PDA

View Full Version : AVOID: DEADBEATS: National Landscaping Service, Inc.

Albemarle Lawn
07-14-2002, 03:57 PM
AVOID: for negligent and blatant non-payment for services.

National Landscaping Service, Inc.
1010 Pennsylvania Avenue
Saint Cloud, FL 34769

Also does business under the names:

American Turnkey Group, and
ATK Puerto Rico

In January of 2002 we were contacted by Jessica at National Landscaping Service, inc. to arrange snow removal services for CVS drugstores in Charlottesville, Virginia.

On January 19th 2002 snow accumualted to approximately 4" and we plowed and salted at 2 locations, total bill under $500.

Our invoices were submitted on a timely basis and never paid.

Our phone calls have either been not returned, or we have been provided with various excuses, such as "CVS has not paid us so we can't pay you, etc"

Recently I phoned asking for an address to have court papers delivered to and that message has not been returned.

Additionally, the National Landscaping Service requested from us a bid for the lawn and grounds maintenance at the CVS drug stores. They indicated that they wanted to hire us but that I would need to up my liablility insurance from $1million to $2million.
I contacted my insurer and the increase cost about $650/ year. Meanwhile, National Landscaping's agreement with CVS was severed and we lost the contract along with National Landscaping Service.

Has anyone else done business with this firm? If so, what was the outcome.

My advice: AVOID NATIONAL LANDSCAPING SERVICE, AMERICAN TURNKEY GROUP, AND ATK PUERTO RICO.

I will be filing a lawsuit naming all of the above and CVS stores as co-defendants. Will keep everyone posted.

Ken

Evan528
07-14-2002, 05:22 PM
I was contatced last spring by a company out Of Erie PA wanting me to bid on CVS's in my area. After several wanring by people who have dealt with them in the past I had decided not to send in my bid. I guess I made a good decision.

John Allin
07-14-2002, 10:27 PM
And it was not us that contacted Evan..... I want to make sure everyone knows that......

It was another company that operates in our area that would love to go 'national'..... but isn't there yet.

vipermanz
07-15-2002, 03:26 AM
good luck with your problem

Albemarle Lawn
07-16-2002, 03:07 AM
Keeping this thread current for maximum impact.

AltaLawnCare
07-17-2002, 03:24 PM
Could be a coincidence,

The CVS here is a joke.....Nothing but red dirt and weeds,
they have a different LCO doing it every year.:rolleyes:

heygrassman
07-17-2002, 10:45 PM
Good Post.. noticed a CVS that was assumed as a RiteAide that went bellyup and is on owned property and looked a little shaggy. I thougth about starting the contact process for some future work.. I need that headache like I need a whole in the head.

Thanks for the tip...

jf

AGMG
07-18-2002, 10:29 AM
National Landscape is a deadbeat company.
Evan The company you are referring to in Erie is mine AGMG and no we do not work for National landscape. We were contacted by CVS to bid against them.
Their are alot of deadbeat national companies out there and hopefully we can put and end to this practice. We have done alot of looking into these national companies, And like Johns' SMG we try to hire only the best to service our accounts. At this moment we are only tri-state OH, PA, NY and I personnally visit each and every account monthly to ensure the specs are being followed.
National- that will be awhile.

Evan as for the warnings I can't imagine since the first attempt was last spring so we wouldn't have had any dealings in your area or others until now.
AGMG

Albemarle Lawn
07-18-2002, 10:43 AM
Took 3 months to get paid. This was NOT National Landscaping, but it was awful...

Had to go back to each store 3 times to collect manager signatures, and one of the manager balked at $60 for plowing one of the properties, said his cousin could do it for $15.

I feel stupid for messing with them again. Should have let the cousin handle the work.

KB

BTW: National Landscaping has offered this response:

A GENERIC EMAIL OVER 1 MONTH OLD:

Ken

I am trying very hard to get us all paid but the problems seems to be with the people in RI. The following is the response I posted on SIMA site last month. Since then they are now asking me to prove there was snow or ice condition that warranted the work we did for nearly 13,000 invoices. I am trying to avoid turning this over to the lawyers and give them everything they want but they just keep raising the bar.

