PDA

View Full Version : Mulching with a Hustler-Z

pfm
07-14-2002, 08:51 PM
This is my first post and I want to say I'm glad I found this site. I've learned a lot from previous posts and have a much better appreciation for the challenges LCO's face.

My situation is this: mowing 5+ acres, some of it open, many trees, flower beds, a few hills. Currently using an Airens ZTR with 14hp B&S, 40" deck. I've beaten it to death and it's beaten me back. I need to upgrade to a commercial machine. After a lot of research, talking to dealers, etc. my choices are: (1) Hustler-Z, 60" 25hp; (2) Land Pride Accu-Z, 60" 23hp (25hp not available); (3) Exmark Lazer Z, 60" 25hp.

My problem is I'd like to mulch, but two different Hustler dealers don't want to sell a unit with a mulch kit. The Land Pride dealer is ok with mulching but I wonder if I'll need the other 2hp.

I'd appreciate any feedback from Hustler/Land Pride owners who mulch. Can they do it well? I've seen enough posts from Lazer owners to know they can. I prefer the Hustler's lower center of gravity, heavier frame and auto parking brake, but if it won't mulch well I may go with the Lazer.

Thanks for your comments.

Paul

We do 4 U
07-14-2002, 09:47 PM
I have a 52" Hustler Super Z and it mulches great. I cut for a nursery and the grass in between the green houses gets pretty tall with all the water and fert. run off. I also cut this place every other week. So like I said the grass can get PRETTY tall. Anyway, it mulches that tall grass down to 2 1/2" with very little clumping and a little bogging down. I am very impressed with it. If you do get a Hustler get the Donadson air filter. It is well worth it.:)

P&J Lawncare
07-15-2002, 03:38 AM
I am sure that my dealer will sell you a mulch kit, if you need his number just e-mail me and I will give you his number.

pfm
07-16-2002, 12:10 AM
P&J, thanks for the offer. I was a little unclear in my first post. The dealers I've talked to will sell me a mulch kit, they just don't recommend it, based on customer feedback. They aren't specific why, however. :confused:

Am I correct that I should go with a 25hp over a 23hp in order to mulch?

Thanks.

P&J Lawncare
07-18-2002, 01:37 AM
I would go with the 25 over the 23 regardless, the extra horse power makes a world of difference in mulching and side discharge. The hustler throws grass excellent and you might want to start without the mulching kit and decide later if you really need a mulching kit. When I bought my super z I was going to get the mulching kit the next week but after using my mower for a week I decided that there was no need for the mulching kit because of the way this mower discharges the grass (no clumps)

KirbysLawn
07-18-2002, 01:46 AM
I have a 25 Super Z and when the kit is installed I must mow slower and the cut is not as clean. The grass I mow is very thick which may contribute to the problem. I'm curious what will happen this fall when the leaves start falling.

wojo23323
07-20-2002, 05:09 PM
i have a 25hp super z and it mulches very good, except for a lot of blow out from the left front of the deck. i've ordered gator blades 2 weeks ago from my dealer and i have not received them yet. my dealer is 50 miles away so i have not had a chance to go up there. he told me he would deliver them to me. i have been told on this site that the gators will fix the blow out problem. i am using the factory blades that came on the machne when i bought it. does anyone else use gators on their hustler when they mulch? do they work good? is there anywhere else to buy them besides from my dealer? thanks.

rick_reno
07-24-2002, 01:31 PM
I had my dealer put a set of Gator mulching blades on my 60 inch Z. I've only cut a few times with them but the cut is excellent, and the clippings that come out the chute are very small and should mulch nicely. I think the cut is a little better than with the stock blades, but my stock blades were pretty nicked too.

Someone suggested a Donaldson Air filter - what are the advantages? and where do you find one?