PDA

View Full Version : GM 1500 or 2500?

mowerbrad
05-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Okay...I've been doing alot of thinking over the last day and I think I will actually be going with a gas truck for my new one. But I just can't decide between a GM 1500 and a GM 2500. I will now be spending roughly $20k on the truck and going for a crew cab.

I've been doing some searching on the internet and I've come to the conclusion that the GM gas engines in these trucks are pretty good through 200,000 miles (with proper maintenance and care). I can find trucks with 50,000-80,000 miles pretty easily within my price range, and they're 2007's and 2008's. But I'm not sure if I should go with a 1500 or 2500.

My trailer doesn't have breaks on it, so having a 2500 would be nice for the larger brakes. It'd also be nice to have a 2500 for when I upgrade my trailer to an 18' open or enclosed. I'd like the truck to be able to do everything I need and then a little more. However, with the 2500 the down fall is the fuel mileage. I'd probably be looking at 14-15 highway and 10-13 city (depending on speed and driving habits).

With a 1500, it will be able to tow what I have now fine...braking may take longer though. It will also provide me with a smoother ride and better fuel economy, upwards of 20mpg on the highway. A 1500 would also be a more "nimble" truck, so parking in "tight" spots would be slightly easier. However, a 1500 doesn't leave me with much room to grow when I get a larger trailer and another mower on the trailer. I want to make sure that I don't reach the GCWR or come too close to it, the closer I come to the GCWR the more wear that is put on the truck.

My personal preferrence is a 2500, I like driving the bigger trucks...I think they have a better feel to them.

I just really don't want to step down to a 1/2 ton truck from my 3/4 ton and regret the decision. Nor do I want to get the 2500 and wish I got the 1500.

I need help!!!!

Evan528
05-30-2010, 12:22 AM
definitely a 3/4 ton. If you go with a 1/2 ton, chances are that you will regret it in a couple years and be back to square one looking for a new truck again.

Gravel Rat
05-30-2010, 03:42 AM
I wouldn't fool around with a half ton all they are is a daily driver with a pick up box you can't put any weight in them. If you do get a 3/4 ton you want one with a 8600lb or more gvw and the rear axle is a full floating not a semi floating axle.

mowerbrad
05-30-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd love to be able to get better fuel economy with the 2500, but I'm thinking all ways to do that would be pretty expensive. The only down side to the 2500 is the fuel economy, which will kill me since I will be on the highway 2-3 days a week this year.

Otherwise, I love everything about the 2500 over the 1500.

360ci
05-30-2010, 10:34 AM
I worked my 1990 C1500 to death. It had over 200K on it and towed like a banshee, and hauled about 1000+lbs of service tools in the back. It had a raised cap that I bought for it, and I put 1/2" plywood down over the bed floor. It had the 175hp 5.0L V8 (non Vortec) and gave me NO problems. Now, a lot has changed in twenty years of course but for what it was, it worked fine and I never felt the need to get a heavier truck.

As for breaking, keep in mind the 3/4 tons have larger breaks primarily because they weigh some 500+lbs more than a similar half ton model, and can carry more payload, so it has to be able to stop accordingly. It won't decrease breaking distance by anything significant if you tow without trailer brakes. The most you want to tow with any full size truck without trailer brakes is 3000lbs. Over that, and you'll be asking for problems no matter the weight rating of the truck you have.

I'd go for the 2500 as well. Fuel economy is higher, sure, but it's less to worry about in a year or two should you decide to upgrade trailer/equipment to heavier units. I'd get a 2500 as well mainly because if I decide to do plow work, I'll be able to. Those that plow with a 1/2 ton, are nuts in my book. Even for smaller, so called "light commercial" applications, they're nuts to use a 1/2 ton and stay withing GAWR.

I might pick up a new 2011 Sierra with the gas engine, crew cab short box 4x4 guise if the price is right when they debut the new models. If not, I'll bite the bullet a bit and get a 2011 Ram diesel instead. I'm cheap don't you know.

Moto52
05-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Just get the diesel truck, specially if you have in mind of getting an enclosed trailer..:):):)

TLS
05-30-2010, 06:52 PM
A 6 liter in a 1500 doesn't get much better fuel economy than a 6 liter in a 2500/3500 srw. You'll need the weight capacity in this business. Skimp on other things, not your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravel Rat
05-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Most half ton trucks use the same size wheels as a 3/4 ton so your not gaining much in fuel in fuel economy. You want that little sticker that is on the door that says the gvw and a legal payload.