I have been in business for over 20 years and I have always paid my bills on time and have done all the things I list to help us get paid

I understand that this has dragged on and continues to drag on but everyone needs to try and understand that I am doing everything I can to get us all paid. I have spent over $65,000.00 of my own money trying to collect these funds and in every case when I have been paid I have paid the contractor (everyone agreed upfront to get paid when I got paid) I have paid everyone that I have been paid for. In addition to these payments I have used all my own money, I have Mortgage my home and spent all my profit on trying to pay these bills.

Let me try to briefly explain just the highlights of what I have had to deal with.

I have been working for the Trammel Crow company (Woonsocket RI) and they are the company that manages all the services for CVS.

The problems and the first delays started when they begin to request charges to the billing format this format went from 15 lines of information to nearly 150 lines of information for every invoice. This in it self was a insurmountable problem but they made it even worse by telling us about these changes in a piece meal manner and over a several month period After these charges were made the data was so incomplete and corrupted I had to hire 3 shifts of staff to reenter over 13,000 invoices into our databases. Then I was made to fly to Woonsocket and sit in their office for 2 weeks with accountants (12 of them) I had to pay for them to look at all 13,000 invoices to verify they were correct.

All that and they did not find more then 200 invoices that were truly a problem but as they looked at these bills they would find the smallest of reasons to reject them they would not pay a bill because the zip code on the hand written (field form) form did not match or was not there. As they went though the other invoices they kept finding new reasons to reject any bill they could.

As if that was not enough, Now (in June) they are asking me to get and pay for a weather report for all 22,000 services occurrences by the day, site, hour and invoice.

The question remains when will we get paid as of June 7th I spoke to them and they have agreed to pay and additional 550,000.00 by next Thursday (they had these bills ready to pay may 9th). That leaves over a million dollars left for us to still collect. I am heading to Woonsocket on Monday to discuss the remaining 1 million dollar in invoices one at a time.

The truth is I still believe they will pay these bills but who knows when. It's JUNE!

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Andres Montes [mailto:amontes@nationallandscaping.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 9:58 AM
To: superbob@nationallandscaping.com
Subject: FW: Pay your bills

-----Original Message-----
From: Andres Montes [mailto:amontes@nationallandscaping.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 8:48 AM
To: 'superbob@nationallandscaping.com'
Subject: FW: Pay your bills

Do you think that itís fair that ATK of Puerto Rico is listed or dragged into this problem? We certainly have nothing to do with this and it hurts those that have worked so hard to keep ATK of PR reputation in good standing which is so essential for business in todayís environment.

Andres

John Allin
08-27-2002, 10:18 PM
Today, CVS awarded my company (Snow Management Group) the contract for plowing the CVS stores in the USA. National Landscape Service was terminated some time ago. Trammel Crowe was going to do this for CVS, but CVS has elected to go with SMG. We have some considerable experience with multi location sites, and have made specific arrangements with CVS to ensure that all subs get paid this season, and paid in a very timely fashion.

We have put our own reputation on the line with CVS and we are quite certain that the problems that arose last winter shall not develop again.

RFP's should hit the street late next week. Feel free to email me if you seek to work on this project. I know alot of you have been stung, but please take my assurances that it won't happen this winter.

Bunton Guy
08-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Wouldnt a company that does business under multiple names get you thinking ?? Thats one alarming thing to me.

Albemarle Lawn
08-27-2002, 11:26 PM
National Landscaping has paid. They did not pay in full, but two separate checks arrived, totalling about 75% of the balance due.

I was happy to see at least a partial payment, even though it was 7 months late.

KB

lsylvain
11-19-2002, 08:24 PM
I have been doing business foe CVS through another contractor and have been haveing trouble getting paid. I get paid but I usually have to bug them about it.

I do 3 stores here in WV almost took a fourth one but decided against it.

It looks like to me that CVS should start to learn that they should let the individual stores handle their own stuff. At one of my stores the irrigation started leaking and the town turned the H2O off. I wasn't notified for over a month, when I noticed that the grass was turning brown. (granted I should have been keeping a better eye on it)

Then this year when I went to winterize I was really confuesed because everything was shut down. I called the company that did the repair work and they had been called by the company to winterize all of my stores. when I called daystar they had know Idea what was going on.

since then I have recieved 5 calls from the same guy asking me if I had winterized the stores. All five times I faxed him the papers with the managers sig.....

He called me again yesterday.