a few bucks and half hour's work).