PDA

View Full Version : Now that school is out......

coolluv
05-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Now that school is out I want to teach my son some responsibility, so I won't need your services any longer. Just goes to show what they think of our services... little Johnny can do just as good of a job. Maybe its my area but people just want the cheapest price and don't value all the things that I do. I may just become a lowball hack like the rest of um....

Dave...

rm25x
05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
doh that sucks, sounds like the customer should have said "I am going to teach my son how to be a cheapskate..."

rcslawncare
05-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Yea, I haven't heard that personally, but people have said the same thing. It sucks and usually ends up with a lot of trimming when you get a call back in the fall. Just gotta keep finding the right clients, there out there!!

fredmullegun
05-28-2010, 06:22 PM
People do not view their lawn as a garden or their grass as a plant. They view it as some area of 'not house' that needs periodic maintenance.

coolluv
05-28-2010, 06:42 PM
People do not view their lawn as a garden or their grass as a plant. They view it as some area of 'not house' that needs periodic maintenance.

Most people look at their landscape as a job, they don't want to have to deal with, and if it looks Ok then what the Hell. We look at, and so should they, as an asset to their home and its value. But in these times... its all about the dollar.

The lowballer is King..

Dave...

Robert Pruitt
05-28-2010, 08:10 PM
had this happen also. looks like a kid did it too. really hate seeing my hard work go down the drain. they will be callin'.

kludgemonkey
05-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Similar situation has me worried. I mow three houses in a really nice neighborhood that are right next to each other. Sweet deal for me, or it was. I get a call last night from the client in the middle telling me he won't need my service for a couple of months. His nephew needs some extra cash and will be taking care of his lawn. I pray to God that I don't loose the other two accounts to his nephew, I've worked very hard to get my foot into the door of this neighborhood. :-(

Robert Pruitt
05-28-2010, 08:50 PM
yea in the upper neighbor the parents go out and buy a top of the line JD rider and the kid rides around in circles letting the grass collect in the middle and leave it. no trim and no blow.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-28-2010, 08:54 PM
people look for the cheapest way out around here. ive actually had people ask....well what if i do the trimming and cut the side...how much would u charge me then? my reply: NOTHING cuz im not coming back u cheap fukkkkkks. just had my big one on the golf course switch to bi-weekly on me. rich as can be...live in a multimillion $$ house (irrigation system) and cant pay to get the grass cut weekly?? cmon i hate cheap people. i hate people in general nowadays i guess lol

MarcSmith
05-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Honestly Id much rather loose a job to a parents child, than some lowball hack working out of the back of the car. At least the parents are trying to instill some sort of work ethic into their child....Better than letting johnny sit an play nintendo all day long.

StoneFaced
05-28-2010, 09:35 PM
I just completed a new landscape install on a 300' long factory. Gutted all the existing, and removed 15- 30' trees, stumps and all. We completely changed the look of the face of this building, including the signage by the roadside. Built several raised, curved beds w/ new shrubs, trees and perennials. I decided to give them the premium, triple shredded, triple died black mulch...45 yrds @ $30. per yard is my cost. They pressed me to get the job done, so they can do a photo shoot for their national product catalog. They love the job, and can't wait to do the photos.

Yesterday, the owners 15 year old grandson came through with a big scag to mow the lawn. He clipped almost every corner of every bed w/ the mower, scalped the overgrow lawn (now it's yellow w/ rows of dead grass clippings), and blew all the tall clippings half way up the beds...because he didn't want to make a couple of extra passes to blow the clippings the other direction. He clipped the corners, so he wouldn't have to trim. I intentionally designed it w/ gradual curves, so that wouldn't happen. I wanted to drag the kid off the mower and beat him...but it's the owners grandson.

topsites
05-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Threads like these...

I had to think really long and hard today about a customer that's just driving me up a wall.
REALLY long and hard.

The fact they spend near a grand a year did sway the scales considerably.
As I decided to keep them, after several hours of deliberation and self-argument lol.

Because threads like these, just goes to show how easy it is to lose a customer.
I might add, through no fault of our own.

grassman177
05-29-2010, 08:40 AM
i find folks money priorities are all out of whack. they say about having little johnny learn something, and need to save money but they go out and buy a brand new mower for him to F the lawn up with!?!?

Roger
05-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Kudos to the parents who want to teach their child how to work.

The parental responsibility in teaching their child how to work has fast disappeared. If the parent doesn't teach the child, who will do the job? How many threads do we read on LS that speak about "kids just don't know how to work any more." At least this parent is taking some steps to do the task. And, many posts here hammer them for doing so. I repeat the question, if the parent doesn't do the job, who will?

I would much rather see a lawn look terrible, knowing that at least one child is learning the value of work, learning the discipline of work, and learning to take pride in doing the task. It is clear from many LS posts that many residential customers really aren't all that concerned about the quality of work we as LCOs do. I find residential customers are much more concerned about the LCO showing up, rather than the kind of work performed.

Frankly, I don't care what household task is assigned to Johnny. Much more to the point is that Johnny learns how to do the task, takes responsibility (good and bad) for the task, learns discipline of work, and Johnny takes pride in his efforts. Growing character is our children is far more important than whether lines on the lawn are straight, edges are done neatly, or whatever other measure you wish to choose.