PDA

View Full Version : Will we Quick owners get more info?

lawnsaspire
05-30-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't believe the Redhawk deck is necessarily better AFAIK although I have never owned one. Also, the Quick deck is much maligned and honestly, BOP will likely be talking soon about a simple improvement that may eliminate the issues people have complained about related to the Quick 36. They told me they have a solution to address most all the complaints (I'll let them release their information) but you should call them and talk to them if you want to hear about it directly from them.

Again, come check out my Quick 36" if you want.

Regards,

Rich

Who thinks Gary Partridge should come on here and tell us about these proposed changes, and how they will help those of us who already purchased the current deck design? Show of hands: rolleyes:

Richard Martin
05-30-2010, 05:47 AM
If he has any sense he won't say a word. And he would also find out who the big mouth is at the factory that keeps hinting at anything and tell them to shut up. Companies much bigger than BOP have tried to fix broken decks and failed. Hustler in the early 2000's. Dixie Chopper and their famed Silver Deck. And most recently Exmark and their Triton deck. All of these companies released fixes for their decks but none of them succeeded at it. And they all have large engineering departments.

MarcSmith
05-30-2010, 08:46 AM
you could always go to your dealer and complain........;)

topsites
05-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Look, I don't mean to come down on folks or to be rude or anything of that sort
but it has always been my opinion that out of all the mowers out there, the Quick
is simply the best of the cheap, but in the end it's still a cheap mower and that
could be a part of it.

However...
As was pointed out, evidently some of the more expensive machines experience these problems as well.

So it's just how it is, maybe you can find better but probably not, I guess.

On another note, I believe what you are experiencing is more commonly referred to as clumping,
all mowers do it in tall / thick grass, all of them, there do exist ways and means in which to
relieve this issue to certain degrees but these don't fall on the manufacturer, instead the
responsibility falls on the owner so perhaps start looking into that?

Peace

brucec32
05-30-2010, 12:38 PM
From reading posts about these mowers it strikes me that BOP is a good company, but from the start I was concerned that the massive engineering resources to test the machines (especially air flow and the decks) extensively in all environments, real world, computer, and factory, probably did not exist. Maybe that would have prevented the need for a fix, maybe not. Part of having deep pockets like a bigger company is being able to sit on a new design for a year or so and tweak it, rather than needing to get cash flowing in by selling them asap.

But the most disturbing aspect of all this is that many new owners did other lawnsite members a big disservice by rushing out to praise the mowers w/o also pointing out flaws. Best case, in their eyes, they bought it, so it must be perfect. Or perhaps in some cases the type of person who buys such an inexpensive machine is new to this and lacks a lot of experience using mowers. He may not know what to look for in terms of flaws. Or, worst case, some might have been shills or had some sort of personal or other incentives to talk it up.

I was surprised at how many 100% positive "reviews" I was reading a couple years back. Having used several different designs over the years, I knew even my favorite designs always had some sort of flaws you could easily list. That is just part of the compromises inherent in mower design. So ironically the glowing tone and lack of almost any early negative feedback made me more hesitant to buy one, not less.

So, the real culprits in all this might be some of those who rushed out to sing its praises w/o mentioning that they had minimal commercial mowing experience and abilty to properly look for flaws, or if they had experience, they neglected to list those flaws out of ego issues ("I am perfect, I would never buy a machine that wasn't the best"), or that they hadn't really used it in all conditions.

I have been doing this a while. I've realized that some machines are good in some conditions, worse in others. Some cut nicely but have other issues. Hill holding, weight, comfort, reliability, etc are all important. But out of 4 large mowers I own, only one really cuts great in all conditions. So the odds of a company, right out of the gate, delivering that, plus low cost, was going to be a long shot.

PS. Topsites makes a good point. Clumping will happen with some types of grass and some conditions. Be sure you are getting feedback from someone who knows that clumping does happen, not just someone who saw clumps and declared the BOP mowers bad because of that. It could be the mower, it might just be the conditions.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Deck fix or no deck fix, for what I pd for my Quick Ninja, it has made me a bunch of money over the past several years regardless. Its cut is BETTER than that of my Z400 in std non-soaking wet conditions. If I have a lawn I want to do up nice, the Quick comes off the trailer not the Z.