Your right foot is the make or break it in the fuel mileage.

Triple G Lawn and Snow
05-30-2010, 09:42 PM
I'd have to say go with the 2500HD, I have a half ton and every day I ask myself why didn't go bigger.

nepatsfan
05-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Ford F250.:waving:

DuallyVette
05-30-2010, 10:03 PM
I'd only buy a 1/2 ton if it was for errand running only. 2500HD is for work...minumum.

mowerbrad
05-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't want to be disappointed when I see my fuel economy and the amount of money I'd be spending on gas. I figure that I could see a $500+/- difference in fuel costs per year between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (thats using 17mpg average for a 1/2 ton and 13mpg average for a 3/4 ton, $3/gallon and traveling 10,000 miles each year).

That $500 would equate to an extra almost $10 in fuel each week. When I break it down to the per week cost, it doesn't look that bad...but through the course of a year, $500 adds up and could definately be used toward something else.

For example, over the past 7 days I have driven 375 miles on my current truck. Now if I drove a 1/2 ton averaging 17 mpg, I'd use 22 gallons. And at $2.86 a gallon, I'd spend $62.92. Now if I drove a 3/4 ton averaging 13 mpg, I'd use 29 gallons. And at the same $2.86 a gallon, I'd spend $82.94. So that would cost me about $20 more to fill up my tank this week if I drove a 2500 gas over a 1500 gas.

Being on the highway 2-3 days per week makes me fairly concerned with fuel economy.

rcslawncare
05-30-2010, 11:28 PM
I drive alot, and the 2500 HD would be the way to go. At $500 a year in added cost for fuel, the maintenance of wearable parts will be less, and having a more capable truck will be a good idea, especially with the enclosed. I have no regrets going with the 2500.

ZTR_Diesel
05-31-2010, 01:56 AM
mowerbrad...

Seems you're almost over-thinking this decision. But it sure beats buying on impulse.

May i suggest that you go and drive each one extensivley...not a 15 minuite test drive. Ask if you could use it for a day, hitch up your trailer and go. It's the only way you'll know if it will work for you.

I would ask you to consider if you could do with a regular cab...lighter weight, much better load carrying capacity, and maybe a little better mileage.

DuallyVette
05-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Just buy a Prius for the road trips, and the 2500 for work.

trook
05-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Go ahead and get the diesel. It may cost more up front, but it will get about 20mpg on the highway, last much longer and pull MUCH better.

mowerbrad
05-31-2010, 10:58 AM
I drive alot, and the 2500 HD would be the way to go. At $500 a year in added cost for fuel, the maintenance of wearable parts will be less, and having a more capable truck will be a good idea, especially with the enclosed. I have no regrets going with the 2500.

I was kind of thinking the same thing...with a 2500 I would most likely have less parts worn down and thus not have to spend as much money on repairs. Were if I had a 1500 I would likely need to have things replaced more often. So the per year cost of each truck could likely be the same between repairs and fuel.

mowerbrad...

Seems you're almost over-thinking this decision. But it sure beats buying on impulse.

May i suggest that you go and drive each one extensivley...not a 15 minuite test drive. Ask if you could use it for a day, hitch up your trailer and go. It's the only way you'll know if it will work for you.

I would ask you to consider if you could do with a regular cab...lighter weight, much better load carrying capacity, and maybe a little better mileage.

I am probably "over-thinking" this, but I'd rather over-think this and be happy when I buy a truck than not think so much and be unhappy when I get a truck.

I still have to go out and test drive each one, which I do plan on doing before I buy of course. I doubt that I will be able to use it for a day, but I usually take it for a good drive....putting it on the highway, running through all the gears, in town driving, etc.

The whole thing with the regular cab, I can't do. I have a regular cab now and I am not so happy with it. I would prefer to have a crew cab but I would settle for an extended cab if I have to. I mainly would like a crew cab for the ability to carry people but also for the interior space. For example, during the summer especially, when I am with friends, I am unable to drive since I have the regular cab. With a crew cab I would finally be able to drive, which I would prefer over some of my friends.

This truck will be both a personal truck and a work truck. It will tow Wednesday and Thursday and occasionally Saterday. Then Tuesdays and Fridays it will be on the highway for my 45 minute commute to paramedic school. It could also be on the highway other days as well, it just depends on my schedule.

