PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new trimmer/edger

p2ranger
05-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm a new homeowner and having to buy all the stuff that goes along with taking care of a home. I'm now looking for a string trimmer and edger. I'm curious what y'all think about the combination tools that Echo and Maruyama make. I'm hoping that these multi use tools work well.

This will only be for my home use. I have a 1/2 acre lot that my house sits on, so I'd say an average sized yard. There's no crazy thick weeds or anything, just trimming around flowerbeds and what not.

I've visited some of the local outdoor power tool stores and haven't really come away convinced one way or the other. One shop sold both Echo and Maruyama and he was trying to convince me to get the Maruyama. He said that Echo had acquired some other company and that they were waiting to see how their new products held up before they started ordering inventory for Echo again. He seemed to think that this was going to effect Echo's quality.

I went to another shop that didn't sell Maruyama but did sell Echo as well as some others and they told me that the acquisition by Echo was not going to do anything to effect their product line when I asked them about it.

So that being said, which is a better brand to buy. I want my stuff to last a long time, but I don't want to spend a rediculous amount of money either as this is just residential use, not lawn care business use.

Also, which sized engine should I get? One guy told me that a smaller engine wouldn't run the edger attachment very well without it bogging down a lot. Is that true?

So I'm currently looking at the

Maruyama MC2610 (25.4cc) with the MC-SB trimmer and MC-E Edger
Maruyama MC 2321SB (22.5cc) plus the MC-E Edger
Echo PAS 230 (22.8cc) with edger and trimmer attachments
Echo PAS 265 (25.4cc) with edger and trimmer attachments

Thanks for any advice.

Jason

fastbs
05-28-2010, 02:14 PM
i can recomend the echo 230 from personal experience. the 265 would be better for some of the attachments. i have no experience with matuyama.
For what you'll probably be doing the cheapest of these will probably be overkill. I like it that way though.

Tnlawnguy
05-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I have no experience with Maruyama but I do with echo. I have a PAS-265 and I love it. Echo makes very reliable products used by many LCO's across the country, not saying Maruyama doesnt but I see way more echo products being used than Maruyama. At least in my neck of the woods...

RDA
05-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I have the Echo PAS-265 system (trimmer, edger, power broom, dethatcher, etc.) and I would definitely recommend it for your situation. I prefer the straight shaft edger. Either the 230 or 265 will work well, the 265 is quite powerful. The trimmer works very well, nice head, can be used to do some edging as well but I prefer the edger. The nice thing about these units is with one power head, you only have one engine to maintain, etc. and switching between attachments takes just a few seconds. The echo stuff is a tiny bit cold natured (takes 5-15 seconds to truly warm up) but starts easy and runs well.

I have no experience with the Maruyama.

Regards,

Rich

p2ranger
06-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the replies. I tried emailing the Maruyama dealer in town last week and he still hasn't replied to me for a price quote. He must not want my business.

Thanks

Jason

type_rcivic2000
06-01-2010, 12:11 PM
The Aquisition that dealer was referring to was the buyout of Shindaiwa by Echo. The buyout was simply so that Echo could aquire the C4 technology that Shindaiwa makes so their trimmers can pass the new emission codes. Both products are still produced the way they always were, just now under the Echo umbrella. As a dealer, I would say go with the Echo. You can't miss. I know the 230 and 265 are great units, but even the srm-225sb would be sufficient for any home owner (though I would not recommend it to any professionals). Echo now sells a package deal with the 225, called the PAS-225VP. It includes the trimmer and edger attachment and retails for $349.99

P.S.
Please buy your Echo from a dealer and not from Home Depot. The service and help you get from a dealer far outweighs any discount Home Depot offers.

Alan0354
06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
If you set on buying attachment unit, I have to say Echo just because Echo has so much more attachment options and Maru have very few.

I say you should get one around 25cc ( PAS265) no matter what. I afraid you might be disappointed with a 22.5cc eventually.

That said, I like Maruyama, I have the big Maru bp blower and love it. I heard a lot of good things about Maru and it has 5 years commercial warranty. I am lucky to have two dealers selling Maru.

If you just use it for home use and if budget is important, you might want to consider Kawasaki trimmer and edger buying new on ebay. They are true commercial quality but low price. I am pretty sure you can get both individually for about the price of the Echo PAS265 with the two attachments. I am not a fan of multi tool stuff.

genesis215
06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Buy the PAS-230. It should do everything you need.

Hoy landscaping
06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
ive never ever hear of that other manufacturer. but echo is the way to go. there warrantys are great. also there product is unbeatable

SCBigE
06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm a new homeowner and having to buy all the stuff that goes along with taking care of a home. I'm now looking for a string trimmer and edger. I'm curious what y'all think about the combination tools that Echo and Maruyama make. I'm hoping that these multi use tools work well.

This will only be for my home use. I have a 1/2 acre lot that my house sits on, so I'd say an average sized yard. There's no crazy thick weeds or anything, just trimming around flowerbeds and what not.

I've visited some of the local outdoor power tool stores and haven't really come away convinced one way or the other. One shop sold both Echo and Maruyama and he was trying to convince me to get the Maruyama. He said that Echo had acquired some other company and that they were waiting to see how their new products held up before they started ordering inventory for Echo again. He seemed to think that this was going to effect Echo's quality.

I went to another shop that didn't sell Maruyama but did sell Echo as well as some others and they told me that the acquisition by Echo was not going to do anything to effect their product line when I asked them about it.

So that being said, which is a better brand to buy. I want my stuff to last a long time, but I don't want to spend a rediculous amount of money either as this is just residential use, not lawn care business use.

Also, which sized engine should I get? One guy told me that a smaller engine wouldn't run the edger attachment very well without it bogging down a lot. Is that true?

So I'm currently looking at the

Maruyama MC2610 (25.4cc) with the MC-SB trimmer and MC-E Edger
Maruyama MC 2321SB (22.5cc) plus the MC-E Edger
Echo PAS 230 (22.8cc) with edger and trimmer attachments
Echo PAS 265 (25.4cc) with edger and trimmer attachments

Thanks for any advice.

Jason

I would get a stihl Kombi

p2ranger
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I really appreciate everyone's input. It helped me in making my decision. Today I went and bought the Echo 265 with edger and trimmer attachments.

I already used it and it worked great. I'll be happy when 10+ years from now I can still say the same thing.

Does anyone know if the oil mix that you add to the gasoline has any stabilizers in it? Or do I need to buy it separately to add to the mix. I bought some of the echo brand oil mix.

Thanks

Jason

lawnboy dan
06-02-2010, 08:15 PM
mauryama is far superiour to echo. lack of dealers is the only drawback

cbkc
06-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Do yourself a favor and check out a Stihl dealer. I just purchased an Echo Trimmer and Blower but then demoed a Stihl Trimmer and Blower and promptly returned the Echo products to Home Depot. The Stihl stuff seems better built and has more power and isn't much more.