PDA

View Full Version : You're kidding, right?

wattsup
07-14-2002, 07:23 PM
I was working on a sprinkler system at a subdivision yesterday and this guy stops. He starts talking to me like we are old pals. Then asks if I can mow his yard for him before it starts raining ( rain was on the way). I said I would do it for $20, but only the mowing he would have to trim, blow, etc or it would be $30. He says "What, it will only take you 5 minutes, you should do it for $10." I told him I do not pull the mower off the trailer for less than $30, but if I am only mowing I would do it for less. He got mad and left. About 10 minutes later he comes back and asks if I would do it weekly for $20 (mowing, trimming, blowing, etc..) You can guess my reply. What are people thinking about when you talk to them. I thought I was clear about my price. Maybe, I should have stopped working when he stopped the first time and given him a written bid. LOL.

General Grounds
07-14-2002, 07:28 PM
:blob3: your better off without him, sounds like trouble.tony

Bob Minney
07-14-2002, 07:47 PM
Its the same guy that last week that asked me to help him out cause his back hurt. Just the front, very overgrown, I told him $35-he had to go ask his wife-I think she told him his back was better.:p

cos
07-14-2002, 08:02 PM
I love the question " What do you get per lawn?" This one guy pulls up out of no where and asks what I was getting for the one I was mowing. I told him aroud x to x amount. He asked how much is that? I said around x to around x. LOL

SLS
07-14-2002, 08:14 PM
When I am mowing a lawn and someone pulls up and asks me how much I charge for that particular lawn I just smile and ask them:

"Would you like me to bid on your lawn??? I'd be more than happy to take a look at it if you wish."

I NEVER tell a stranger how much my client is paying me to service their lawn.

More than once, when I have posed my question to the stranger, they have muttered "uh...nah...that's ok, I was just wondering...see ya...". :dizzy:

If someone wants to come and bid on the lawn that I am servicing that's fine...but I'll be danged if I'm going to give them my price just so they can turn around and lowball me. Besides, it is none of ANYONE'S business what my clients pay me.

wojo23323
07-14-2002, 08:56 PM
one guy stopped and asked me how much to mow and i told him my minimum was $25 for a 5000 sq ft yard. He asks "is that per month"? I laugh at him and tell him per mowing. never heard from him. i'm glad.

dr grass
07-14-2002, 11:59 PM
You definately did the right thing in my opinion. you dont need these people that b***h over every little aspect of how you run your business. what about these people that throw in their "2 cents" about this and that. that ticks me off more than anything. i drop them like a bad habit. if your not gonna let me come into your yard every week and cut it without coming out and yapping my ear off, forget it. i mean once in a while i can understand. but you hired a lawn care service, not a personal assistant or a B.S. buddy. come on now.

Shep

65hoss
07-15-2002, 06:24 AM
I agree with SLS, I never tell people what a customer is paying. I tell them that is between the customer and me.

My favorite question is..."What is the ballpark?" My response always gets mixed reactions which I enjoy. I tell them Autozone Park.(AAA ballpark here in Memphis) I don't do ballparks, I do residentials that I must see first. :blush:

crawdad
07-15-2002, 07:17 AM
My dental hygenist asked me how much I charge to mow a lawn, while she has both hands, and a bunch of power tools inside my mouth... I reply araroo, daarrarroo...

The gal in the pizza shop, spotting my Scag in the truck, asks me if I mow, and how much do I charge. It'd been a long day, so I told her my secret formula for determining prices...

"It depends," I reply, "on the size of the lawn, how many obstacles, and the pucker factor."

"The what?" she says. :confused:

"The pucker factor", I says, "how steep it is."

She didn't ask any more silly questions.:laugh:

I don't ask people how much they make, why do they ask us? The dental hygenist charges 80 bucks for a half hour, but probably think lawn men make a killing.
Crawdad

mtdman
07-15-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by SLS
When I am mowing a lawn and someone pulls up and asks me how much I charge for that particular lawn I just smile and ask them:

"Would you like me to bid on your lawn??? I'd be more than happy to take a look at it if you wish."

I NEVER tell a stranger how much my client is paying me to service their lawn.

More than once, when I have posed my question to the stranger, they have muttered "uh...nah...that's ok, I was just wondering...see ya...". :dizzy:

If someone wants to come and bid on the lawn that I am servicing that's fine...but I'll be danged if I'm going to give them my price just so they can turn around and lowball me. Besides, it is none of ANYONE'S business what my clients pay me.

Well said. I always offer to give them an estimate, and explain I have to see the lawn first.

I think people still think that you should mow their lawn for $5, like the kid down the street does. The kid down the street doesn't have equipment repairs, insurance, rent, gas bills, etc. to pay for. And the kid down the street ain't gonna show up if he's got something more important to do.

The best advice is to leave the cheap-os alone. They will push and push, and if you give them an inch, you'll be doing work for free before you know it. Stick to your price, period. One of the most important lessons I have learned is you don't have to get EVERY estimate as a customer, especially if they are cheap-os. I'd rather have fewer, higher paying, consistant customers than many, pain in the butt cheap customers.

:D