PDA

View Full Version : Walker Guys Chime In!

flatlander42
05-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Do you guys think that the 52" or 56" deck would handle this type of grass better than my 48" deck? I had to cut it twice to avoid stragglers. I don't want to go sooooo slow, so I just hit it twice fast.

And yeah, I know I only have 18hp.:weightlifter:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/tallgrass.jpg

flatlander42
05-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Does the evening crowd have anything to add?

Hometown
05-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Will the grass always be that long every mow. or does it just have to be knocked down now to get under controll?

B Gillespie
05-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Bigger deck takes more power. Are you maxed out with the 48?
Posted via Mobile Device

flatlander42
05-30-2010, 08:05 AM
That is a Cemetary that I mow. I hope it is not that tall every time, but this spring it has gotten a fair amount of rain.

I know that the bigger decks will take more power. I don't really want a bigger deck......I want that third blade and have to go bigger to get it. I have a few places with dense, thick grass that I am not happy with the performance either. Not so much the power, but how it clears the grass out of the deck.

Jason Rose
05-30-2010, 09:28 AM
I have the 52" belt drive discharge/mulch deck, and it does a poor job in straggly tall stuff like that. I've tried different blades and combinations without much improvement. On a manicured lawn it works great though.

It's a heavy deck and does take a suprising amount of power just to run, especially running the double stacked mulching blade setup. My 23hp MT has no troubles with it. I bought it used a couple years ago, fixed it and shined it up, and have hardly used it. I'd rather have a 48" discharge deck, assuming it would go through the same gates the 48" GHS deck will.

flatlander42
05-30-2010, 10:13 AM
I'd rather have a 48" discharge deck, assuming it would go through the same gates the 48" GHS deck will.

Thanks for the good info.

But as for the 48" discharge deck fitting where the 48" GHS deck goes.....not so much. My 48" navigator will go through my back yard's gate, but my discharge walker will not.

MadeintheShadeGardening
06-04-2010, 02:01 AM
I have a 54" sd deck that came on my 16hp walker. it ran ok and bogged down in tall stuff. I also had a 48 ghs on my 20hp mower, anyway I put the 54 on the 20 hp and it was like a whole nother mower. cut anything and quick... well everything except the water meter cover my guy hit and sploded the gearbox. anyway. i dunno, get a bigger mower and I'd go with a deck with a belt and not shaft drive after my last experience. sorry about rambling its late

7.3pstroke
06-17-2010, 11:15 AM
The 52" deck is belt driven and the 56" has synchronized gear boxes. I don't have the 56" I have the old 54" and the 52" belt drive. I would say the 56" deck will take a little less power to run as the gearboxes take less power to rotate. I like both but the 52" you can either mulch or side discharge. The 56" will be side discharge only. You can get away with 16hp for the 56" but not in that tall of grass. Either deck will work with 20hp or better.

flatlander42
06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
sooooo, I just mowed that cemetary again yesterday. Still growing like crazy. I am gonna talk them into letting me come back the week after next, until this rain stops/slows down.

Thanks for the input 7.3, but I have the B pictured with 18hp. And I never thought about the belt driven taking less power. It does make sense.

Prdtordude
06-20-2010, 02:58 PM
If you want to be able to mow faster try the 42" mulch deck on the Model B, I don't think you have enough power to pull the 48" deck IMO. I had a 20hp walker and didn't like the way it cut with the 48" deck. We currently have a 26hp efi walker with a 52" mulch dual blade set up, it will bog down a little in tall grass. We also have a 31hp efi walker with a 52" single blade mulcher and it will mow anything at full speed.:weightlifter:

brucec32
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
From my experience with other brands a mulch deck is not going to handle "tall stuff" better than a discharge, even if the deck is smaller.

The mulch deck would be a good choice if he's mowing at proper intervals. That grass in the photo is not a week's growth, even in the Amazon jungle.

This is why it is so important not to cave in and agree to mow at ridiculously long intervals unless you a) have the equipment for that, b) have space to put all those clippings on the lawn (here you'd just hose down monuments), and c) charge accordingly for the extra time and wear on your machines.

Common rookie mistake: Eager for new accounts and hating to turn away business when they'd otherwise be idle, they agree to anything. The problem with doing this is you lose 100% of them once you get busy and start wanting to change terms back to something reasonably profitable.

flatlander42
07-01-2010, 10:36 AM
OHhhh, it's still profitable...Trust me. I just mowed it the other day, mucho better. It had only been two weeks. I will try and keep that interval for a while. This is a rural cemetary with limited money. I heard that they only wanted to mow it 7 times this year.....and I have allready mowed it 4. Looks like they will spend more than they thought. Last year I think I mowed it 7-8 times, and had no problems it was sooooo dry.

and your right....I would never try and mulch that.