That said, if new Quick releases do include a modified deck, I would definitely look at selling mine local and acquiring a new one that can handle dewy grass just a wee bit better.

MarcSmith
05-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Bruce you make a good point, and often people would ask about BOP and it pretty amazing that it gets all the good reviews, but you seem to see more BOPs for sale in the classified than any other machine...there has to be a reason...

topsites
05-30-2010, 01:20 PM
But the most disturbing aspect of all this is that many new owners did other lawnsite members a big disservice by rushing out to praise the mowers w/o also pointing out flaws.

Maybe so but at the same rate a lot of the guys were simply looking for a mower
that wouldn't cost a fortune, first starting out it's not such a good idea to spend
a lot of money anyhow so in that sense the Q36 is the perfect choice.

Does that mean it does everything perfect, no but then neither does my Toro, that is,
which machine would you rather drop in the cement culvert, the $2000 Q or the $4g Toro,
assuming both belong to you, which repair bill do you want to face?

So for a beginner, to learn how these machines act and react, you need to buy either a used machine
or an inexpensive new one, unless you feel like dealing with damages to a 4-5-6000 dollar machine,
the fact is we make the most mistakes when we are new in the business so my attitude always has
been, let the new guys make these mistakes with a lower end machine.

The reason I mentioned the cheapness is because it is inexpensive, and it is built that way as well,
it won't last as long as a higher dollar machine but then the price difference makes up for that,
in the end we add in the mistakes and one should actually come out ahead because it's not that
it's a bad mower but I do believe it will not measure up to higher priced models.

Insofar as technology, out of all the cheap garbage out there the Q does actually measure up in ways,
meaning that the machine should get a newcomer through the first years whereas a lot of the other
inexpensive mowers won't last the season, you see...

Kind of like a Briggs vs. a Kohler...

RDA
05-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Geez, I should have never said anything as I knew no one would have any patience about it, would start complaining or make ridiculous assumptions.

Regards,

Rich

MesaLawn
05-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Who thinks Gary Partridge should come on here and tell us about these proposed changes, and how they will help those of us who already purchased the current deck design? Show of hands: rolleyes:

As a Quick 36 Ninja owner, I'd really love to hear about a mod that would help reduce clumping under the deck. Wonder if it will it be a kit you get from them, or parts you can make up yourself? I'd appreciate any recommendations, but I'm not going to hold my breath...

dishboy
05-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Put a box out front of the blades out of the direct path of the blade circle and not expect it to fail at mulching or not collect lush clippings and then drop them all at once, don't even have to be particularly clever to see this design problem.

Frue
05-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Listen everything is top secret. Here is the secret! They now have issues..... There is enough out there to make a judgement on them. I looked into them 2 years ago. I called and talked to gary ( who by the way was very nice) He gave me two names to contact about the units, Both said they would not purchase another. So i did not buy. I am glad I decided against it. I also challenged them to let me demo one and write a unbiased report offer was denied.........

I believe the big companys can learn a lot from the service aspect of BOP. I also believe that they will perfect there machine. But I will not be the guinea pig. I will demo and give them my thoughts but I am tired of buying machines and finding the quirks. (snapper pro, exmark triton, and ferris is 2000 bagger).

Again If BOP wants a true assesment of there machine I am willing to take it for a ride. But I warn you I put on over 900 hours a year on my units this is not the average guy putting on a few hours a week and getting on and saying THIS THING IS GREAT DUDE I WILL BUY A FLEET OF THEM. The other thing is also I live in the North east where the cool season grass is tuff to cut right now. So there it is again Gary I can help you guys out. Over 15 years ex with cutting machines over 900 hours a year so your machine will geta true test. If it is good I will let you know, if it has issues I will let you know, so let me know gary!

RDA
05-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Listen everything is top secret. Here is the secret! They now have issues..... There is enough out there to make a judgement on them. I looked into them 2 years ago. I called and talked to gary ( who by the way was very nice) He gave me two names to contact about the units, Both said they would not purchase another. So i did not buy. I am glad I decided against it. I also challenged them to let me demo one and write a unbiased report offer was denied......

