PDA

View Full Version : Redhawk or quick 36"

garyo
05-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Looking to purchase a 36" walk behind. Which would be a better choice a Redhawk or a Quick?

zak406
05-28-2010, 08:40 PM
If it matters to you Better is made in amercia were as redhawk is made in china.

Depending on what red hawk you are looking at it could be a belt drive. I vote quick

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-28-2010, 09:08 PM
quick no doubt. but i heard they suck in certain types of grass....heard they are made specifically for the types of grass where they manufacture the mowers??? this was hearsay so dont quote me on it, but figured id let u know so u can look further into it. id figure a mower is a mower, but i remember sum1 sayin that they dont cut good in a certain location's grass??

elshauno
05-28-2010, 09:16 PM
I own a Redhawk it was a ok mower to get me started still runs ok. Its underbuilt and cheap. If I wasn't so strapped when I started I would have gotten a Quick36 in a heartbeat. Learn from my mistake and get a Quick

BCL Services
05-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Actually, just look for a quality used mower. You probably will not be happy with either.

garyo
05-28-2010, 11:33 PM
What is a quality used mower and why won't I be happy with either?

RDA
05-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Looking to purchase a 36" walk behind. Which would be a better choice a Redhawk or a Quick?

Where in Ohio are you? I have a Quick 36", you are welcome to come check it out if you want, try it, etc. Overall, I feel the Quick 36" is a very good value for what it costs.

I am experimenting with some different blades for it, I believe the right blade might mitigate the biggest complaint (it doesn't cut well in tall/thick/wet grass....show me a mower that deals particularly well with those conditions). It cuts very well in side discharge and bagging mode in my conditions (which includes tall/thick/wet grass so far this Spring), I am looking to improve the mulching performance currently which is a lot to ask for with the conditions so far this year.

Regards,

Rich

garyo
05-29-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm in Cleveland.

garyo
05-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Do you have a single or dual hydro?

QualityLawnCare4u
05-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I have owned neither but from what I have heard/read I would choose the quick 36 hands down. Excellent customer service.

RDA
05-29-2010, 12:16 AM
I have owned neither but from what I have heard/read I would choose the quick 36 hands down. Excellent customer service.

Agreed, BOP customer service has treated me well, I am working with them on one issue right now and they have been truly stand up about it so far, I'll be able to report further on it hopefully in a week or two. They have done a great job getting me parts I needed on a timely basis.

Regards,

Rich

RDA
05-29-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm in Cleveland.

Well, I am not all that far away, let me know if you want to check mine out.

Regards,

Rich

garyo
05-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Ok sounds good. Your down by Akron?

RDA
05-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Ok sounds good. Your down by Akron?

Yes, get a few more posts and you can send me a PM (I am not allowed to post my email or I would).

Regards,

Rich

Mowbizz
05-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I own a Quick Dually 36 and it is a well built, professional grade mower, made in the USA... I don't think you can compare it to Redhawk but then again I have no experience with them. The Quick does have some quirks but the value is there.
By "quirks" I find the controls very sensitive, which makes the deck jump up pretty easily. I "corrected" that on mine with some weight applied to the caster...calmed it right down. Very happy with mine...

lifetree
05-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Like most other comments in this thread that indicate you should get the Quick 36" Dually instead of the Redhawk ... I support this advice !! I own a Q-36 Dually and have operated a Red Hawk awhile ago at a dealer's location ... the Q-36 is hands down the better machine.

abcfamily
05-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Looked at a Redhawk a couple years ago, didn't really appeal to me. Got a quick 44 dually last year and I am pleased with it. Yes this time of the year the deck does need cleaned out more often then in the hot dry summer but that is where fluid film can be helpful. I strongly suggest accepting RDA's offer and go try his I feel you'll be glad you did.
Good luck!

brucec
05-29-2010, 12:31 PM
The Quick is the only choice here. I have had mine for 4 years and only replaced one belt and one cable. I have been running the exmark notched hi lift blades on mine and this has helped out tremendously with the clogging deck. The cut on the quick is incredible also.

LBFmd
05-29-2010, 01:30 PM
bruce,

what blade are you running? what quick do you have?

