PDA

View Full Version : BadBoy Mowers have arrived in the PNW finally!

MJB
05-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Last fall I went around and talked to a few dealers about picking up BB and they all played dumb , not interested. Now both dealers have picked them up.
The biggest dealer is a Hustler, Kubota dealer who would not take on the line but was watching from afar. The rep let them compare the Lightening side by side to the Kubota, and Super Z. They were sold on the spot and have 5 BBoys delivered already. The other dealer same story has 5 out front.

I'm waiting on the Outlaw as it is 3 weeks out roughly, due to the increasing interest in it. I also heard that BadBoy was still ahead 35% in sales on their old models this year, now things are really taking off with all the new models coming out this year.

If anyone has the chance to demo an Outlaw on steep hills do it ! The cut is exceptional and will stick to a hill like glue, or so I'm told. I want to hear more Outlaw testimonials , with pictures, until I can get one here.

All you hill climbers in Kentucky or wherever, demo and review them for us.

MJB
05-28-2010, 11:28 PM
bump bump .

Richard Martin
05-29-2010, 04:22 AM
There's not a lot of excitement for the Bad Boy eh? They're kinda like a Dixie Chopper. You either like 'em or you don't. Unfortunately most people pick the former.

MJB
05-29-2010, 08:58 AM
True many have formed an opinion based off of early models. I've been watching them for years and never liked the early versions. The Lightning caught my eye as a possibility, but the Outlaw is really looking like a decent machine that will stack up against my Exmarks. I'm not into flashy mowers anymore, I'm tired of Exmark after running them for 10+ years. I think with the economy as bad as it is a mower needs to be efficient, durable, leave a good cut, and for once have some downhill traction, and under $9000. I'm sick of having mowers that when pointed downhill you can't just turn them around the easy way without spinning wheels. It waste to much of my time trying to turn around without tearing up turf. After doing this for 20 yrs I've noticed way to many mowers are designed the same way. So the Outlaw was a nice change of pace, in being a better balanced mower for hills.

MS_SURVEYOR
05-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I've been seeing more and more Bad Boys on lawn care trailers from central Mississippi to SW Missouri. Got to talk to one gent fueling up a 60 inch PUP in Sikeston Missouri. His other trailer had John Deere's. They looked like a pretty clean outfit. He said he just got the Bad Boy the first of this season. So far he was happy with it. He said it cut a good looking lawn. It had the 30 hp Kohler like mine. Then he told me that's why the Bad Boy was on his trailer! WE had a good chat.

kyboy89
05-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Ive got an 07 or 08 Lightning Z with a 26hp liquid cooled kawi/60inch cut, and I love it! super nice cut, electric deck....suspension is really nice, rides just as well as a ferris IMO...I wasnt to impressed with the way the hold a hill, but other than that im a huge fan, and will be buying another one when that time comes around.

MJB
05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Ive got an 07 or 08 Lightning Z with a 26hp liquid cooled kawi/60inch cut, and I love it! super nice cut, electric deck....suspension is really nice, rides just as well as a ferris IMO...I wasnt to impressed with the way the hold a hill, but other than that im a huge fan, and will be buying another one when that time comes around.

Thanks for your imput, I didn't think the Lightning would hold a hill any better than my Exmarks which are poor downhillers. How much fuel does that 26 L/C kawi use ? The Outlaw has a 31hp kawi that probably burns 1.5 gph or more but the only option I believe on that mower.

kyboy89
05-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I havent really checked my gph, but its not that great on fuel....I love the liquid cooled and if your gonna be mowing much I suggest you look into one. I was wanting to get one of the new outlaws, but I couldnt find many differences in them and the lightning model so I found mine used on craigslist with 150hrs.

MJB
05-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I havent really checked my gph, but its not that great on fuel....I love the liquid cooled and if your gonna be mowing much I suggest you look into one. I was wanting to get one of the new outlaws, but I couldnt find many differences in them and the lightning model so I found mine used on craigslist with 150hrs.

I've got a 22hp L/C Kawi on my 1999 Lazer Z with 60" deck . It only burns .8 to .9 gph, so I figure the 26hp wouldn't be near as bad as an air cooled of same size.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
05-31-2010, 02:53 AM
Last fall I went around and talked to a few dealers about picking up BB and they all played dumb , not interested. Now both dealers have picked them up.
The biggest dealer is a Hustler, Kubota dealer who would not take on the line but was watching from afar. The rep let them compare the Lightening side by side to the Kubota, and Super Z. They were sold on the spot and have 5 BBoys delivered already. The other dealer same story has 5 out front.

I'm waiting on the Outlaw as it is 3 weeks out roughly, due to the increasing interest in it. I also heard that BadBoy was still ahead 35% in sales on their old models this year, now things are really taking off with all the new models coming out this year.

