PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with this one

smokes
05-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Just got a phone call from a neighbor of a customer at a duplex I mow.I only mow one side of the duplex(my customers side).Earlier today I was there mowing and ran over an unburied coaxel cable that I didn't see cause the grass was covering it. Needless to say the neighbors are pissed saying I'm going to pay for any costs.What gets me is aren't they supposed to bury any cable or are they illegally taped in?Am I at fault here or am I worried sick for nothin?:confused::confused:

coxslawncare
05-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I've broken shallow coax cables when aerating before and the cable company always fixes it for free but it could be different in your area

StoneFaced
05-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Don't sweat it, and tell the neighbor to be happy that you aren't sending them a bill for damage to the mower. Call the cable company, tell them what happened, and tell them if they need to repair and mark their unburied line, so this doesn't happen again. It shouldn't cost you anything. They often times have independent contractors who do the bury. In my area, that can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of years. Often times it never gets buried, and then the grass just grows over it...nice, I know. When you hit a gas main or a phone main, then you can worry...don't ever worry about the ******ed cable company, for one wire...just call and say fix.

Hometown
05-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Cable company in my area does the same when it comes to the trenching, it gets subbed out to somebody and they get to it whenever. I did one complex for 3 months before the sub came and buried the thing it was a pia dealing with moving the thing all the time to mow around it. Call them and tell them to fix it.

topsites
05-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Here's the problem:

You hit the cable, the mower cut it, you knew about it...
But you never said a word to anyone about it.

I'm not trying to put you down, but one thing I have learned is ALWAYS tell on yourself!
Anytime something doesn't go quite right, TELL your customer!
If they're not home, call them, leave a message, or maybe write it on the bill if
you leave that on their door but TELL someone.
Granted I agree the pissed off neighbors can join the KMA club, but you HAVE to tell on yourself.

Guaranteed if you do that, it ain't half the trouble.

smokes
05-30-2010, 12:57 AM
I sure did.Right after it happened I spoke to my customer and she said she didn't know anything about the cable.So I left it at that, went home tried to get ahold of Charter cable and couldn't; seeing it's memorial weekend.Then a few hours later I get the phone call.

MS_SURVEYOR
05-30-2010, 03:24 AM
I had a nasty post typed out for the neighbor and Charter cable for you. But I guess I need to be a better Christan. Smokes, it wasn't your fault. Charter cable should have had that cable buried. Charter cable is at fault, causing the cable to be cut by you. And for that the neighbor has to do without cable. If the neighbor calls again, simple tell him the cable was exposed on top of the ground, not marked, and you are sorry Charter cable didn't have it buried, or marked. And that you tried to call Charter cable with no answer. Tell you are sorry, you are not at fault, and to please call Charter cable.

God Bless You. And have a good weekend. You did your best, and don't worry.

ms

MikeKle
05-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Was it cable company wire or an orange colored wire that looks like an extension cord? around here that orange colored wire is phone company line that they bury but will usually leave flags all over it. Ive never hit one, but have come across many of them, I just trim around it if I can. They are usually in newer subdivisions, but I have seen them in older neighborhoods too? Before I mow a new yard for the first time, I always check for this wire, as it would be so easy to miss and run over!

topsites
05-30-2010, 09:23 AM
I sure did.Right after it happened I spoke to my customer and she said she didn't know anything about the cable.So I left it at that, went home tried to get ahold of Charter cable and couldn't; seeing it's memorial weekend.Then a few hours later I get the phone call.

Oh...
Well...
It is now, if I'm not mistaken, the cable company's fault.
For not having buried the cable.

I had a nasty post typed out for the neighbor and Charter cable for you. But I guess I need to be a better Christan.

LOL I edited mine 'down' considerably as well :p

StoneFaced
05-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Though it may not seem like it...so did I!

dgw
05-30-2010, 04:22 PM
i was scraping the grass i killed off a small section for a garden for a customer

i cut the dish cable , it was no more than a 1/2 inch deep

i called them, they came out and fixed it the next day

no charge