PDA

View Full Version : Scag 3 wheeler mower?

FrankenScagMachines
07-14-2002, 11:03 PM
I found a Scag, no more than 10 years old, it's a 3 wheel outfront mower, like an Exmark Turf Ranger, but I don't know the name for the Scag one. Anyhow, it has alot of fire damage. The motor and all plastic and rubber is melted down. The deck and frame is ok still. I would have to put on another motor and many other components, possibly even hydro drives. I'd be doing all the work myself. It looks like a 5' deck. I want to know if these cut good (of course) how manueverable are they? I would definately use it, but I'm not sure how much money I would need to sink into it to replace all the damaged stuff. If it was just the engine and a few other small things, I would probably do it, but if the hydros are fried it could be a different story, that could get expensive. It is at a mower junkyard and I could probably swap some junk i have for it and also maybe some cash. This could be my chance to get a good big mower at a good price, by doing the work myself.

What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance,
Eric

Kent Lawns
07-14-2002, 11:09 PM
Assuming your time is worthless, you're probably going to be upside down, even with a good transmission (they do not have hydros like a ZTR)

If your time is worth anything, forget about it.

FrankenScagMachines
07-14-2002, 11:17 PM
This would be to work on in my spare time, and over the winter. I don't have all my days full mowing. I think it does have a hydro, not twin ones, but a single one like a garden tractor, then the rear wheel keeps it straight and steers it. Assume I am replacing the motor and some other stuff, is it worth it? Then what if the transmission got fried, is it still worth it? Labor doesn't count, I don't care how much time it takes, I wouldn't plan on having it to use until next year. So basically is it worth it to put the parts money into it? I'd get a used motor not a new one for now. Thanks,
Eric

turfguy
07-14-2002, 11:31 PM
ok well figure an engine alone is about 1200 bucks and hoses tires,cables,battery,control panel,seat, and paint run you another 1200 bucks you still have to figure your labor in. You could find something pretty good used for 3k or so...take my advice.....look for a good used well maintained machine!

just my 2 cents

WatkinsLawn
07-14-2002, 11:37 PM
BushHogBoy,

The Scag three wheel riders are called STHM's. I have one that is 8 years old and we use it every day. Mine has a 61 inch deck and is surprisingly manuverable. the drive system is hydrolic although it does not zero turn it does do a perfect 180 degree turn at the end of the pass. I like mine so much that I have replaced the engine and the deck at 2000 hours and it cuts and runs like new (it should). This mower is great in hills as well as mowing around and under obstacles. You'll be impressed by the way it can get in and out of tight areas for as big as it is.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

edward hedrick
07-14-2002, 11:38 PM
I own a 1999 Scag Sthm 61, or three wheel actually 5 wheels.

a good one can be bought here for 3-4 K. I put 850 hrs on mine

since 99. Mine has a 22 Koh. new they are 1500. Before buying one in pieces find a used one with low hours. They're not as fast

as a Z but with the front deck its easier under trees. Also the deck raises to change weight dist. to back out of places a Z

Sometimes I like the rear swing you are out side a tree instead of in it.

WatkinsLawn
07-14-2002, 11:44 PM
Turfguy has a good point.
The engine on mine cost me $2300.00 (included installation) for a 23 HP Koehler and the deck was $1100.00 (also included installation) this was just the shell. A complete deck with spindels was about $1700.00. I think the Hydro pump is about $400.00 the ignition and wire cables over $200.00 and so on. Even if you bought all these parts used you could still buy a good complete mower for the same or less than what you would spend on this.

yardman1
07-14-2002, 11:58 PM
$2300 for a kohler 23, that seems a little high, but that is my opinon.:(

FrankenScagMachines
07-15-2002, 12:04 AM
No, I mean a used motor.
For instance, there's a brand new in the box 25hp Kohler vertical shaft that would work perfect for this mower- only $525. Why? Because a guy got it free out of some warranty work on a mower he bought. It is not one of those factory screw up motors that doesn't have a place for the oil filter either, it's a good regular one. But I would probably either get that engine or a used one. I don't think there's a whole lot of damage to this thing other than the motor and other small stuff. I think I could fix it for under a grand if the hydro is ok. This would just be a project mower. I kinda wanted a ztr, but this would be fine too if it could be affordable for me to fix up, and I could fix it over time instead of paying one big chunk like getting a Ztr. I haven't made a deal with him yet, can't get ahold of him, but I could probably get it for under $200, get a good used motor for a couple hundred, i think the tires were intact still believe it or not. Maybe just hoses and wiring and motor, new blades and belts and it might go. i'm not sure yet i didn't look at it too good. If he makes a real good deal i might take it not sure yet. Just something i'm thinking about.
Thanks,
Eric

HarryD
07-15-2002, 01:06 AM
if you paid $2500 for a 25 command you got ripped off you can get one new in the box for about $1500

http://j-thomas.com/

the naked mower
07-15-2002, 09:19 AM
I'm in the process of rebuilding an old STHM myself. If you send the serial number on the frame to Scag, they'll send you an operator's manual that includes exploded views of how it all goes together.