Cool, you (and everyone else) wants a free machine to tell us what we already know....

:)

Regards,

Rich

Exact Rototilling
05-31-2010, 04:36 PM
So who else is calling BOP on Tuesday besides me to find out....? :waving:

Frue
05-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Cool, you (and everyone else) wants a free machine to tell us what we already know....

Regards,

Rich

I am not looking for a free machine at all. But I am tired of these manufactures putting sub par equipment when it cannot handle REAL life application! These guys have fields behind the shop that they cut and call it r and d. Research and development is a joke. They all say the same thing blah blah blah, we tested this and this and this. Then it comes to us who actually use it in the morning, cut more then 3 inches of grass, and they say oooo we used it. They used it in a unfertilzed field with a inch of grass in august at about 2:30 in the afternoon.

Me personally i am tired of the junk they put out........ Quit paying this research and development and give it to the guys who are really mowing the grass. We can help perfect a good system. We need good mowers that cut well in a variety of situations. Its time to let them know. You had this ohio buckeye guy say that Bop was the best thing going and convinced a lot of people to buy them only come to find out that its not the cats meow for us.

RDA
05-31-2010, 11:13 PM
I am not looking for a free machine at all. But I am tired of these manufactures putting sub par equipment when it cannot handle REAL life application! These guys have fields behind the shop that they cut and call it r and d. Research and development is a joke. They all say the same thing blah blah blah, we tested this and this and this. Then it comes to us who actually use it in the morning, cut more then 3 inches of grass, and they say oooo we used it. They used it in a unfertilzed field with a inch of grass in august at about 2:30 in the afternoon.

Me personally i am tired of the junk they put out........ Quit paying this research and development and give it to the guys who are really mowing the grass. We can help perfect a good system. We need good mowers that cut well in a variety of situations. Its time to let them know. You had this ohio buckeye guy say that Bop was the best thing going and convinced a lot of people to buy them only come to find out that its not the cats meow for us.

So, you know all these things for fact?

Fact remains, that BOP is producing a good machine. Is it perfect? No. Does it struggle to cut long/lush/wet grass? Yes (as do many other machines from nearly all manufacturers). Are there other smaller issues such as hardware, clutches, an occasional spindle? Yes, there have been some instances of that.

But personally, they fulfill a niche of producing a quality product at a very reasonable price that works well in majority of instances for a majority of people that use them. They use quality engines and transmissions which was one of my primary criteria. Sure, you can spend less and you will most likely get less. Spend more and you might get something better, perhaps not. How many complaints on this board do you see about certain Exmark/Toro/Snapper/Etc. decks? I see them all the time.

I won't be selling my Quick 36" any time soon and I am anxious to try out BOP's attempt to improve the cut further.

Regards,

Rich

lawnsaspire
06-01-2010, 01:08 AM
If BOP were to improve their deck and make it so us current owners could somehow improve the clogging issues on our machines, put out a 52 stander, I don't think I would ever switch companies. That's how much I like the company and the machine. But the current clogging issues are just to much to deal with. I know other more expensive mowers have problems with wet and long grass but it can't be the same. I've used my 21" honda and 33" 10hp cub cadet and gotten better results in those conditions. Back to the original point of the thread. BOP is always being praised for their outstanding customer service. Well, the ultimate truth of that will be known if and when they release something that can help both current and future Quick owners with the deck clogging issue. I'm ready to hear from them and I feel confident that I'll be happy with the result if it does come.

Frue
06-01-2010, 09:55 AM
So, you know all these things for fact?

Fact remains, that BOP is producing a good machine. Is it perfect? No. Does it struggle to cut long/lush/wet grass? Yes (as do many other machines from nearly all manufacturers). Are there other smaller issues such as hardware, clutches, an occasional spindle? Yes, there have been some instances of that.

