PDA

View Full Version : why does everyone hate toro sfs decks?

Butler Landscaping
05-29-2010, 07:47 PM
just wondering why everyone hates toro sfs decks

Frue
05-29-2010, 08:01 PM
cut with one and you will quickly see. They just through clumps!

yardguy28
05-29-2010, 10:07 PM
i don't know what an sfs deck is. all the toro's i know of currently have the turbo force decks and i love them.

my grandstand puts out a much better cut than my exmark tthp did.\

so i wouldn't say everyone if this sfs deck is one and the same with the turbo force deck.

in fact i've never had a toro mower period that i've been unhappy with.

coxslawncare
05-29-2010, 11:12 PM
I wish I had an sfs because it has to be better than the turbo force on my '09 36 inch walk. My old late 90's model toro cut beautiful and rarely missed anything. Now that I have the turbo force deck anything over 6-8 inches tall has to be cut twice. I have to run it in first gear to keep it from clumping if the grass is wet at all. I wish they would go back to whatever deck they were using back then. I love the T-bar controls but the purpose of the machine is to cut grass and it does everything well but cut grass

mdlwn1
05-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I wish I had an sfs because it has to be better than the turbo force on my '09 36 inch walk. My old late 90's model toro cut beautiful and rarely missed anything. Now that I have the turbo force deck anything over 6-8 inches tall has to be cut twice. I have to run it in first gear to keep it from clumping if the grass is wet at all. I wish they would go back to whatever deck they were using back then. I love the T-bar controls but the purpose of the machine is to cut grass and it does everything well but cut grass

Sooooo:rolleyes:...your cutting more than 8 inches of grass with a 36 WB and you think the mower is to blame?.........

coxslawncare
05-29-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm thinking that my 52 everride never had problems with it, my new 52 inch V-ride has not had any problems with it yet (only had a week and cut a rental property that was just under waist high last week with out missing hardly anything) and my old toro had no problems. I am not talking about cutting yards that are consistently 8 inches tall throughout the whole thing, I am talking about the random weeds that pop up and are 4 or 5 inches taller than the rest of the yard is what gets missed. It does not have the vacuum requires to suck the stuff back up that gets knocked down. That mower only gets used on gated back yards, it might get pulled of the trailer 2-3 times per week.

Butler Landscaping
05-30-2010, 12:19 AM
i won a z master on ebay really cheap thats why i was wondering i just found out it has a sfs deck...

The mayor
05-30-2010, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Ours cut decent, not great but decent. It doesn't cut the grass clippings into fine pieces like our other mowers do.

Butler Landscaping
05-30-2010, 01:34 AM
thanks for the info

N.TX
05-30-2010, 01:38 AM
I had an sfs deck and as long as you didnt run old blades they are fine. I dont think the blades overlap enough on the 62" leaving some trails of uncut grass if your blades got rounded off too much.

lawnboy dan
05-30-2010, 09:30 AM
the cut on my zmaster with the sfs deck sucks. i have to double cut most everything

LCCaptain
05-30-2010, 09:38 AM
When I first started doing lawn care with another company. They had all toros (I can't remember what kind). They cut so nice and the Z wouldn't miss a blade of grass no matter how fast you went. I recently bought a used turbo force 40" gear/fixed walk behing and I hate it. I've cut grass dry, wet and a little damp and the deck fills up with so much grass and throws clumps. Yesterday, I power washed underneath the deck and I didn't even know how the blades where moving after just one yard mowing with it. The grass was from the deck to the blade deep.

yardguy28
05-30-2010, 08:56 PM
When I first started doing lawn care with another company. They had all toros (I can't remember what kind). They cut so nice and the Z wouldn't miss a blade of grass no matter how fast you went. I recently bought a used turbo force 40" gear/fixed walk behing and I hate it. I've cut grass dry, wet and a little damp and the deck fills up with so much grass and throws clumps. Yesterday, I power washed underneath the deck and I didn't even know how the blades where moving after just one yard mowing with it. The grass was from the deck to the blade deep.

don't know what kind of grass your cutting or if your mower is set up with a mulch kit but i can tell you out of all toro's i've owned, none of them have ever had a single issue like you just described.

actually none of the mowers (all different brands) have ever ran into that situation.

out of everything i've used and demo'd i'd say hands down the toro turbo force deck has given one of the nicest cuts i've seen. and the deck is never very dirty after a days worth of mowing and even in wet grass very little to no clumps.

coxslawncare
05-30-2010, 11:05 PM
could it be a difference in the smaller decks vs the larger decks with the turbo force? 2 blades vs 3

DT Lawn Care
05-30-2010, 11:27 PM
LOL The SFS or as some people say the "Sucks for Sure" However I like my Proline 44" that has it except for the fact that it's so heavy that you can't lift it up. I didn't know about all the problems people have been having with the cut but mine has been fine. I use gator blades and it's been great.

Lbilawncare
05-31-2010, 01:35 AM
I had a 44" SFS Walk behind that i bought to replace my previous 44" (original deck) It didn't cut near as well as the old style deck and we hated it. We had it one year before it was stolen off of our trailer, Good riddance! I have a 40" Turbo force now and unless it is really wet it cuts great.

dougdm
05-31-2010, 08:55 PM
How would I know if I have an SFS Deck? I know its not a turbo force. Mine is just a flat front, with the metal folded back underneath. I have noticed on real wet and tall grass that the blades don't overlap like a few have said on here. Its a 52" 3 blade with dual side fuel tanks.