Just buy a Prius for the road trips, and the 2500 for work.

I have actually considered buying a smaller car for just driving that would get good fuel economy and then having a 2500 just for working. But, I don't want to pay for insurance on 2 cars and I think in the end it would be more expensive to have the 2 cars instead of just the 1 truck.

Go ahead and get the diesel. It may cost more up front, but it will get about 20mpg on the highway, last much longer and pull MUCH better.

I still would love to get a duramax, but I don't like the fact that with diesels the repair costs are much higher than with gas trucks. Sure I'd be getting great fuel economy and it would tow awesomely, but when it breaks down I will be spending much more to get it fixed than if it were a gas truck.

Spark plugs are cheaper to replace than glow plugs.

But I still love diesels.

TLS
05-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Buy a car NOW. For everyday use. Then in a few years when your current truck NEEDS replacing, buy a new truck. Both your car AND truck will last longer. Plus you can deduct 100% of the truck for business. I've been dual vehicle-ing it for quite a few years now, and would never go back.
Posted via Mobile Device

ZTR_Diesel
05-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Buy a car NOW. For everyday use. Then in a few years when your current truck NEEDS replacing, buy a new truck. Both your car AND truck will last longer. Plus you can deduct 100% of the truck for business. I've been dual vehicle-ing it for quite a few years now, and would never go back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly my thoughts!

I have a 2000 Accord 5-spd I purchased from the original owner with all recipts, books, etc. It had 136k on it when I bought it three years ago for $6200. Now that same car has 213k on it, I've put a timing belt & water pump on it, front & rear brakes, and a radiator. That's all. Still worth around $3k in this area with no rust and no accidents. It's about $490/year for insurance, and I have gotten in between 26 mpg in town to 36 mpg on the highway.

It's saved a lot of miles on the truck, is much easier to drive and less expensive than the truck, and allows me to carry passangers, which the truck really isn't good for.

This may be a good option for you; just save your truck for work. Just my $.02.

Darryl G
05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
I need a truck that will tow 10K and handle a big plow so it was the 2500HD for me. When it comes to a work truck, you almost have to just throw fuel economy out of the equation.

Evan528
05-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Ditto...... get something FUN for your commuting and personal use. Let face it... trucks are cumbersome and not the best for a personal vehicle . keep the truck for work.....save up and buyer a newer diesel when the money is available and you can justify it.

Its very nice getting into a nice clean car after work to go out to dinner or out for the night.

mowerbrad
05-31-2010, 03:02 PM
I really would like to just get a car for my personal use and make the truck just a work truck (except in the winter when the 4x4 is nice). But I'd rather not be paying for insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs on 2 vehicles.

My brother has a 1997 toyota camry, nice car too, so I can somewhat figure out what my costs would be for a similar car from that. In that car, highway fuel economy is somewhere around 28+/- mpg (its a V6), I figure average mileage would be 24mpg. If I were to drive a similar car 6000 miles each year I would spend $750 in fuel (at $3/gallon). Through the course of the year maintenance and repairs total $300-$500 max (so figure $400 average each year). The state of Michigan has some of the highest insurance rates throughout the country (average rates) so I think the insurance for my brother's car is about $700/year (not totally sure but that is about what it is). With a similar vehicle I could expect to pay $1850 per year on average.

Now if I kept my current truck as a work truck and my winter vehicle....I'd probably average 12mpg with this vehicle just towing during the week and driving in the winter. If I drove this vehicle 5000 miles each year, I would spend $1250 in fuel (at $3/gallon). Repairs on my truck, last year I spent over $5000 in repairs and maintenance and the previous year I spend almost $3000. So figure that I spend $2000 each year on maintenance and repairs average. Insurance is also expensive for this truck, so figure $850. So in total I could expect to pay $4100 average.

So if I kept my current truck and bought a similar car to the toyota camry, I could expect to pay around $5950/year on fuel, insurance, maintenance and repairs.

----------------------------

Now if I just buy one truck to use as both a personal truck and work truck....