If anyone has the chance to demo an Outlaw on steep hills do it ! The cut is exceptional and will stick to a hill like glue, or so I'm told. I want to hear more Outlaw testimonials , with pictures, until I can get one here.

All you hill climbers in Kentucky or wherever, demo and review them for us.

I will try to get a pic this week of mine on some steep hills. You can do a search for my review and testimonies. Bought the 54" Outlaw from Retrodog. Been in the business for 12 years, and demoed or owned Scag, Exmark, Toro, Grasshopper, Dixie C, Dixon, Hustler, John Deere, Ferris. Maybe some others I can't think of.

The Outlaw will hold a hill like no other. The pumps are placed lower than the center of the wheel, with a skid plate below for protection. This then allows for everything else to sit lower on top of the pumps. You are getting a whole lotta mower for 7499!!

MJB
05-31-2010, 10:10 AM
I will try to get a pic this week of mine on some steep hills. You can do a search for my review and testimonies. Bought the 54" Outlaw from Retrodog. Been in the business for 12 years, and demoed or owned Scag, Exmark, Toro, Grasshopper, Dixie C, Dixon, Hustler, John Deere, Ferris. Maybe some others I can't think of.

The Outlaw will hold a hill like no other. The pumps are placed lower than the center of the wheel, with a skid plate below for protection. This then allows for everything else to sit lower on top of the pumps. You are getting a whole lotta mower for 7499!!

That would be nice either post them here or pm me which ever is easier. How easy is it to back up curbs with it sitting low like that, it's hard to tell from the pictures if there is clearance or not?

LibertyFarmLandscaping
05-31-2010, 11:44 AM
That would be nice either post them here or pm me which ever is easier. How easy is it to back up curbs with it sitting low like that, it's hard to tell from the pictures if there is clearance or not?

It's not a problem at all. The website says the large back tires are to help with the ride, but the larger tire allows the same clearance as my Turf Tigers. Which I will be replacing with Badboy mowers someday.:walking:

Mike Blevins
05-31-2010, 01:41 PM
It's not a problem at all. The website says the large back tires are to help with the ride, but the larger tire allows the same clearance as my Turf Tigers. Which I will be replacing with Badboy mowers someday.:walking:
Hey lIberty what don't you like about your Turf Tigers?

LibertyFarmLandscaping
06-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey lIberty what don't you like about your Turf Tigers?

Mike,

The Turf Tigers have been great. The dealer closest to me has been terrible with repairs. They both have close to 2000 hours. I usually trade between 2000-2500 hours depending on how the engine is holding up.

Retrodog here at lawnsite is a very close Bad Boy dealer to me, and he has been wonderful so far on a few problems I've had with the Outlaw which were operator related. Not the machine. He replaced a spindle under warranty that they ran over something with, no questions asked. He did not have the spindle in stock since it is such a new mower, and is a different spindle than the lightening or aos. He took a spindle off an Outlaw he had in stock to get me rolling by the next am. He also gave me a mower to use that day to finish up the day with.

I don't know if the Badboys will hold up over the long haul like the Scag, but at $2000 dollars less for a comparable machine from Badboy along with a great dealer it was a no brainer for me.

I hope you are pleased with your Turf Tiger!

A-Rob
06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
A local dealer now carries Bad Boys and Hustler. I have a Super Z that is holding up fairly well except for a hydro problem, but I will give serious consideration to the BB when it's time to get a new one. I was very impressed with the seemingly small things, like the swing away gas tanks and the dual hydro filters and large hydro fluid tank. It really seems like it would be easy to work on. I just rebuilt the hydro pump and motor on one side of the Z and the tight fit was aggravating but this BB looks like it would be great to work on. When all other factors are the same it's the little things that sell me on a product.

demhustler
06-05-2010, 11:09 PM

true, but zt series tranaxles been used before only on residential ztrs
q. about zt5400 and why oulaw not capable of 15mph ground speed - org.outlaw thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3593715&postcount=148

MJB
06-05-2010, 11:54 PM
q. about zt5400 and why oulaw not capable of 15mph ground speed - org.outlaw thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3593715&postcount=148

Does 14mph versus 15 mph make that big a difference to you? I personally would prefer it to be 12 mph just because of the problems Hustler have with their pump wheel motor combinations. I don't want to see the same problems with the Outlaw which right now will be my next mower purchased.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
06-06-2010, 12:01 AM

I don't know anything about the transaxles or what speed it is supposed to run.

All I know is this is my 13th year in business, and I have owned Grasshopper, Exmark, Toro, and Scag (currently have 2 Turf Tigers). I have demoed about every brand there is with a dealer that is within an hour of my house.