Parts, both OEM and aftermarket, are available from rcpw.com (I am not affiliated with them in any way) at a discount from what you would pay at the dealer.

Before you hand over your barter goods and cash, I would check the deck and frame for straightness with a straightedge or a 3-foot level. If they're tweaked, forget it.

While there are things an STHM can do that ZTR's can't, and vice versa, the fact they're still being made and purchased should tell you something about their innate value.

Personally, I'd do it.

FrankenScagMachines
07-15-2002, 09:33 AM
Well that's kinda what I thought, it must be pretty good if they still make and sell a good many of them. The main thing about doing this is that I don't care if it cost as much as getting one just like it with 500 hours on it, I can't afford to get it all in one big chunk, so this way I can pay for it as I can/want to. And if I don't like it I can always resell it and get my labor out of it. Then get a different mower. Do they use an electric clutch or a manual clutch for the mower deck? I prefer manual's because they last forever whereas electric's dont last all that long even if you baby it (turn it on and off with low rpm's on engine).

Does the STHM cut and stripe pretty good?
I'm alittle worried about the 3 wheel design, I know it will leave a streak down the middle of the cut, which I think makes it look like it cuts bad. But I have seen a yard being cut with a STHM and it looks ok (do not see a third streak being too evident). Can you trim around a pencil with it even though it is not zero turn? I like the idea of the deck going around a tree with the rider being outside of it.
It just seems like this may not be a bad idea to try.
Thanks,
Eric

sbvfd592
07-15-2002, 02:22 PM
eric,
go for it man if the frame isent bent out of shape get some pics of it .

the naked mower
07-15-2002, 11:28 PM
Eric, I weigh 230 pounds, but the rear wheel of the Scag won't tell on me. There's no wheel stripe at all unless you overinflate the sucker.

And you bet you can trim around a pencil. Plus, it's easy to see the pencil in question as it's out there in front of you, not underneath.

I go around a lot of pines and apple trees, and the out-front deck makes it a pleasure. As for leaving a nice striping pattern, the cut the STHM makes is as good as anyone's. Do you remember the lawns of ten years ago looking any worse than they do today?

The older STHM's have manual mower clutches -- great for engaging heavier (double) blades.

Cranking up the deck while underway changes the weight transfer allowing you to zip through mud. Slipping on a hillside or in long, wet grass? Drop a foot overboard and use it to "scooter" yourself along.

These old workhorses aren't terribly fast -- around 6 mph. And you wouldn't have a new mower, you'd have a fixed-up old mower -- but a real classic old mower. I suppose it depends on what kind of guy you are... would you rather have a '57 Chevy Bel-Air convertible you rebuilt yourself, or a nice, reliable late-model Toyota? There's something to be said for both. My preference is already pretty obvious.

HarryD
07-15-2002, 11:35 PM
http://j-thomas.com

Eric
click on link when ya get there click on catalog then when ya get to veiw catalog click on 2002 catalog index about half way down the page is parts list for your scag STHM has list of parts plus prices

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 12:02 AM
Well I got the thing... wow i got my work cut out for me. Ok, here's the lowdown, got it for $125 and the guy threw in another engine, a 20-25hp? Kohler twin offa Scag mower of some sort for free but it is missing the flywheel carb and alot of shrouds, maybe usable dunno. Tires- the back one might hold air haven't checked yet, the drive tires are junked, the casters on front are fine, the spindles are loose, the deck is good, frame is good, rims are all good, and it does have electric PTO clutch which looks salvageable. The hydros i'm not sure yet. It sure is a tank! alot of good on it and alot of bad... pictures later. I am going to take all the junk off and then have it sandblasted and paint it (Scag orange of course). Build a motor for it and get all the other missing or screwed up stuff and take it out and "chop doc" with it! I will check out the websites, and I'm gonna get the numbers and find out how old it is. It doesn't look too old but it's well rusted on alot of it. oh yea the website said 6.8 mph, i'll be lucky if mine limps ;) :eek: :p
Later,
Eric

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 09:20 AM
This is me on my baby... now you will be telling me what a fool I am LOL well I'll show you guys next year I'll be cuttin' with it.

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 09:28 AM
well actually it's not so bad in the picture.. it's gonna be a job that's for sure... more pics later

vipermanz
07-16-2002, 09:34 AM
i wish i could find a deal/project like that,,, how did you find yours??:)

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 09:36 AM
having technical difficulties here, be patient with me... (darn *^*&$&^*&%^%$%^ computer!!!)

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 09:46 AM

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 09:48 AM
-

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 09:49 AM
'_'

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 09:52 AM
vipermanz, got it from a mower junkyard behind a mower repair shop. The guy had 'bought' it from an insurance company. I sure hope the hydros and wheel motors are ok. Not sure how much heat they can take.
Eric

GilbertJT
07-16-2002, 03:40 PM
Bushhogboy, congratulations on the new purchase. You definitely have your work cut out for you. I recently rebuilt a Scag walkbehind over last winter and had a great time doing it. I love just tinkering and figuring out how all that stuff works. Plus this year I was able to reap the rewards. The mower mows awesome. I couldn't be happier with the end results. I don't think that a brand new mower could mow any better. A few suggestions to think about. Don't paint multiple coats of the Scag paint. It is expensive stuff. I used a safety orange paint for my base coats over my primer and then did a final coat of the Scag paint. It looks good. Also check out places like Jthomas.com and rcpw.com. They both carry alot of Scag parts and much more reasonable than the dealers. Well good luck, keep us posted.

