PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Cooler

TracStr400
04-09-2000, 03:26 PM
I have an '87 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy. I just noticed that what I thought was a tranny fluid cooler is an engine oil cooler. The lines run out of the cooler and go directly above the oil filter. What is the purpose of having an engine oil cooler. I always thought that warmer oil was better.

yortengel
04-09-2000, 03:40 PM
Oil Coolers are A good thing. They are usually found with a trailer tow package. The engine oil helps cool the engine. And keeping the engine at the right temperature makes it more efficient. Makes it last longer.<br>Wish I had one on My 84 K-20.<br>

robkel
04-10-2000, 09:24 PM
YOUR ENGINE OIL COOLER IS A VERY VALUBLE FEATURE. THERMAL BREAKDOWN IS YOUR OILS WORST ENEMY. THESE COOLERS REALLY HELP MAINTAIN STABLE OIL TEMPERATURES AND AVOID &quot;HOT SPOTS&quot; IN THE ENGINE .. [EVER NOTICE YOUR OIL PRESSURE DROPS AS TEMP INCREASES?]

John DiMartino
04-11-2000, 05:41 PM
That oil cooler is your friend,just keep an eye on the lines and fittings,my brother in laws s10 blew a line on the freeway,it seized up when he pulled off the exit.Big$$$.A simple check would've prevented all that by spotting the line rubbing on the steering box.Its a shame-it only had 230K on it,thats just broken in for a 4.3 .<p>----------<br>John D<br>