I run the h**l out of them 500 to 650 hours per year for 3 to 4 years, and then trade them off. I have 110 hours on the Outlaw and so far I'm very impressed with it's ability to hold a hill, and the leg room being 6'5". The Outlaw easily beats the Turf Tigers running side by side in ground speed. It runs much faster than you need to be mowing grass.

I will put at least 500 to 600 hours on the Outlaw to see how it will hold up before replacing my other mowers with Badboy products. I don't care what anyone says about any product on the internet or what they may say in person. It doesnt mean much to me until the product proves itself in real life with me or one of my employees putting seat time on the machine.

demhustler
06-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Does 14mph versus 15 mph make that big a difference to you? I personally would prefer it to be 12 mph just because of the problems Hustler have with their pump wheel motor combinations. I don't want to see the same problems with the Outlaw which right now will be my next mower purchased.

set controls on 12 or 10 mph - your problem solved
you have option and they gave you a choice

10 and 12 makes a big difference for you? 13.5? or 7; 8 &10?
if everybody been like this - manufacturers would make all mowers 10mph - that's it; ...cars about 70mph top speed, etc

anyway, that's wasn't a point of the Q, which was - why outlaw not capable of performance like other mowers in it's class (dc, hustler, bb)? is it transmission or mower couldn't handle?

MJB
06-07-2010, 10:04 AM
set controls on 12 or 10 mph - your problem solved
you have option and they gave you a choice

10 and 12 makes a big difference for you? 13.5? or 7; 8 &10?
if everybody been like this - manufacturers would make all mowers 10mph - that's it; ...cars about 70mph top speed, etc

anyway, that's wasn't a point of the Q, which was - why outlaw not capable of performance like other mowers in it's class (dc, hustler, bb)? is it transmission or mower couldn't handle?

My point was I wanted dependability over speed. My Hustler gave up dependability, and quality of cut in my region, for speed. Your half sentences don't make much sense sometimes. Why Outlaws not capable of going 15mph instead of 14mph? Who cares as long as it works, and is dependable, has a good quality of cut and holds a hill better than others.
I think it's about time you bought one to see for yourself, my Hustler dealer just added BadBoy to their mower line, and they are a very big dealer out here. Seems like more and more dealers are picking them up. You are a Hustler dealer aren't you?

LibertyFarmLandscaping
06-07-2010, 02:41 PM
My point was I wanted dependability over speed. My Hustler gave up dependability, and quality of cut in my region, for speed. Your half sentences don't make much sense sometimes. Why Outlaws not capable of going 15mph instead of 14mph? Who cares as long as it works, and is dependable, has a good quality of cut and holds a hill better than others.
I think it's about time you bought one to see for yourself, my Hustler dealer just added BadBoy to their mower line, and they are a very big dealer out here. Seems like more and more dealers are picking them up. You are a Hustler dealer aren't you?

Yeah, I can't understand what demhustler is saying, I give up. I forgot to take my camera with me to get pics on some big slopes last week on the Outlaw. Hopefully I will get that accomplished this week.

MJB
06-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I can't understand what demhustler is saying, I give up. I forgot to take my camera with me to get pics on some big slopes last week on the Outlaw. Hopefully I will get that accomplished this week.

That would be cool.

demhustler
06-07-2010, 10:00 PM

MJB got it, may be if you could read or think - you wold too

nevertheless -you got it right
"Why Outlaws not capable of going 15mph instead of 14mph? Who cares ..."
- i do
it's not what you or hustler gave-up, it's WHY BB gave-up? if 14 and 15 -not much difference, - what the cause of incapability to hold-on at 15 mph - is it tranny or rest of the mower?
speed - one of objective measurements of performance (among many others), doesn't matter you like, use, understand it or not, - others do: 18 mph transport speed on some toro mowers - for the reason

- no, i'm not a hustler dealer, and it's poor reliability pisses me off;
- i like bb and what they're doing (and could certainly consider it one of the best mowers and manufacturers, if they can answer on simple questions without salesman's bs)

tacoma200
06-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Some of you could be a little clearer when trying to make a point. When ZTR's are set up to run 15 mph often you loose torque. No adjustment is going to fix this. Most high speed ZTR's set up to run at 15 mph are strained on hills and with baggers. I personally need the torque more than the top end but your mileage may vary.

demhustler
06-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Some of you could be a little clearer when trying to make a point. When ZTR's are set up to run 15 mph often you loose torque. No adjustment is going to fix this. Most high speed ZTR's set up to run at 15 mph are strained on hills and with baggers. I personally need the torque more than the top end but your mileage may vary.

true in general -when gearing-up 10 vs 15 mph
we speaking about 14 &15 : 1mph diff., 6.6%