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Oh no, I didn't mean use Scag brand paint, just cheaper stuff that's a close match. I would rather spend the difference in money on other parts! I work part time sometimes for a friend who has a small engine repair shop, he can get alot of parts for alot less than you can on the 'net. He will sell them to me for his price. I think I might rebuild an engine for it over the winter, it's not that expensive (when you have one rebuilt its the labor that gets you for the most part) and it's better to do it then than have it give me trouble in the middle of next season because I dont' have another mower this big (well got a 48" hydro GT but not the same) and I'd like to take on bigger accounts. I want them at least one acre so I can get this thing on and off and not have out of proportion stripes and all. I'd like to get some commercial properties. It seems like they would be alot better. No customer problems (pay good on time and don't price shop as much, can get a contract so you can count on them) well I guess I'm wrong on some of that but it seems like you guys like them better. Around here a commercial property usually has quite a bit of grass so a 61" commercial mower will do good. I'm also probably going to put longer lug bolts on it and put spacers on so that the wheels go closer to the edge of the deck, for better stripes. I will have to experiment to get that right. I know I lose some trim ability but I really value my stripes and I don't mind to string trim a tad more to get them either. I work quick but not faster than I can do a good job at. Once (maybe if?) I get this baby rolling and cuttin' I might make a walk behind out of my rear engine rider that I'm using now, for the islands in parking lots and small residential yards. I try not to use a 21" mower.
Eric

sbvfd592
07-16-2002, 09:41 PM
looks like a fun winter!!! if you paint it i whould call scag and see if they will send you decals for it unless they paint that on idk i have never look to see.

FrankenScagMachines
07-16-2002, 11:30 PM
I believe they are decals. While mowing today I was thinking it might be neat to put some black streaks on it like the Turf Tiger. Then have decals that instead of saying Scag say Super Scag. Then have one somewhere that says "The Beast" (what I will call it) and maybe somewhere it could say "EC Grounds Maintenance 378-9729". A local LCO has a few Great Dane ZTR's and in 1" lettering on them it says "Blackwood Mowing (phone number)"
I like personalizing things. I can't stand to leave them as they were from the factory...
Eric

FrankenScagMachines
07-17-2002, 10:19 AM
How much does a STHM weigh?
How much does the hydro pump cost?
How much do the wheel motors cost?
Those I have not looked into, if anyone knows how much that will cost I would appreciate it. Soon I will go out and "take inventory" of it, see what is there and salvageable and what is missing or fried.
Thanks,
Eric

yardman1
07-17-2002, 10:29 AM
The STHM weight is 950. If you can get the serial numbers off the machine you can go to www.scag.com and download a manual for that year model. For the parts J-thomas has parts for the Sthm and the pump is $525 and the wheel motor is $399 and they have alot of other parts for that mower also. goodluck with your project.

HarryD
07-17-2002, 12:32 PM
eric from your pics it didnt melt or burn the tires i would think the wheel pumps would be fine not sure about the main pump

awm
07-17-2002, 02:02 PM
sorry bushhog,igotta ask.tho i never know when ill get back. did the motor melt.. if it got that hot ,dont see how the tires survived. u might be able to use it an the other, to make one good motor.
by the way good luck w that rebuild.

FrankenScagMachines
07-17-2002, 03:28 PM
Tires- yea they're alittle melted on one of the tires, the other one is junk anyhow. The only thing on the engine that melted is the plastic shrouds and sheilds etc. All the gas and hydro fluid tanks and battery are gone. Bunch of other stuff is all rusted up or missing. The second engine is missing about the same stuff as the burned one. No carburetor or shrouds and it's got a bad journal on one end of the crank. I'll probably find another one to use. awm - the mower didn't catch on fire when i was using it, it was burnt before I got it from the lawnmower boneyard.
Yardman - couldn't find the place on Scag's site for manuals and the other pages are not working. I already emailed Scag yesterday to ask for manuals.
Funny thing, yesterday evening I was puttin' around on an old Dynamark lawn tractor that was given to me, there's no manifold or exhaust of any kind on it. It was backfiring all the time (from all the raw gas and air and spark) and I was down in the backyard by the garden where mom and my little brother were, and i idled it down and it died because it doesn't idle correct. Well I saw smoke coming from the front of the mower and looked and OMG! it's on fire! So I told mom and my brother to get back and I ran to the house and got a fire extenguisher and came all the way back running, knowing it would probably hit the gas line and blow because the carb was burning, well i saved it and it turned out that only the grease and gunk on the outside of the carb burned, the gas line nor air filter (foam) were even melted. So I started it up and drove it up to the garage where I put a muffler on it to catch that problem. Right now the rear end is out of it, I'm working on making it into a 30" walk behind mower. It'll have an 8hp B&S electric start engine and a 3 speed tranny. 18x9.50x8 rear tires (big!). Really a 36" deck would have been a better match for it because of the wheel tread width, and 8hp will turn that fine, but all I have are 30" single blade decks. So I turned the wheels around on the axles and it'll work ok. The deck is from a Simplicity so you know it'll cut good. It doesn't have a full roller on it though but I will probably put something on it to help with striping.
Just noticed, I kinda changed subjects, well anyhow, later,
Eric