If I buy the 2500HD gas, average 13mpg (between towing, city and highway) and travel 11,000 miles (using the 6k and 5k mentioned previously) each year, I would spend $2500 on fuel (at $3/gallon). Lets say that maintenance and repairs would cost me $1000 each year and insurance would be $850/year. So in total I would spend $4350/year on this truck.
---------------
If I buy the 2500HD diesel that I really want....I could average 17mpg, travel 11,000 miles which would make me spend $1950 (at $3/gallon for diesel) each year. Repairs would be a little more expensive (say 50% more than a gas truck) which would make my repairs cost me $1500/year (using the $1000 mentioned above). And insurance would be the same $850. This truck would cost me $4300 each year.
---------------
Now if I get the 1500 that is an option I could average 17mpg, travel 11,000 miles and would cost me $1950 (at $3/gallon) each year. Lets say repairs would be an extra 30% versus a 2500 gas truck (due to the wear from towing and being a smaller truck), so repairs/maintenance would cost me $1300 each year. And since it is a slightly smaller truck insurance would be a little bit cheaper at $800 each year. So a 1500 truck would cost me $4050 each year.

streetscrapin16
05-31-2010, 03:14 PM
go for the 3/4 ton. you will regret it if you don't.

Gravel Rat
05-31-2010, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't be overly concerned about fuel mileage, if your not making enough money to cover the cost of fuel then you need to raise your rates or travel less.

You buy a truck for its purpose not fuel mileage as for a diesel truck getting good fuel mileage not anymore most people here can't caculate the fuel mileage correctly.

If you bought a 2500HD with the 6.0 you wouldn't know what to do with all the power. The 6.5 Turdo diesel is a gutless pig I would never own one they are high maintenance and no power.

Gas pick ups are the way to go now cheap and easy to fix the newer diesel trucks take a rocket scientist to fix.

DuallyVette
05-31-2010, 08:40 PM
All those estimates on repairs are just guesses. You might as well list truck parts on a dart board and get youurself a blindfold. I like the idea of a seperate vehicle for personal & business use. I have 3 trucks and a car & a motorcycle. They're all getting some age on them, but they all have low mileage. One dually stays hooked up to the trailer all the time. I don't unhook it to go see a customer, or run an errand..just drive something else. You'd save all that time cleaning your truck extra good for that hot date. Screw the cost...your supposed to make a profit...give your customers the opportunity to pay a fair price for the services that they require.

nepatsfan
05-31-2010, 08:50 PM
To me this is sort of the poster child for penny wise and pound foolish.

Milwaukee
05-31-2010, 08:56 PM
I been in this before.

I regret make decision buy geo tracker for save gas. It wasn't ever worth. 25-30 Mpg vs my F250 15-18 mpg.

I pick F250. It can do anything I need.

You say lot people get 13 mpg out GM 2500 HD? They are dumber who floor on gas. Race and hurried on time. My F250 with V8 I get 18 on hwy because I drive like granny. No quick accelerator.

Evan528
05-31-2010, 10:02 PM
I think you are really just over complicating this whole situation. If you really insist on having a truck you can use for work and pleasure then go find yourself a late model 3/4 ton and buy it. There is no perfect truck and I assure you that there will be things about any truck you own that you will not like...... I currently own both a dodge ram and a ford f250. Both serve there purpose well but there are also things I dont like about them..... its not the end of the world.

My Porsche Cayman S on the other hand...... that car is perfect. :D

mowerbrad
05-31-2010, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't be overly concerned about fuel mileage, if your not making enough money to cover the cost of fuel then you need to raise your rates or travel less.

You buy a truck for its purpose not fuel mileage as for a diesel truck getting good fuel mileage not anymore most people here can't caculate the fuel mileage correctly.

If you bought a 2500HD with the 6.0 you wouldn't know what to do with all the power. The 6.5 Turdo diesel is a gutless pig I would never own one they are high maintenance and no power.

Gas pick ups are the way to go now cheap and easy to fix the newer diesel trucks take a rocket scientist to fix.

I was towing this weekend with my 6.5 and decided I would time how long it would take me to get to 60mph. I turned onto the road I was going to be going down, I was at 20mph when I started to time myself. It took me 20 seconds to get to 60mph from 20mph (and that was me really getting into it). I was just towing a 14ft trailer and the new JD 925.

All those estimates on repairs are just guesses. You might as well list truck parts on a dart board and get youurself a blindfold. I like the idea of a seperate vehicle for personal & business use. I have 3 trucks and a car & a motorcycle. They're all getting some age on them, but they all have low mileage. One dually stays hooked up to the trailer all the time. I don't unhook it to go see a customer, or run an errand..just drive something else. You'd save all that time cleaning your truck extra good for that hot date. Screw the cost...your supposed to make a profit...give your customers the opportunity to pay a fair price for the services that they require.

