PDA

View Full Version : lawn mowing business or junk hauling business?

rosarioslawncutters
05-28-2010, 05:53 PM
hi...i have been in the lawn care business for little over 3 years....i was thinking of not doing mowing and doing junk hauling service...is this a good choice....

i dont really have that many mowing accounts, all i make is $600 to $750 weekly...working 6 days a week and towing a trailer all day long

i do junk hauling jobs here and there so i have some experience (been doing it for about 1 year)

thing is that with 2 junk hauling jobs that i do a week will make almost the same amount of cash as if i was mowing but with a hole lot less time....

i usually charge $350 a trailer load and it usually takes me about 2.5 hours of work ( counting loading the junk in the trailer then dumping it at the land fill)
when only in 2.5 hours all i can mow is maybe 3 properies at $30 each (counting drive time) total cash $90 making 3 different stops

so far i do 1 junk removal job per week without advertizing too hard...

i was thinking of eliminating the mowing to replace with the junk hauling but keep everything else like fall/spring clean ups, snow plowing

what do you guys think?

TPS
05-28-2010, 06:01 PM
The obvious choice, if you can get enough work, is hauling. My question is, do you need a DEP# to haul? In NJ you need a DEP# and it takes a while to get one here. Your supposed to have a DEP 401 Exempt # to haul grass clippings and yard waste also. Seems like fraily easy work and good money. Maybe cut mowing down to 3 days a week and haul the other 2 until you get enough work to haul 5 days a week.

rickyg
05-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Something that I have learned from my father watching him work for the the last 25 years, don't limit yourself to just one thing. Do whatever brings you money (legally of course). I think you should focus on what you enjoy doing but be open to make money doing whatever you can.

mbrew
05-28-2010, 06:51 PM
If you're getting $350.00 a load I'm going to come up there and compete with you. I'm doing good to get 175.00 and I have to be particullar what I'll agree to haul or I'll reall work for it!

Good Luck

rosarioslawncutters
05-28-2010, 06:59 PM
The obvious choice, if you can get enough work, is hauling. My question is, do you need a DEP# to haul? In NJ you need a DEP# and it takes a while to get one here. Your supposed to have a DEP 401 Exempt # to haul grass clippings and yard waste also. Seems like fraily easy work and good money. Maybe cut mowing down to 3 days a week and haul the other 2 until you get enough work to haul 5 days a week.

i never heard of that here..maybe the big company trucks but i never heard of small companies needing the dep#...i could be wrong but i think thats for
Asbestos
Chemicals, Solvents, Oils
Paints
Oil drums, oil tanks
Car batteries
hazardous waste

but i could be wrong

rosarioslawncutters
05-28-2010, 07:06 PM
If you're getting $350.00 a load I'm going to come up there and compete with you. I'm doing good to get 175.00 and I have to be particullar what I'll agree to haul or I'll reall work for it!

Good Luck

my trailer is 6.5 X 12 x 4 about 11.5 cubic yards

$175 here is a pickup load with side walls

mbrew
05-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Mine's 16 long and good for 15CY. What are your dump fees? Here I can count on about $53.00

Mike

rosarioslawncutters
05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Mine's 16 long and good for 15CY. What are your dump fees? Here I can count on about $53.00

Mike

here is $88.30

FLAhaulboy
05-28-2010, 08:42 PM
I love hauling debris. The treasures I find-awesome+I re sell quite a bit of the good stuff, scrape all the metal=more $.

I have both of you beat on dumping fees: $18.00 per ton!

rosarioslawncutters
05-28-2010, 08:52 PM
I love hauling debris. The treasures I find-awesome+I re sell quite a bit of the good stuff, scrape all the metal=more $.

I have both of you beat on dumping fees: $18.00 per ton!

wow $18 per ton....what is the average rate for a hauling job?

topsites
05-28-2010, 08:55 PM
The IRS wants to know...
Is your vehicle "for hire?"

I am sure this question comes for a reason, I am also sure there exist other
ramifications as well, and last but not least I am certain that junk hauling qualifies.

Good Luck

Same here, I'm lucky to see 140-160 a load, granted my trailer is a single axle.

FLAhaulboy
06-10-2010, 11:16 PM
wow $18 per ton....what is the average rate for a hauling job?

Depends on what kind of debris it is & how close I can back up to it. Items like heavy loads- concrete, roofing shingles, const debris etc, get charged a higher fee. I charge more $ if chemicals are involved because I have to separate them & take to a different location.

The $18.00 per ton fee is another county landfill, The local landfill charges $36.50 but makes me back up to a drop off dumpster & throw the debris into their container, very time consuming. The #18 lets me use their open pit & I can throw the debris off on both sides of the trailer. Of course, this landfill is 20 miles away but easy to get to & they have a real cutie employee I can flirt with! :nono:

MikeKle
06-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Do both! I mow close to 70 yards per week, with help here and there of course, and work my rep job, where i must visit about 13 gas stations on a monthly or sometimes bi-weekly basis! and keep up with all new promotions, scheduling, manager issues, corporate issues, etc. I am lucky to get one full day off per week, sometimes I only get a half day off from one, and consider that my day off! yeah it sucks, but better to be working than to be completely unemployed and sitting on the couch all day every day! I am hoping for a day where I get more than 6 hours sleep though! Have to make hay when the sun is shining.

FLAhaulboy
06-18-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree, do both. I do some landscaping on the side besides hauling debris. Helps balance the time I'm not working, plus I like doing both kinds of work.

I was trimming a regular clients bushes today, seems the old guy in now in a nursing home & his family called me to come trim. His son shows up, had a dumpster delivered & was going to clean out the garages of an accumulation of stuff his father stored away. I had my littlest trailer with me & said I'd back up to the garage & he and his helper could throw in all the scrape metal. Five+ hrs of trimming & a 150.00+ trailer full of scrape metal, aka "bonus", Man I love the pack-rats who keep everything!:laugh:

Hoy landscaping
06-20-2010, 08:24 PM
saw an ad in the paper for grass cutting, junk hauling, and toilet repair???