yardman1
07-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Bushhogboy, sorry abut that they used to have a place on there site that you could download manuals on it, but anyway contact this quy at scag and ask him for one cframe@scag.com

Kevin
Williams Lawn Management

turfguy
07-17-2002, 09:15 PM
Looks like a good winter project! Since the tireslook like they did not get to fried I would think that the hydro pump and motor are ok. most of the heat rises.The scag paint is called cats eye gold and most dealers can order it. they also have decals and all the goodies to make it look like new. keep the photos so you will have a real good before and after shot.

best of luck
mark

FrankenScagMachines
07-17-2002, 10:23 PM
I hope all the drive stuff is OK. That would help alot financially. But it has been sitting quite a while as well, will that damage them?
I'll probably take a couple more before photos as well (off the trailer and closeup).
Yardman, I'll get ahold of that guy.
Thanks,
Eric

Alanky
07-18-2002, 01:46 AM
Well Eric here that eXmark we talked about ;) It looks worse in the pics then it does in person. Like I said it is rusty because I left it in the back of a truck for two rainy days after it was sandblasted. Other than the parts that I told you were missing it is all here. Come take it off my hands :)

Alanky
07-18-2002, 01:50 AM
Sorry I dont know how to put 2 pics in one post :confused:

Alanky
07-18-2002, 01:54 AM
Pulleys and most everything else.

Told ya she needs quite a bit of TLC ;) but I have seen your handy work.

FrankenScagMachines
07-18-2002, 09:11 AM
Alan, just in case you haven't checked your email before LS, I shot you an email back. Will call you later,
Thanks
Eric

southside
07-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Looks like it's seen happier days,dude.

sbvfd592
08-14-2002, 04:05 PM
so how is this project coming along eric

LAWNGODFATHER
08-31-2002, 03:06 AM
That should have an Eaton tranny.

If it fried good the seals in the tranny have been distroyed. The fire transmitted heat through the lines back to the tranny.

It might be fun rebuilding that mower, but look to spend over $2500 to do it.

Most hydro mowers that burned are unrebuildable for cost effectiveness. Just the labor alone costs more than to buy a new mower.

With that said and we know you will do it anyways, make sure you post the pic's!!!!!!!!!

mowerconsultant
08-31-2002, 12:03 PM
No Eaton hydro in the Scag.
They use a Sundstrand pump and 2 wheel motors.
Ferris and Exmark are the ones who used the Eaton transaxle.

Later
Pj

LAWNGODFATHER
08-31-2002, 03:43 PM
Awwwee man Now I feel real sorry for him, he is in worse shape than with the Eaton.

Maybe he can get lucky and find a few more burnt mowers for the hydro system.

landman
08-31-2002, 09:38 PM
we have a couple STHM's and let me tell you our 72" needed 2 new wheel motors and a new hydro trans (trans went bad and the metal shavings got to the wheel motors) guess what Wheel motor $650.00 each ($1300.00) new hydro trans $1100.00 ($2400.00 so far) labor, pulley, belt, misc hardware and supplies $600.00 (thats $3000.00 total plus uncle sam at another$180.00) and to think this mower only has 1700 hours on it. but at the same time for the amount of money a new mower cost and the fact of how much grass we cut with it it was worth it for us. our other 61" STHM needed a motor Kohler 25 hp with muffler and carb etc. plus installation $2700.00 but once again well worth it for us. I guess waht I am saying here is that if you do the labor yourself anf get parts cheap it's still gonna cost you a pretty penny. and if this is about what it's gonna cost you then I would suggest just going for another $1000.00 and buy a new zero turn rider with a warranty and no breakdowns. Just my opinion but on the other hand if you are gonna be cutting 2+ acre lots and need a big machine then i would build it as a long term project possibly with aftermarket and or used parts.