I know all my repair costs were guesses. There could be some years that all I have to do is change the oil but there could also be years where I have to spend $2000. The way I look at it is one year I could spend $350, the next year $750, then $500, then $1500, then $950, then $400, etc. I'd just rather over estimate the costs than under estimate.

To me this is sort of the poster child for penny wise and pound foolish.

You are probably right. I actually am quite cheap except when it comes to big purchases. If I make a big purchase (ie, truck, mower, etc) I'd prefer to do it right the first time. I can either spend $5000 on an OK truck and probably have a little more break downs or I could spend $18000 and get a nicer/newer truck and probably have less break downs as well.

I been in this before.

I regret make decision buy geo tracker for save gas. It wasn't ever worth. 25-30 Mpg vs my F250 15-18 mpg.

I pick F250. It can do anything I need.

You say lot people get 13 mpg out GM 2500 HD? They are dumber who floor on gas. Race and hurried on time. My F250 with V8 I get 18 on hwy because I drive like granny. No quick accelerator.

The people that I have actually talked to say they have been averaging 13-14mpg. I just talked with one of the local Deputy Fire Chief's who drives a 2006 Chevy 2500HD and he said he has been averaging 13mpg and may get upto 15 maybe 16mpg on the highway.

I think you are really just over complicating this whole situation. If you really insist on having a truck you can use for work and pleasure then go find yourself a late model 3/4 ton and buy it. There is no perfect truck and I assure you that there will be things about any truck you own that you will not like...... I currently own both a dodge ram and a ford f250. Both serve there purpose well but there are also things I dont like about them..... its not the end of the world.

My Porsche Cayman S on the other hand...... that car is perfect. :D

If I had unlimited funds, I could surely find myself a "perfect" truck, but since I don't I realize that I will have to settle for a truck that isn't totally perfect. But I will try my hardest to find a truck as close to perfect for me as possible. And since I want to keep this truck for the next 7-10 years, I want to be very happy with it, especially since I will be driving it everyday.

Milwaukee
05-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Interested They should get higher than that.

My buddy have 04 F250 ext cab with short bed. 5.4L V8 he get 16-17 mpg but he don't drive like race since he have no job.

My friend used to have 01 F250 5.4L he get 6-9 mpg on his aggravated drive way.

If you were real worry about gas.

Find 90's F250 or F350 with 6 cylinder inline or 4.9L they get you great mpg and power to tow.

Darryl G
05-31-2010, 11:57 PM
The mileage is so bad on my 2500HD that I don't even check it. I really don't want to know but it's hardly ever on the highway and hardly ever not towing or hauling or both. I really wouldn't want any less truck for landscaping and plowing though so I just put gas in it when it needs it.

mowerbrad
05-31-2010, 11:58 PM
Would that 5.4L engine you are talking about be similar to the Chevy Vortec 5.3L in alot of the 1500's?

I know the guys I talked with have 6.0's in their trucks and they are extended cab trucks. 13-14mpg seemed to be the average among the guys. I think 16 was the usual for highway and 12 or so around town.

nepatsfan
06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Buy the truck that best suits your needs and forget about mileage. If things are that tight, get out of the business and buy a car. Its not like you are talking about the difference between a prius and an excursion. 1500 vs 2500 both with v8. Buy the 3/4 ton so you have the appropriate truck to suit your needs. What happens when you need a load of stone, or loam in the back. what if you need to tow a machine like a bobcat or a mini. Do you really want to buy a 1500 to save a couple mpg on gas. How long have you been looking at trucks for...just go out and buy one already. The other thing is what if you want to put a slide in dump in. You dont want to do that in a 1500

TLS
06-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Maybe the newer (mines an '04) 2500HD's get better mileage with the 6L90 trans?

But I'm with Darryl, I don't bother checking mileage. I do know I'm in the single digits (7-9), but I'm always towing, always hauling, or always plowing with it.

Your letting mileage dictate your purchase.....wrong way to go. Make a little more money (work harder/charge more) and just deal with it.

mowerbrad
06-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I can afford the fuel for the 2500, it will actually get similar mileage to my 6.5 diesel now. Right now I'm averaging 14mpg during the summer and 13mpg during the winter, so it should be pretty similar to a 2500 gas truck.