Thanks,

Exact Rototilling
05-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Just get the Quick 36 and be done with it already. Your decision should now be single hydro or dually. I have the single but I have been entertaining on getting a dually 36 or 32.

Quick cutting decks do have their challenges in less than ideal [damp] conditions however I don't think you will find a better overall value. Other mowers will handle damp conditions better but will also cost more, weigh more and take up more trailer space etc.

garyo
05-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks guy's for all your help!

W.L.M.
05-29-2010, 06:26 PM
I am not trying to be a jerk or anything but I would look for a used name brand mower SCAG EXMARK TORO LESCO GRAVELY would all be fine. Out of the 2 you mentioned they would both have their downfalls redhawk may have a better deck but who knows with the quality and better has a poor deck design (IMO anyways) but the customer service and assurance of problems being solved is there.

garyo
05-29-2010, 08:05 PM
I would like to look for a used name brand but I have only 2500 to spend. Most of the dealers around here want more that that and I don't want to get stuck with a POS.

W.L.M.
05-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Have you considered financing? If you don't wish to do so maybe look into gravely. In my area they are very reasonably priced and I have been quoted 2400 for a 32 gear drive and 200 more for the 36.

garyo
05-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll have to look into it. Never gave it a thought
Thanks

BINKY1902
05-29-2010, 10:17 PM
You can get the bradley/redhawk 36" hydro with bag, mulch kit, and sulky for $2,500. That's a hydro with an 18hp Honda commercial engine. You have to call them and get them to build it with the Honda though.

fredmullegun
05-29-2010, 10:18 PM
2500 will get you a 32" Exmark with a Kawasaki. Dealer support, made in america.

BINKY1902
05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
An Exmark Metro hydro for $2,500?

garyo
05-30-2010, 12:19 AM
A Redhawk has a better deck but is made in China. A Quick is made in the US and has good customer service. Is this correct?

RDA
05-30-2010, 12:37 AM
A Redhawk has a better deck but is made in China. A Quick is made in the US and has good customer service. Is this correct?

I don't believe the Redhawk deck is necessarily better AFAIK although I have never owned one. Also, the Quick deck is much maligned and honestly, BOP will likely be talking soon about a simple improvement that may eliminate the issues people have complained about related to the Quick 36. They told me they have a solution to address most all the complaints (I'll let them release their information) but you should call them and talk to them if you want to hear about it directly from them.

Again, come check out my Quick 36" if you want.

Regards,

Rich

lawnsaspire
05-30-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't believe the Redhawk deck is necessarily better AFAIK although I have never owned one. Also, the Quick deck is much maligned and honestly, BOP will likely be talking soon about a simple improvement that may eliminate the issues people have complained about related to the Quick 36. They told me they have a solution to address most all the complaints (I'll let them release their information) but you should call them and talk to them if you want to hear about it directly from them.

Again, come check out my Quick 36" if you want.

Regards,

Rich

I was told something similar when I called to complain about my deck ferociously clogging up. They didn't explain, but I wonder how this is improvment is going to help those of us who already own the current mower with it's deck clogging issues. Is the change something we can do to our already purchased Quicks? Doubtful

RDA
05-30-2010, 01:43 AM
I was told something similar when I called to complain about my deck ferociously clogging up. They didn't explain, but I wonder how this is improvment is going to help those of us who already own the current mower with it's deck clogging issues. Is the change something we can do to our already purchased Quicks? Doubtful

They clearly explained it to me, but again, I don't know that they have formally released the information. Yes, it is something all of us with Quicks can easily and inexpensively do and they are purportedly equipping all currently built mowers.

I have tried two sets of new blades from another company, the second set has been very promising (mulching). I cut my grass today (single cut), I'll have to post some pics.

Regards,

Rich

lawnsaspire
05-30-2010, 01:50 AM
RDA: Would you pm me and let me know. Seriously, the deck clogging issue is the only thing that keeps this mower from being a great and not just good mower. Yesterday was the dryest day this year b/c of no rain for a week and temps in the 80s and my Quick 44 fly through my lawns w/ ease. But when it's wet or damp be prepared to hear my cussing like a sailor. And I'm not a cusser.

KarlP
05-31-2010, 02:14 AM
No one has asked your intended use.