FrankenScagMachines
09-02-2002, 04:03 PM
Sorry i didn't reply to this guys, I've been gone a couple days. I know it will be expensive. The Scag dealer's mechanic told me the wheel motors should be fine and the pump is probably rebuildable. Motor from smallenginewarehouse.com is around a thousand for 18-22hp Kohler. I can plan on at least $1500 as I looked up what I needed in JThomas and what I can't get from there, priced at Scag dealer. Right now I'm not doing a thing as I've been getting a few free mowers right now some need work others don't, so I am kinda spinning trying to keep it all straight. Every time I get ready to do one thing with them I get another offer and so I decide to do that one cause its cheaper. Going to get that eXmark w/b pictured on this thread tomorrow from Alanky.
I probably won't do the Scag for a while depending on what happens with everything else.
Landman, how do you like the STHM's? How does the 61" cut and stripe? Does the third wheel leave a bad mark (3rd streak)? If you can post pics of your mower and of a lawn cut with it I would love to see them.
Thanks,
Eric

dlandscaping
09-02-2002, 04:07 PM
At the rate you are going now neither the exmark or scag will get done. To me its not worth it. If your time was worth even $5 an hr then you would have figured out what you have is pure junk.

sbvfd592
09-02-2002, 04:09 PM
hey i bet that thing will be sweet whne its done time is worth nothing if u do in in your spair time

dlandscaping
09-02-2002, 04:13 PM
I bet that thing never gets done. He is not experienced with the machine meaning it will take him extra hours to do engine transplant etc. Parts alone will kill his budget. That mower is about $6500 or less new and he will pump a good $3000+ into it. Unless he buys parts wholesale like me its not worth it even if he has the spare time.

FrankenScagMachines
09-02-2002, 04:31 PM
whats your problem dlandscaping?
They are around 8k new FYI. BlueBook value for a '94 like this (running) is 3500 if good condition. This one will be completly rebuilt with a new engine for no more than 3k. I'm doing the work in my spare time. So I don't see how I'm getting burned. Even if I do whats it to you? Lay off dude...
For now it's on the list of future projects. Don't have time or money to do it now, but maybe some winter I can get to it.
Later,
Eric

DLCS
09-02-2002, 04:35 PM
I agree with Dlandscaping. Bushhogboy would have been better off to save his money and bought a good used, running mower, instead of sinking so much time/money in this Scag. How reliable will this mower be once its rebuilt. If you are in this business to make money you must have reliable equipment or have back-up mowers that can handle your accounts. But thats just my opinion
and you know how opinions go.

Mike

FrankenScagMachines
09-02-2002, 04:39 PM
screw you guys..... gosh lay off me... i haven't spent a dollar on it yet and already you're bashing me.

kris
09-02-2002, 04:41 PM
Eric,

I admire you .... Not many kids your age would have the desire or know how to take on this project. Keep up the good work!

FrankenScagMachines
09-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Thanks Kris at least someone has confidence in me.... It's not like I don't know how to do this stuff. I've been workin on mowers since I was about 10 and rebuilt my first engine when I was 13. It's gonna be a peice of cake for the work but the money is harder to come by since I need a truck now too.

odin
09-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Eric bushhogboy

No matter how the mower turns out good bad what ever i think its great what your doing .

Good luck with the scag i hope it works out for ya.

sbvfd592
09-02-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by odin00
Eric bushhogboy

No matter how the mower turns out good bad what ever i think its great what your doing .

Good luck with the scag i hope it works out for ya.

DITTO :D as long as u have fun

Scag48
09-02-2002, 11:41 PM
dlandscaping-You have a problem with people having better equipment than you. I think you need to realize that there are people out there willing to work at it to make something work out. I think his Scag will kick *** when it's done.

PaulJ
09-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Eric,
I wish I had the knowledge and guts to tear into some of the projects you've talked about . It sounds lilke building and rebuilding mowers and mechanical things is something you realy enjoy, and If you can save or make soome money with it, that's just a bonus. Me, I know just enough to be dangerous. I like operating the ,machines, and figuring out how they work, but trouble shooting and fixing is where I usualy do more harm than good. so good luck with the exmark, skag and other future projects, and have fun.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-03-2002, 12:11 AM
Maybe you should consider a different job.

Lot Lizard for an LCO

Mower Mechanic

Being good with your hands is not a bad thing. Just use those hands for real tools.

vipermanz
09-03-2002, 05:02 AM
i wish i could find something on that scale to tear into, i am always building something!!

FrankenScagMachines
09-03-2002, 09:18 AM
LGF, whats a lot lizard?

dlandscaping
09-03-2002, 03:24 PM
Scag48,
For one i dont have a problem with anyone having "better equipment" than me. At this time and with the properties I service it is economical for me to run my 36 and 21. I could have a Z but i wouldnt get many hours on it a year. Everyone would agree that a goddamm working mower is 100 times better than a burnt out scag. Mine cuts his doesnt, mine can drive itself his can't. I dont care for his mowers. He doesn't even have a truck. He has 1client and needs close to $10,000 to really start up. I have already spent close to $20k investing in this biz and will be adding a $4k plow to my truck this fall. I know what equipment i need and i use it. I dont get a 61 sthm burned out and post about it all day. You know how big of properties you need to make that mower productive? It looks to me that he can only carry that mower on his trailer at a time. Is he going to trim everything with his craftsman weed whip. Grow up.

yardman1
09-03-2002, 08:20 PM
Eric, I think it is great what you are doing and I hope it works out great. Screw what everybody else thinks!!!!!! I think it is awesome for someone of your age to have the knowledge that you have with working with things, if we could get kids your age to do half the things that you do that would be great.
dlandscaping get off his back, you act like he is spending your money with this project, but you know what he is not!!!!!!!