I've been looking for a truck since mid-January, so going on 5 months. I am not the type of person who can just go out and buy a truck, I have to find out everything about that truck before, I'm a little OCD when it comes to that stuff.

I don't want to let the fuel economy totally dictate my purchase but it is one thing that I do want to look into and be aware of. I may be a little overly concerned with this but I guess I'd rather not be shocked by how often I have to fill up.

TLS
06-01-2010, 08:57 AM
If your only getting 13-14 w/ your 6.5 TD, your NEVER going to see close to that with a 6.0 gas. The extra overdrive and extra low 1st in the newer 6L90 is a good match for the 6.0, but your not going to see those #'s out of it if thats all your seeing with the diesel.

WH401
06-02-2010, 07:54 AM
If your looking for a truck that will pull what you want, last a large number of years before you have to buy again, and can be a pleasure truck on the weekend, with decent fuel mileage, than I think your only option is a diesel 3/4-ton. Yes, repairs, if they are needed, will be more with any diesel, but that's just the price we pay.

If repairs are your downfall, then I would stick to non-LB7 Duramax's, (because of the injector issues), any 7.3 Powerstroke between 00 - 03, don't touch a 6.0 Powerstroke if you hate repairs, and take a look at any 5.9 Cummins Dodge, there really haven't been bad years of that truck, and I'm not just saying that because I own two. I own a 01' 7.3 t0o and it's been a great engine, and I wouldn't mind owning a 6.6 Duramax either, (post LB7), because it's a proven engine.

mowerbrad
06-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I would really like to see myself get a duramax diesel, LLY generation actually. But they are very hard to find at a decent price with lower miles. Most of the ones for $20k have 150,000 miles on them or more. Very few have near 100,000 miles.

I have only found one near me, it has 131,000 miles and is a 2004 GMC LLY for $19,988, its a crew cab and everything I want. I was really hoping for something with closer to 100k on it but, maybe this is the better way to go.

buttaluv
06-02-2010, 11:10 AM
that's alot of money for alot of miles...to me it doesn't make sense to spend that much on a diesel to pull around a couple thousand lbs of mowers or fert.....if I was pulling 18,000 lbs around on a regular basis, maybe! again, that is MY OPINION!!

stik208
06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I always get a kick out of guys looking for good fuel economy in a work truck. It is a truck the milage is going to be terrible be it a Colorado like I have, 1500, 2500 or 3500. In your situation buy a 2500 and don't be worried about the 131k on the Dmax it is just getting broken in.

All_Toro_4ME
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm just throwing this out there for whatever it's worth mowerbrad, but have you researched or looked into getting the vehicle chipped? (2500) Many who have tried it claim mileage in the 30's. I've read about it on different car forums etc, but there's a ton I dont know about it. It will void the warranty though if you buy new. Just something to think about.

Moto52
06-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I would really like to see myself get a duramax diesel, LLY generation actually. But they are very hard to find at a decent price with lower miles. Most of the ones for $20k have 150,000 miles on them or more. Very few have near 100,000 miles.

I have only found one near me, it has 131,000 miles and is a 2004 GMC LLY for $19,988, its a crew cab and everything I want. I was really hoping for something with closer to 100k on it but, maybe this is the better way to go.

just get the diesel and you'll be happy, i think you said before you only drive 10,000k a year so even 150k i wouldn't be to worried about that. biggest thing is some how trying to find out if it was maintained well with good oil changes and stuff. i've heard of some duramaxs with 300k with original injectors.

STIHL GUY
06-02-2010, 10:44 PM
i just bought an 05 2500HD and im glad i didnt buy a smaller truck

mowerbrad
06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm just throwing this out there for whatever it's worth mowerbrad, but have you researched or looked into getting the vehicle chipped? (2500) Many who have tried it claim mileage in the 30's. I've read about it on different car forums etc, but there's a ton I dont know about it. It will void the warranty though if you buy new. Just something to think about.

I have done a little thinking about tuning but I really haven't decided how much good that will do for me. I know if it is just a mild tune it will just firm the shifts up a bit and I really won't notice too much of a difference in performance, not sure about MPG's on a mild tune though. If it is too much of a tune, then I will start to get into problems.

I don't know much about tunes though, so I can't be sure what one will do for the truck exactly.

