PDA

View Full Version : Cheap lawn tractors

2 Black Thumbs
07-14-2002, 08:26 PM
:) Thanks for all the great information you people supply to our inquisitive minds. I was wondering, though, about the ability of commercial machines ability to cut so much better than a bottom feeder machine(Murray, in my case) In my case, this Murray even hit a big rock( about the size of My head) and other than breaking the belt, kept going. It's only a 11hp motor but as hard as I tried(3-4' lawn) and I stopped it in 6" of water,only once, or so, it seems to want to keep going::eek: It seems to cut pretty decient, but maybe I'm not pushing it as hard as you pro's. Any imput from you people is always greatly appreciated. Thanks. TBT:)

Wayne Offiler
07-14-2002, 08:55 PM
Any machine with sharp blades, well aligned, spinning with enough rpm will cut grass pretty decently; but you'll find that most "pros" simply do not use lawn tractors. Its not a question of quality, rather, they just are not productive. ZTR riders, or even a good hydro walk-behind (especially with sulky) with their speed and maneuverability will get a lawn done much faster.

Evan528
07-14-2002, 10:00 PM
I dont agree with Wayne. Not all mowers will cut well! A craftsman tractor throws clippings 2 ft where as my dixie chopper preads them across 3 mowing widths making them almost disapear! Commercial mowers also not only stripe better, but cut more smoothly. How about the fact that home owner equipment isnt even built or meant to work full time? A year of using a residential tractor and you will start experiencing cracking decks, worn spindles etc. There is areason a sear tractor is 1500 dollars and my Dixie Chopper cost 8600 dollars. Built with with parts that are just a tad more heavy duty ;)

awm
07-14-2002, 10:58 PM
u would be surprized but in my opinion th murray with briggs an hydrostat is
a good machine. its my pick for several reasons . mainly no dn timei n 3 yrs use.
now she was pretty well used up then but still gave a good cut. 30 -40 accts a week.murray is an independent company as far as i know . they have some good ideas. the hydros tuff, quick manuverer and
the 1 min leveling insures a l good cut.
if u go this rt,maintenance is critical.
shes homeowner but everything will hold up or did for me.i owned a lot o tractors an this was the best. and yes i owened the high end. use to laugh at murrays.
then i realized id been laughing at the same mowers for yrs . made me look at them harder.now its not a pro mower but in my opinion u talkin a lot more money
and this can get u there. course u could take advantage of the financing deals on exmarks ,that ive heard of..
get a lazer ror other good z. u just wont believe the difference.
i did say briggs and have noticed murray using another motor i would not care to own lately.

Brickman
07-14-2002, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't use a Murray.

I think it was Bladerunners that LOOKED cheap. Don't hold me to that, but runs in the back of my mind that was the name.

vipermanz
07-15-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Brickman Lawn Care

I think it was Bladerunners that LOOKED cheap. Don't hold me to that, but runs in the back of my mind that was the name.

same here:dizzy:

redtailhawk
07-19-2002, 02:56 PM
for what it is worth,I bought a Murray 11/36 back in 1985,yes 1985.I've used it every year since,I only cut 4 or 5 yards a week,but most are large yards.I change oil about every 3 weeks.I have never had a problem of any kind other than changing blades and belts. runs good cuts good even if it is just a MURRAY

yardboyltd
07-19-2002, 04:21 PM
I use a murray for long industrial ditch, if that tells you anything...

Albemarle Lawn
07-19-2002, 10:11 PM
THANK YOU

dukester
07-19-2002, 10:53 PM
We have one Murry a 20 hp 46" cut. It's the second one in 3 months. The first one died ele. problems. I'm using another one now mainly for clearing lots. We have a tractor bush hog it first them go back over it with the Murray a couple of times. I won't use it to do a good yard. We use a Exmark Metro 36 and a Toro 33" for them. These two mowers give a lot better cut. I almost think of the Murray as a cheap fill in. So I don't have to use my good mowers on ruff work. I say use it till you get enough money to get a real mower. Built to last and hold it's resale value. Have you priced a used Murray lately. You can't get anything for them. Just my 2 cents.

The Mowerdude
07-19-2002, 11:25 PM
Hey Albermarle Lawn:

I laughed my tail off when I read your response. :D That was good!

I gotta say this. My very first year, I had a murray because I didn't know any better. I could NOT keep it running, I could NOT get it to cut smooth and I could NOT make any money with it. I swear I must've quit the business a hundred times that year. The wide turn radius was mind numbing and the constant having to shift from a forward gear to reverse and back......oh, please!!! The only reason I kept going is because I didn't have any other job to fall back on. Why don't we just go cut yards with scissors!!

With all due respect, guys, we're comparing Geo Metros with Corvettes! And anyone who is serious about making a living at this, could see that the differences are as plain as the nose on your face. Which means that if a person wants to mow professionally and he uses a murray, craftsman or any other home owner's type of lawn tractor, it must be because he thinks he's smarter than the rest of us by not spending the money for the right stuff. Which means that he ain't spending the money for a business license, insurance, workman's comp or any expenses that seperate him from being a SCRUB!!

Wew! I feel better now. :blush:

awm
07-19-2002, 11:51 PM
well mower dude u just had the wrong murray. i said specifically the briggs hydrostst..,combination an that hydro makes all the difference in the world .
now as cheap riders go ,which was i believe what we are talkin. this particular mower is a better choice than any of the
blank an blank high end mowers i owned
by the way two of them were hydrostats also. but the cut didnt compare.
i dont bash unless i think folks ought to be warned about a particular machine.
ive taken this one thru its paces and w good maintenance ,it will take care of buisiness. granted theres something to learn about how to get the most efficiency out of iit.its no ztr but if i didnt have this lazer ,that murray in the back can, an will do the job. thats not an opinion . thats just a fact. i stand ready to prove that against any mower 42 or that class.i know its a mute point but ill be glad to mow aganst anything in its class.if i dont win ,u wont make me look bad w cut or
work accomplished.
its not a machine that deserves bashing . mabe yours did ,but the two ive owned didnt.nuff talk ,have a great
weekend.