FrankenScagMachines
09-03-2002, 10:01 PM
sorry dlandscaping, I don't have a craftsman weed whip. I have a new Stihl FS80. I don't need a truck I have a '92 E350 Ford van to use. It is a F350 truck underneath. I would like a truck but this van has 192,000 miles on it and I wouldn't get anything out of it even though it is in super condition.
You are just jealous and spouting off, get over it b!tch...

dlandscaping
09-03-2002, 11:02 PM
Yep thats it, I am jealous of your junk. I must admit.

Not are you on crack. Have fun with that van and burned out scag. I'll pass you in my p/u pulling a trailer of "working mowers."

Omg a stihl weedeater welcome to the big boys. Is that your first piece of commercial equipment? Ive got three new trimmers you think im jealous of one. Two br420's here too a 95 f250extended cab xlt 4*4, toro commercial 21 and 36, billygoat pushblower, bluebird aerator, bluebird thatcher, lesco spreader, 6.5*12 trailer, stihl and echo hedgeclippers, echo edger. Still think im jealous or do you now get the point.

FrankenScagMachines
09-03-2002, 11:11 PM
Ok, I'm glad your not jealous. So what was your reason for being such a jerk anyhow?

yardman1
09-03-2002, 11:19 PM
Oh, I am so jealous of dlandscaping ........................

ha ha

odin
09-03-2002, 11:20 PM
One thing about it while eric, is working on that junk and learning how to work on these kinds of machines. Most of us will be paying a repair shop 60$ an hour to do those repairs he's learning or has learnt to do:D

Eric i hope the scag works for ya

ps you wanna know what a lot lizard is just ask a truck driver:D

Cooper Landscaping
09-03-2002, 11:45 PM
Dlandscaping- just becuase eric has the initiative to rebuild a mower and you arent...thats not our problem. I think its great that he is taking that extra challenge to not just going out and buying something, but to buy something that needs work and to rebuild the thing so its just as goos as anybody elses mower.

Everyone has their own thing, erics is rebuilding this mower...yours is being a jerk. Just because you have a bunch of shiny new equipment doesnt mean that makes you any better than he is. Im sure he can mow a lawn just as well as you can. This message board is about helping people and not bashing them.

I would be willing to bet when you were erics age you hadnt started your own business, bought your own equipment and learned how to rebuild a mower. Just because you sat on you @$$ when you were a kid doesnt mean that eric should, and if he wants to rebuild a mower and be proud of it, why deprive him of it. I know sure wish i could do that.

Im sure from reading the past posts that most of the people on lawnsite are behind eric all the way on this....if youre not then dont bother to keep clicking on this thread-just skip over it and stop wasting our time!
-Coop

1MajorTom
09-04-2002, 12:06 AM
Dlandscaping:

Please step back from this thread a bit. Sounds like you are making this personal for whatever reason I'm not sure.

If you are not interested in BushHog's project, no need to try and jab at him and deflate his enthusiasm. That's just not a cool thing to do.

Thanks

Scag48
09-04-2002, 12:44 AM
Finally, a moderator! LOL. :cool:

John Gamba
09-04-2002, 06:54 AM
My hat's off to 1 Major Tom. Eric That offer Will be good Till december If You change Your Mind.

Maybe I Can go lower When my wifes Not Looking.
Good luck
Johnny G. Lawnone.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by BushHogBoy
LGF, whats a lot lizard? Yard boy; sharpen blades, lube mowers, fix stuff, clean trucks, etc.....

odin
09-04-2002, 07:38 PM
lgf

Lot lizard means something else at big truck stops:D

They call it commercial company the truckers will know what im talking about:D

And these lot lizards might do some sharping and lubeing but it aint with a blade grinder and grease gun:D

TLS
09-04-2002, 07:49 PM
odin,

Thats my idea of one also. Never though of one pretaining to lawn care!

Usually they're 46 going on 18, addicted to crack and money, roaming the "LOTS" of truckstops all over the interstate system. You see a lot of truckers have stickers about "eye" level that has a pic of a lotlizzard with a "ghostbusters" NO slashed through it. It usually says, "Just say NO to LotLizzards".

FrankenScagMachines
09-04-2002, 08:28 PM
LOL I know the kind of lot lizard you mean about truck stops LOL heard alot about them.
odin00, your right about the $60/hour thing. Thats no joke, it gets high, then they charge you double what they pay for parts, it's cr@ppy! I can get them for the same price as the dealer, then do the work myself in spare time, so it's not gonna be as expensive as going to a Scag dealer and getting all that stuff.
I'm gonna ignore anything dlandscaping adds to this post... so don't bother to reply!
Eric

crawdad
09-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Eric,
You just got the scag of your dreams, now you're switching to the Exmark junker? Whatsamatta you, eh? Some crazy kid...should be playing Nintendo or something.....
Just kidding, I think it's great that you are building your own stuff. When you decide what you want to keep, sell the other stuff.
Stihl FS80? I sold three of them this year. Ya shoulda been there, gave the dude a heck of a deal. Bought a new FS85 last year, hoping that it lasts the 15 years or so that my FS80 did. I can only run one at a time.
Crawdad
I'd put a list of my machines here, but it would be way longer than this comment, and I don't do it on purpose, cuz after all is said and done, I'm just some guy on the internet, and my, (and everyone elses) comments should be taken as such...

