PDA

View Full Version : No traction

dannyw
05-28-2010, 10:36 PM
The right tire on my toro time-cutter zx480 spins when I back up. I checked the air pressure and the tires look good. The left tire , the one beneath the gas tank, has a lot more traction. I don't think anything is bent. Anyone experienced this problem with the 480 or know what may be wrong?

Bates Lawn Care
05-28-2010, 11:10 PM
The one beneath the gas tank is always gunna get more traction becasue of the weight of the fuel

mowerbrad
05-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Like the previous poster said, the wieght of the fuel in the tank causes more weight to be over that left tire. You will notice that traction on the left tire is worse when you have little fuel in the tank. Many commercial mower manufacturers compensate for this problem by adding extra weight to the opposite side of the fuel tank to give both rear wheels similar traction or by putting the fuel tank in the center or even having two fuel tanks on the mower, one on each side.

You can always rig up your own weight kit to mount to the right side of your mower to help compensate for the weight and give you the better traction.

dannyw
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
The one beneath the gas tank is always gunna get more traction becasue of the weight of the fuel Yes that's what I though,but there's a really big difference.I can hardly back up with the right tire except on dry level ground.I checked on a hill and the right tire was sliding while the left tire had traction. I checked the hydros and everything seems fine. What do you think could be the proablem and what can I do to improve the traction on the right tire?

dannyw
05-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Do you think that something could be bent? I can't find anything wrong.Would tire weights help, and how much weight should I use? The tires look the same but I though about switching them. Does this model have poor traction?

Bates Lawn Care
05-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Do you think that something could be bent? I can't find anything wrong.Would tire weights help, and how much weight should I use? The tires look the same but I though about switching them. Does this model have poor traction?

The tire weights would help but like said before making your own weight is prolly better because if you put tire weights on both sides it would still have more traction on the fuel tank side.

mowerbrad
05-28-2010, 11:42 PM
I will guarantee that nothing is bent...I'm not even sure why something being bent would affect traction???? There is NOTHING wrong with your mower at all, its just that the weight of the gas provides better traction on that left side. Like I said before, rig up your own weight kit to give more weight to the right tire that doesn't get much traction.

Changing tires (going to a new tread pattern) could help slightly but not much. Your big problem is the weight imbalance on your mower. It is obvious that more weight is being put on the left side than the right. So even by changing to a different tread pattern, you will not see much (if any) improvement.

I'm not sure if you are just a home owner or actually a professional, but either way, you are using a residential grade mower...from the start I can tell you that they don't have near the performance of full commercial mowers. You are also going to be getting responses from guys who most likely haven't used the mower you have. Its not the model that is the problem, its the fact that its a residential grade mower. Not a whole lot of design (compared to commercial mowers) is put into these machines, so a flaw like poor traction is to be expected.

dannyw
05-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I have some old five lb metal plate weighs I could fashion wheel weights out of. What kind of weighs should I make and how do you suggest I fasten them? Thanks for helping.

Bates Lawn Care
05-28-2010, 11:50 PM
I have some old five lb metal plate weighs I could fashion wheel weights out of. What kind of weighs should I make and how do you suggest I fasten them? Thanks for helping.

Well I wouldn't put them on as wheel weights. But you should put it above the wheel like the gas tank on the opposite side not sure how much weight to put because when you get low on gas if you have to much weight on your other side and then have the same problem as you have now but on opposite side

dannyw
05-29-2010, 12:07 AM
The one beneath the gas tank is always gunna get more traction becasue of the weight of the fuel

I will guarantee that nothing is bent...I'm not even sure why something being bent would affect traction???? There is NOTHING wrong with your mower at all, its just that the weight of the gas provides better traction on that left side. Like I said before, rig up your own weight kit to give more weight to the right tire that doesn't get much traction.

Changing tires (going to a new tread pattern) could help slightly but not much. Your big problem is the weight imbalance on your mower. It is obvious that more weight is being put on the left side than the right. So even by changing to a different tread pattern, you will not see much (if any) improvement.

I'm not sure if you are just a home owner or actually a professional, but either way, you are using a residential grade mower...from the start I can tell you that they don't have near the performance of full commercial mowers. You are also going to be getting responses from guys who most likely haven't used the mower you have. Its not the model that is the problem, its the fact that its a residential grade mower. Not a whole lot of design (compared to commercial mowers) is put into these machines, so a flaw like poor traction is to be expected.

My dad mowed for the county with commercial mowers a few years ago. I remember when we bought the toro , I was very excited, but when we got it home all he would say is it's a little light. I know he was disappointed with it but I don't think he said much because he didn't wont to ruin it for me. Do you think 50 lbs is to much weight to add?

Bates Lawn Care
05-29-2010, 12:11 AM
My dad mowed for the county with commercial mowers a few years ago. I remember when we bought the toro , I was very excited, but when we got it home all he would say is it's a little light. I know he was disappointed with it but I don't think he said much because he didn't wont to ruin it for me. Do you think 50 lbs is to much weight to add?

yeah 50 is way to much to add the gas tank ways no more than 10lbs on it but you could use the 5lbs weights you was talking bout and just put on one at a time till it solves the problem

dannyw
05-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Maybe I could put them on the right tire ,or would that strain the hydros?

mnglocker
05-29-2010, 01:54 AM
How about taking the tires off, breaking the bead on one side and filling them with RV/Marine anti-freeze? Liquid ballast in tires works wonders and sinse the weight isn't on the axel bearings it shouldn't wear on the transaxels.

dannyw
05-29-2010, 07:46 AM
How about taking the tires off, breaking the bead on one side and filling them with RV/Marine anti-freeze? Liquid ballast in tires works wonders and sinse the weight isn't on the axel bearings it shouldn't wear on the transaxels.
How much anti-freeze should I put in the tires?

mnglocker
05-29-2010, 12:26 PM
How much anti-freeze should I put in the tires?

Fill it to so that the fluid takes aproximatley 80% of the tires volume.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/953kdjs/tireballastgraphic.jpg

Be sure to use polypropalyne (RV and Marine) Anti-freeze. It's not going to be corrosive to the rim or the rubber.

mysteryman
05-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Here's a link to gemplers

http://www.gemplers.com/tech/tire-liquid.htm#air

I have never used this system nor have I ever filled my tires, but this appears to be what was mentioned in the post above. Good luck with your weight distribution problem.

Hell on Blades
05-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Do the math -- your mower holds 5 gal, multiply by 6.216 pounds pr gallon.

At full, you hold about 31 pounds of fuel.

Put 15-20 pounds of weight on it, no more than 25.

dannyw
05-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks mnglocker. I put a couple gallons in the right tire. The traction is almost equal now and there's no extra strain on the mower. I wonder why the manufacturers don't put fluid in the tires at the factory?

Darryl G
09-22-2011, 12:35 AM
I keep the rear bagger hopper on my Lazer Z HP all the time because it makes a huge difference in traction.