But personally, they fulfill a niche of producing a quality product at a very reasonable price that works well in majority of instances for a majority of people that use them. They use quality engines and transmissions which was one of my primary criteria. Sure, you can spend less and you will most likely get less. Spend more and you might get something better, perhaps not. How many complaints on this board do you see about certain Exmark/Toro/Snapper/Etc. decks? I see them all the time.

I won't be selling my Quick 36" any time soon and I am anxious to try out BOP's attempt to improve the cut further.

Regards,

Rich

Some of my comments are not aimed stricly at BOP but exmark (triton) Toro (sfs) Ferris is 200 bagger issues snapper pro icd. Its manufactures in general who IF was properly tested would realize these issues before we get them. And yes I do believe they test them out back because I have real life expierence with it. This is the point about giving there machines to guys who put serious hours on them in the toughest enviroments. Not guys who are just beginning and dont have a clue how its supposed to run. Then they get on here and say this machine is awesome. They only put on ten hours a week on it at best. I have had my share of BUNK equipment and I am going to speak my mind. I do however believe that BOP will fix the problem. BUT PLEASE DONT TEST IT IN THE BACK LAWN AT 2:30 IN THE AFTERNOON. Some of us cut at 8:00 when lawns are still wet......

Sorry I struck a nerve with you. But I do have real life situations with the testing plots but I will not mention companys names. There are two for sure I know do it.

RDA
06-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Sorry I struck a nerve with you. But I do have real life situations with the testing plots but I will not mention companys names. There are two for sure I know do it.

No nerve struck with me, I wanted some clarification or elaboration of your comments. But, people would read them and automatically apply all of them to BOP and then proceed to spread them across the Internet as gospel with respect to BOP. I have no first hand knowledge of what BOP or any manufacturer does for testing, computer simulation, R&D, etc.

I am tired of the BOP bashers (and all the bashers of most other equipment), my favorite are those that have never even tried a unit but imply that they have or simply repeat comments they have read (accurate or otherwise). It is one thing to use one every day, 50 hours a week, three seasons, rain or shine, etc., and have an opinion but someone that has no experience at all, please give me a break. I could bash the crap out of Stihl if wanted, I have first hand experience to back up my point, but I don't since it really accomplishes nothing and my individual experience means very little for all the equipment Stihl has produced.

I appreciate people that give honest, first-hand experience with reasonable expectations of what equipment should be able to do and haven't lost sight of the forest for the trees. These people have helped me make equipment buying decisions and avoid wasting my money.

Regards,

Rich

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Frue - hate to say it, but your extreme usage of machines (900+ hours/season!?) would not represent the avg. LS user when it comes to testing the Quick. Probably 90% of guys on here would not beat a 36" WB to death like that, nor wear it out to the point of falling apart in one season. It would take a lot of guys on here years to get to the point you get to in a half season, and by that point, they sold their unit and got a different one.

lifetree
06-02-2010, 01:48 AM
... I believe what you are experiencing is more commonly referred to as clumping, all mowers do it in tall / thick grass, all of them, there do exist ways and means in which to relieve this issue to certain degrees but these don't fall on the manufacturer, instead the responsibility falls on the owner so perhaps start looking into that ? ...

Yes, the responsibility really does fall on the owner !! Now, having said that, in response to the original question ... I will share publicly that I have put double blades on my Quick 36 ... gator blades on top and high lift blades on bottom ... and it seems to have a better cut and dispersal. Also, let me tell you, the vacuum and air flow are something like you wouldn't believe ... the power that you can feel at the controls is awesome (i.e.-increased vibration) from double the weight and air volume under the deck.

Now, mind you, the factory (i.e.-Gary) told me last year that they don't recommend it, but I decided to go ahead and try it ... the jury is still out on how it will perform overall, however, I've been running the double blades now for 2 weeks and am trying some different things.

I don't recommend doing it for others here on LS just yet because I've made some slight changes to the "configuration" to see how it all works out ... stay tuned and I'll keep you posted.

:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Frue
06-02-2010, 08:02 AM
No nerve struck with me, I wanted some clarification or elaboration of your comments. But, people would read them and automatically apply all of them to BOP and then proceed to spread them across the Internet as gospel with respect to BOP. I have no first hand knowledge of what BOP or any manufacturer does for testing, computer simulation, R&D, etc.