:drinkup:

FrankenScagMachines
09-04-2002, 11:22 PM
crawdad, I'm gonna keep both mowers!
1998 6.5'x12' open trailer, 12" sides, gate ramp, 16" wheels
1994 Scag STHM 61"
1994? eXmark 32" belt drive w/b with one wheel Velke
2002 Stihl FS80 straight shaft trimmer

So I'll be set once I get the mowers done. I won't touch a 21" mower. I sold the one I had bought and fixed up. Didn't use it, just fixed it and sold it, made alittle money.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-14-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by BushHogBoy
, got it for $125

For another $525 you could have bought this running mower.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-14-2002, 08:48 PM
I went to pick up a part and found this in the used and junk mower yard.

$650.

I played on it for a few. Runs good and cuts good too.

FrankenScagMachines
09-14-2002, 08:56 PM
Is that a Bob Cat?
I'm thinking that I might just take the deck from this Scag and some other parts I have laying around and make a twin engine, gear drive front mower. THINKING about it anyway. Reasons:
It wouldn't cost me very much, so I can get a truck sooner. It will work just as well, and I like making things so I can do it just how I want and learn in the process, and it will be something no one else has. It'd have a 3spd. transaxle, 18" drive tires, flip up deck, twin 8hp B&S electric start engines, 16" dual steering tires (setup like a Toro Groundsmaster basically). Plus no one else would have anything like it, I can customize it just like I want. Whereas rebuilding the Scag, would mean having to buy a whole new large engine, messing with those nasty hydraulics, wiring and hoses messes, all new belts, idlers, tires, etc. rebuild pump and wheel motors, new brakes, new everything. Costly. Could have an OK used truck for alittle more than that. Plus, with this homemade rig, once I make money with it and get a truck, I can still take the deck off of it and rebuild the Scag later if I want or update it with new engine(s), bigger ones, hydrostatic tranny, etc. or replace it with something else.
I am thinking about it anyway. :confused:

LAWNGODFATHER
09-14-2002, 09:01 PM
Yup but I said you could have bought it, I bought it for $400, they were asking $650.

Well I will be thinking of you when I am playing on this running mower while you build frankenscagmark.

Scag48
09-15-2002, 02:39 AM
BushHogBoy-I don't think by putting 2 8 hp engines on there is going to solve your problems. Think about it, 2 engines, twice as much maintenance. You'd have to time them right, and you'd only have 16 hp. Don't quite understand. I think you should just put a 25 hp Kawi on there and call it good. I think you should just do what needs to be done and not try to avoid it. It will kick grass when it's done.

heybruck34
09-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Rebuild it like it was originally designed. I admire your creativity and desire but I think you'll have nothing but headaches. If you do it right you'll have an excellent mower for many years.

I rebuilt a Scag that was similar to yours. Nothing worked on it- the controls were rused stuck and every bearing was shot. 1300 bucks later my 48 looked just as good as a new one for 3000. I love it. I'm most proud that I rebuilt it.

Do your Scag as a winter project and just buy parts as you get the money. I didn't use any savings or other money- just bought parts as I had the money. Took me 3 months to get 90% done and then the last 300 was over this past summer.

Good luck and forget about the people bashing you for buying a burned out wreck. Best way to learn and get ahead.

FrankenScagMachines
09-15-2002, 04:39 PM
Scag48,
Two engines will not be a problem, timing is not an issue, you just have to get the rpm's the same at high throttle on each one before hooking them up (via belt and pulleys, little damage if one is slightly off). Also, I will be doing a few things to them (boring, maybe head milling alittle and turn up rpm's a couple hundred) so it will be more than 16hp. These are very reliable and simple engines, I can take it apart fix it and put it together with my eyes closed practically. I know most of the torque specs and gaps etc. by heart. I have rebuilt two other ones already. Not alot to go wrong with them. Also, you forget that since I will be using gear drive it's not gonna use as much juice as a hydro which are only 2/3 as effecient as a gear drive transaxle. So I won't need 25hp for it. I'm not trying to avoid doing the "right" thing. I'm just using what I have and learning things in the process. Did I mention it won't cost me much to build this one and I won't be doing anything to the deck so I can still use the deck on the Scag STHM later if I want to rebuild it.

Heybruck34, it will be very simple and reliable, not alot to go wrong. Please don't be offended by this, but one man's try at it may not be as good as mine. I will still have "an excellent mower for years" this way too. I might rebuild the Scag later on but I may not want to if this one works as good as it should.

