PDA

View Full Version : Edger Blade Longevity

TFL
07-15-2002, 12:02 AM
I was wandering on average how long a stick edger blade should last. I have had ny Stick Edger for about 2 weeks and it is already wearing down alot. Is this normal or just due to my inexpierienc and knicking of the concrete.

Turf Ranger
07-15-2002, 12:15 AM
i replace mine about every week & 1/2, thats mowing 20 accounts... so depends on how much you work it.

Mike (MLC)
07-15-2002, 12:32 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but we go through edger blades about every other day. We will use a whole edger blade for one of my accounts. It's an apartment complex. Needless to say it has alot of sidewalks!:)

65hoss
07-15-2002, 07:31 AM
The single blades will go down fast. I was running them and they would need to be replaced about every other day. I switched to the star blade last year and its well worth the extra bucks. 1 star blade will last us about 4 +/- weeks depending on conditions. I'm on my 3rd one for the season right now.

TLS
07-15-2002, 12:00 PM
I was actually going to post about this subject this week.

I use an Echo stick edger which has the big 1" arbor hole in the center. I WAS using OEM Echo blades, then switched to star blades, then last year bought a few regular "cheapies" at my dealer. All of them so far were .095" thick. The star does last longer, partially because its physically "rounder" at a full 8" instead of OEM 7-11/16". The thing I didn't like about the star was I felt that it didn't "cut" the longer grasses/crabgrasses/weeds that overhang the sidewalks. I found the regular OEM style to work much better.

Now.....Those cheapies that I bought at my dealer last season finally started to disappear. And to be honest, I was only getting about a day out of them! One nick, and a chunk would come out of ONE side and really make the blade out of balance! I mean REALLY out of balance! Anyway If I babied one of them I could go maybe 2 days, but thats if I didnt hit anything.

Well....I ordered a bunch of new ones from my trusty MowMore catalog. They are called their "TOP QUALITY BLADE". They are .125" thick! Made in FRANCE :confused: Didnt think anything good came from FRANCE :dizzy: Anyway, the first one has been on there all last week and is barely showing any wear! I've hit it a few times, and no big chunks out of it either! I'm impressed beyond belief, they must be hardened or something, because it cant just be the increased thickness.

NOW......I'm afraid I bought TOO many !!! :eek:

TFL
07-15-2002, 02:47 PM
Thanks are there any stores or dealers that sell these star blades besides mail order. i would like to try one and it is cheaper to order bulk.

Bunton Guy
07-15-2002, 05:40 PM
On average during rapid growth season we go through like 4-5 a day we dont let them get down to nubs like some cheapoes around here. Now in the drought season its about 2 a week. Not even edging all yards rite now.

TFL
07-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Any one Know a store that i can buy these star blades.

wolfpacklawn
07-17-2002, 10:07 PM
TLS- You are right- Nothing good comes from France. It's really to bad that we didn't let Germany keep it after WWII. I'd watch out for those blades. They may self destruct at the least expected time.:p

TLS
07-17-2002, 10:14 PM
Actually, they are holding up really well. Much better than others EVER had.

TFL,

You can buy Star edger blades at any STAR EDGER BLADE STORE :D

Just about any mower shop that sells edgers will have them. Heck today at SEARS Hardware, they had some!

All the mail order catalog parts houses have them.

ipm
07-17-2002, 10:55 PM
It is all in the way you use the machine. I use to go through one blade a day on my route, and one of my employees uses the same blade for one week. Edging still looks good. I was amazed.

steve122
07-18-2002, 12:00 AM
We have 5 low income housing projects that we do, anywhere from 16 to 54 buildings in each, with miles of sidewalks to edge. Was going thru edger blades 3 and 4 per day, using red max blades that came with the edgers. One day I got to looking at the large pile of used mower blades I've got from our mowers and thought I'd try one of them. Bored the center hole out to 1", cut it to 9" in length and put it on. The square corners started to round off after the 1st 4 hours and it wanted to roll instead of cutting. Used the chop saw to cut 2 grooves into each end. Looks like it's got teeth. Makes it very aggressive in hard dirt and causes blade to wear evenly instead of rounding off. Now I have a machine shop drill holes for $5 each, cut blade to length and used for 2 days at a time. I like it better than any blade we bought and it gets rid of the pile of old blades (over 80 of them) that we had collected.