TLS
06-03-2010, 07:00 AM
The 6.5's respond well to a tune. My Dad had a 300hp 6.5 in his '95 Suburban.

Why do you feel you need to replace your '98??? Only because of the regular cab?

buttaluv
06-03-2010, 08:32 AM
The 6.5's respond well to a tune. My Dad had a 300hp 6.5 in his '95 Suburban.

Why do you feel you need to replace your '98??? Only because of the regular cab?

He's right...the cheapest route is the truck you already have....

mowerbrad
06-03-2010, 08:52 AM
I want to replace my 6.5 because of the reliability issues I've been having with it and the amount of money it has cost me to keep. Last year alone I spent $5000 on repairs (not maintenance), the year before that I spent another almost $3000. It seems like this truck breaks down at least twice a year. I don't see the sense in spending uber amounts of money to keep this truck running. In 2 years, I spent $8000 on a truck that is maybe worth $6000. To me, it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on the truck. For me to think of what I have spent on this truck over the last 4.5 years I've owned it, it is beyond me why I spent so much.

Obviously, the regular cab it has isn't my favorite. I have very little interior space, so when I throw my fire fighting gear in the truck, it turns into a single passenger vehicle. I would much rather be able to carry one or two people without having to remove my fire gear from my truck. It will make it more difficult when I have to respond to calls, especially if I had to leave my gear at home.

So between the amount of money I'm putting into my truck and me needing a larger cab, I really feel as though a new truck would be best and not keeping my current truck.

Gravel Rat
06-03-2010, 02:36 PM
The 6.5 is a ticking time bomb the crank shafts in 6.5 are known to snap in half. It is time to get rid of the 6.5 before something internal lets go and punches a window into the engine block.

ZTR_Diesel
06-03-2010, 03:45 PM
mowerbrad,

Back to a subject talked about earlier...a car. Perhaps you have spent quite a bit maintaining your truck over the past few years. I've spend around $6000 on my truck in nine years of ownership; not too bad since it was not much more than that number when I bought it nine years ago. Plus depreciation levels it out to around 4000 in value now.

I have always found it practical to have a second, inexpensive vehicle (car) that is a lot cheaper to drive when I'm not actually using the truck for what it was intended for. You can put a lot more in there (especially passengers) and it's quite a bit better to drive around. Plus, if you have a car that gets around 30mpg, you may find yourself a lot more open to a weekend road trip with friends, etc.

I bought a well-maintained older honda; it's not so important what it is, just if it fits your needs, is simple and cheap to keep up, and insurance isn't expensive. I pay $240 every 6 months on insurance (full-coverage), would trust it to drive anywhere, anytime, and "I have 213k on it now. 85% of my driving is with this car.

You don't need to spend $20k on a truck just to have interior space. Plus the newer, much more expensive truck will depreciate more rapidly than a car that you buy for 6-8k. You can find lots of good used cars for this price - carfax them, look for maintenance records, and have a mechanic look it over prior to purchase.

I don't count every nickle & dime---life is way too short for that. But I avoid debt and prefer to drive simple, inexpensive vehicles, and trust that they will take me where I need to go, when I need to get there. I'm also a AAA member, just in case something happens.

05 superduty
06-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I would go for an f-250 or f-350. They're a little more than the GM (government motors) but you'll be glad you did in the long run. I got rid of my silverado and bought nothing but fords since.

360ci
06-03-2010, 08:57 PM
The 6.5's are a mixed bag. I know one company that has over a million kms (600K miles) on an older 6.5L, but it has no power and smokes like a banchee but it just doesn't want to die. Another Savanna passenger diesel with the 6.5L has been rebuilt once and replaced 80K after that. It would've been better to go gas by the time you factor in the repair bills for the passenger van. The cargo van with over 1mil kms however has paid for itself ten fold. It's regularly maintained with fleet maintenance, which isn't saying much at the best of times - as it's always on the road it would go over 1-2K every oil change!

If you go F series and want a diesel, find an older 7.3L in good condition and it should serve you well. GM 6.6 isn't that much far off in repairs over the old 6.5 unit. The only 'real' diesel to get in my book is the I6 Cummins of any year. Fuel mileage is similar to the V8's but the I6 design saves a ton on maintenance. Only one cylinder head versus two is a good enough selling point for most folks.

Ford's are definite work horses for HEAVY work, but for limited loads I'd get either the GM or Dodge. GM for gas engine and Dodge for diesel!