I'm not necessarily stuck on making a mower but it's not sounding too bad. Plus you guys just make me wanna do it to prove you wrong ;)

Eric :)

dlandscaping
09-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Whereas rebuilding the Scag, would mean having to buy a whole new large engine, messing with those nasty hydraulics, wiring and hoses messes, all new belts, idlers, tires, etc. rebuild pump and wheel motors, new brakes, new everything. Costly. Could have an OK used truck for alittle more than that

Are you finally admitting you had a stupid idea and I was right that this mower will never get off the ground???

LGF i'm ROTFL

lawnkid
09-15-2002, 08:17 PM
I think this idea of making this other mower will be a mistake cause you don't know what it will turn out like cause there's never been a mower made like this and you would have wasted all your time on that when you could've put together a machine that might actually have a chance at working. If nothing else, fix the Scag and sell it for some profit. Go for the Scag. Forget the other one. Now that you've benn bragging so much about that Scag, do something about it. I want to see what ti looks like when complete.

FrankenScagMachines
09-15-2002, 10:23 PM
d', no I'm not admitting anything. I'm just thinking about all the possibilities.
Lawnkid, Even if I rebuilt the Scag, it would not be just like I want it. I would have to do a lot of modifications to it to get it "personalized" for me. BTW, here's what it would look like... Click here (http://scag.com/)

Flex-Deck
09-15-2002, 11:03 PM
bushhogboy - Why don't you just go to your banker - lay out a plan for him to see what you are going to do - then get a hydro WB - put the Flex-Deck on it and go make some money

Then you can buy a new truck. You keep talking about how busy you are - If that is the case, This is the solution.

Thanks, Brad - PS. I will not post a pic here as you have seen them all.

Scag48
09-15-2002, 11:51 PM
Exmark has a great plan that I jumped on going on right now. No payments and interest until March '03. If you pay it off before then, no interest is due, but if you don't, interest is 9.8, which was lower than the bank's 11 percent, plus I didn't have to pay a $50 docking fee.

marley
09-16-2002, 01:06 AM
BUSHHOG BOY, I TRULY ADMIRE YOUR ENTHUSIASEM. SOUNDS LIKE YOU WILL HAVE FUN ON THIS PROJECT. BUT I DO AGREE WITH THE FLEX DECK GUY AND SCAG 48. FIND THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE WAY TO GET A DEPENDABLE MOWER AND / OR NEW TRUCK, GO OUT AND MAKE A BUNCH OF MONEY AND THEN START ON YOUR PROJECT. PUT THE SCAG BACK TOGETHER THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE PUT BACK TOGETHER. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A FEW PROJECTS GOING(MUSCLE CARS), BUT DO NOT HAVE THE TIME OR MONEY BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO SAVE FOR A HOUSE. ALL I AM SAYING IS TO REALLY THINK ABOUT YOUR PRIORITIES. OH YEAH, AFTER ALL THE TIME THAT EVERY ONE HAS SPENT ON THIS THREAD AND YOUR SCAG, I REALLY DO HOPE YOU WILL GET IT OUT ON A LAWN SOME DAY. GOOD LUCK!!!

crawdad
09-16-2002, 07:04 AM
That's right, it's never been done, so you a dang fool to try.
crawdad
presently mowing with a 4' sythe, why change to new fangled gadgets :laugh:

kris
09-16-2002, 10:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing Crawdad ... that .. and the world is flat! People all thought most inventors were nuts.

Where would we be in this world without the great minds and desire like the young lad posting about this mower.

Give the kid a break ... if nothing else ... he is learning and keeping out of trouble. I would be willing to take any long term bets that Bushogboy will some day be very successful in his life.

odin
09-16-2002, 11:07 PM
kris

I agree i dont know a whole lot of 15 or 16 olds with bushhogboys get up and go and enthusiaum.

Ive enjoyed reading his posts and i admire any man who can lay downs stripes with that old toro the way he goes:D

Keep up haveing fun with your project if it dont work who gives a **** what people think ,p*** on what they think.
But id be willing to bet a few bucks it does work out good:D

FrankenScagMachines
09-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys. Its just an idea... Thinking for now I will work on that eXmark and use one of those 8hp B&S engines for that so that could just wipe out the homemade mower project, but the eXmark is a cheap fixer upper, I mean it wouldn't take much to get it rolling with some work. Would just try for small lawns with it. I like larger lawns but they are harder to get and harder to work into your scheduling if you don't have a large mower and also not as profitable if you don't have a larger mower. I think starting with the eXmark would be a better idea for now but I am still thinking about it.
thanks
Eric

marley
09-16-2002, 11:21 PM
Go ahead and tinker away. Not trying to bring anybody down. Just a little friendly advice.

LAWNGODFATHER
02-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Did you get rid of this?

1grnlwn
02-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Looks like a fixer upper. I heard that when something has been in a fire that paint won't stick. That could be old wives tale. Or could be from U. of Ohio. Make sure to replace all electornics because smoke is conductor of electricity. Good luck.

FrankenScagMachines
02-08-2003, 07:34 PM
LGF, Yes I traded it for that John Deere, remember? I have a feeling you are just doing this to tick me off and 1grnlawn jumped right in. congrats you succeeded.
maybe i will poke around in your closet alittle huh....