I am tired of the BOP bashers (and all the bashers of most other equipment), my favorite are those that have never even tried a unit but imply that they have or simply repeat comments they have read (accurate or otherwise). It is one thing to use one every day, 50 hours a week, three seasons, rain or shine, etc., and have an opinion but someone that has no experience at all, please give me a break. I could bash the crap out of Stihl if wanted, I have first hand experience to back up my point, but I don't since it really accomplishes nothing and my individual experience means very little for all the equipment Stihl has produced.

I appreciate people that give honest, first-hand experience with reasonable expectations of what equipment should be able to do and haven't lost sight of the forest for the trees. These people have helped me make equipment buying decisions and avoid wasting my money.

Regards,

Rich

Very well stated and dully noted. I think BOPs customer service is awesome! I also think snapper/ferris service is good also.

Frue
06-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Frue - hate to say it, but your extreme usage of machines (900+ hours/season!?) would not represent the avg. LS user when it comes to testing the Quick. Probably 90% of guys on here would not beat a 36" WB to death like that, nor wear it out to the point of falling apart in one season. It would take a lot of guys on here years to get to the point you get to in a half season, and by that point, they sold their unit and got a different one.

I know my usage is a little extreme but i know of a lot of guys in my town that put these kind of hours on them. This very reason should encourage manufactures to test them with us! If that machine does good in these condition with that many hours a week. it would have no problem handling the 90% of users...

frotis
06-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Anyone that purchased one, if they did the smallest amount of research would have know if its shortcomings. I don't even own one and I know of the issues just from seeing peoples posts on here. If I was going to spend the money I would have researched it even more. If you want a commercial mower purchase something with a proven design scag/exmark etc.

I don't think BOP owes anything to anyone if they come out with a better design, products continually improve.

brucec32
06-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Regards,

Rich

Frue does have a point. It is really difficult to pull the trigger on a mower you are not given a good demo period on. True, at his rate of use a week's demo would definitely wear the new off a machine. Still, if you feel your machine can do the job it should be subjected to an unbiased review. Sometimes owners tend to defend what they buy, no matter what the product (cars, cell phones, mowers, TV sets, etc).

I think Dishboy has a good point on the deck design. While the open area in front of the blades gets clippings out fast, those that stick to the front of the mower deck may not have enough air blasting them so the buildup gets bad fast. Perhaps a bolt-in baffle kit to create a wind "tunnel" with more force would be the solution? And while they're at it, rig up a bolt in mulch kit for us mulchers. But all this is very complex, which was my point earlier. It's probably something best done in computer simulations first, then tried repeatedly in real-world testing till its refined. Expensive.

I also agree that often it seems like they do test them only out back on a perfectly flat area of perfect lawn, at mid day, in perfect mowing conditions, because some mowers I've had were such dogs there is no way they could have had much testing. I remember a Toro hydro from several years back that was super jumpy and the weight balance was so front-heavy that the tires would spin, damaging turf, if you sneezed. No wonder the guy I bought it from was so happy to sell it to me cheap (as did I to the next owner soon afterwards).

lifetree
06-02-2010, 11:26 PM
... my Quick Ninja, it has made me a bunch of money over the past several years regardless. Its cut is BETTER than that of my Z400 ... the Quick comes off the trailer not the Z. ...

I agree, compared to other machines that I've had (i.e.-Exmark, SnapperPRO, and Lesco, among others) ... the Quick 36 has a better cut, in my opinion !!

lawnsaspire
06-04-2010, 12:40 AM
So Tommy called me today and recommended that I try out some hi-lift blades from exmark. Fortunately we have an exmark dealer in town. He did this in response to a desperate email I sent him about my insane deck clogging on my Quick 44. I don't know how these new blades are going to work but he claims that another Quick customer he had a lot of respect for says he's using them and is experiencing no clogging decks and is even mowing in the rain. I would never even think about mowing in the rain with my current clogging situation. ANyways it was great of him to call me and tell me this and I can see that they really want to help their customers. I called BOP back and talked to Tommy right away but it took me two hours to get someone on the phone at the exmark dealer who could order me the stinking blades. Hope the blades work, try it to if you want.

lifetree
06-04-2010, 12:54 AM
So Tommy called me today and recommended that I try out some hi-lift blades from exmark. ... I don't know how these new blades are going to work but he claims that another Quick customer he had a lot of respect for says he's using them and is experiencing no clogging decks and is even mowing in the rain. ... Hope the blades work ...