In my uneducated mind it would go something like this -
5 yards? Red Hawk/Bradley/Dixon.
25 yards? BOP
50+ yards? (Exmark, Scag, Toro, etc with good local dealer support)

For my own yard I went with the Bradley (Red Hawk direct from the importer). Why? $1913.50 got me a brand new 36" with electric start 18hp Kohler and dual Hydrogear drives. BOP was over $3500 for a dual hydro electric start 36". The BOP probably is a better mower. I wasn't convinced it was an 80% ($1600) better mower for my usage. I decided to accept a longer wheelbase, pistol grips, uglier welds, and slower parts shipping for that price difference.

I've got a dozen hours on the Bradley now. I really like the quality of cut, dual hydro maneuvering, quality of the components, etc. It is a way better mower than the LawnBoy SilverPro two stroke I had been using. However there have been a couple problems with the mower already. Both have been related to (lack of) setup.

1) The mower appears to be assembled with two bolt torques. Impact wrench tight or not quite finger tight. After having several nuts spin loose from vibrations in the first 15 minutes of operation I stopped and spent an hour loosening or tightening lots of bolts.

2) The governor was setup to run at 2950 RPM no load, but the owners manual for both the engine and mower say it should run at 3600 RPM no load. I'm not sure I would have known if I didn't install a tach/hour meter. I spent a few minutes and bumped it up to 3550. The extra 600rpm made a big improvement in the speed I can leave a quality cut. The mower will now cut smoothly at a speed faster than I want to walk/jog behind it now.

garyo
05-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks very good post. I went on the Redhawk website and they list a dealer about 1 mile away from me. I'm going to give them a call and see if they have one in stock to look at. As of now I'm only cutting 5 lawns but I don't know what the future holds.

DavidNJ
11-06-2010, 12:03 PM
And the answer is?

Did BOP fix the problem with clogging on wet grass?

How did the Redhawk/Bradley seem on inspection?

DavidNJ
11-07-2010, 03:27 PM
No one has asked your intended use.

For my own yard I went with the Bradley (Red Hawk direct from the importer). Why? $1913.50 got me a brand new 36" with electric start 18hp Kohler and dual Hydrogear drives. BOP was over $3500 for a dual hydro electric start 36". The BOP probably is a better mower. I wasn't convinced it was an 80% ($1600) better mower for my usage. I decided to accept a longer wheelbase, pistol grips, uglier welds, and slower parts shipping for that price difference.

When did you get it for $1920?

The Red Hawk with a 15hp recoil start is now $2600 and the Bradley with an 18hp Honda electric start is around $3k. That slots them in $400 more than the single hydro Quick and $5-600 less than the dual hydro Quick.

The belt drive is $2000.

If the a brand new 36" with electric start 18hp Kohler and dual Hydrogear drives was $1920 I'd stop looking.

GunnPropertyServices
11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
They clearly explained it to me, but again, I don't know that they have formally released the information. Yes, it is something all of us with Quicks can easily and inexpensively do and they are purportedly equipping all currently built mowers.

I have tried two sets of new blades from another company, the second set has been very promising (mulching). I cut my grass today (single cut), I'll have to post some pics.

Regards,

Rich

Hey Rich you care to share the model #s of the blades you are talking about for the Quick 36 ?

DavidNJ
11-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Hey Rich you care to share the model #s of the blades you are talking about for the Quick 36 ?

Is this it?

10043-S Quick 36 High-Lift Blade. $8.95

Standard high lift blade for Quick 36 mower (12-3/8 long). 3 Req'd.

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/ProductImages/10043-S_1.jpg

Exact Rototilling
11-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Is this it?

10043-S Quick 36 High-Lift Blade. $8.95

Standard high lift blade for Quick 36 mower (12-3/8 long). 3 Req'd.

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/ProductImages/10043-S_1.jpg

That is NOT the new Ultra Hi Lift Blade. Do you want me to post pics of the new ones? Not sure why they are not yet on the BOP website....:confused:

GunnPropertyServices
11-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I was looking to experient with some other type blades from other manufacturers not from BOP. I would like to see a picture of the new blades though.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-08-2010, 11:58 AM
The BOP mower will be 'Better' than that Redhawk unit.