Yes, thank you for sharing this suggestion ... I might try it after my own experiment which I mentioned the other day !! However, the difference is that you have a 44" and I have a 36" ... I'm not sure if Exmark would have the size of blade that I need.

lawnsaspire
06-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Yes, thank you for sharing this suggestion ... I might try it after my own experiment which I mentioned the other day !! However, the difference is that you have a 44" and I have a 36" ... I'm not sure if Exmark would have the size of blade that I need.

Exmark has a 36 inch mower, there was a thread on here I just saw about someone's 36 inch exmark. As Tommy said get the hi-lift blades with the notch on one side. Actually he said get the " hi hi lift" blades. I guess he was trying to emphasize the importance of that blade. I think that they think they're on to something.

Knight511
06-04-2010, 08:36 AM
FWIW.... I switched from a hilift blade to a gator on my 21 this year and the deck clogs like mad now. I can see the same happening on other mowers... the Gators just have "too much" lift and the grass packs in since it stays in the deck too long. The blade does a great job mulching though.... even while packing grass into the deck.

I am waiting to hear/see what BOP ends up doing/saying... despite all of the bashing, the BOP 32" is still about half the cost of the Ferris... so for a part-timer, BOP still has a corner of the market because their prices compete more inline with mowers sold at Sears than at a commercial mower place ;)

Exact Rototilling
06-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

RDA
06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
FWIW.... I switched from a hilift blade to a gator on my 21 this year and the deck clogs like mad now. I can see the same happening on other mowers... the Gators just have "too much" lift and the grass packs in since it stays in the deck too long. The blade does a great job mulching though.... even while packing grass into the deck.

I really doubt that Gators provide "too much" lift, to the contrary, I don't think they provide as much lift as a typical hi lift blade and they make for a more turbulent air stream under the deck in an effort to cut the clippings multiple times (at the expense of discharge and lift).

I am waiting to hear/see what BOP ends up doing/saying... despite all of the bashing, the BOP 32" is still about half the cost of the Ferris... so for a part-timer, BOP still has a corner of the market because their prices compete more inline with mowers sold at Sears than at a commercial mower place ;)

The answer has basically already been noted in this thread. I will be able to personally report more soon I hope.

Regards,

Rich

flydelsolsi
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
So I do not get it. The solution the company themselves came up with to solve their problems is to use their competitors parts on their machines? If so that is rather anti-climatic and disappointing.

RDA
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
So I do not get it. The solution the company themselves came up with to solve their problems is to use their competitors parts on their machines? If so that is rather anti-climatic and disappointing.

No, not exactly, BOP will have the solution available directly from them.

Regards,

Rich

Exact Rototilling
06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Any other blades "Ultra Hi Lift" from other manufacturers that will work on the Quick 36?

RDA
06-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Any other blades "Ultra Hi Lift" from other manufacturers that will work on the Quick 36?

Not that I have found, there are very few 12" blades available that fit the Quick 36". I was able to find a few 12" blades that will work on a Quick 36" and I have tried two different sets for mulching purposes (not Oregon Gators). I will soon have a set of ultra hi lift blades to try that I will try for both mulching and for discharging.

You will be able to get ultra hi lift blades soon enough though for your Quick 36".

Regards,

Rich

Exact Rototilling
06-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Rich,

Do any other blades mulch better than the current Hi-lift BOP blades with the mulch plate installed? The BOP gators don't mulch worth beans with the mulch plates installed....tons of stingers...with cool season grasses here. The only use I have for the BOP gators is to break up bone dry leaves beyond that....:confused:

lawnsaspire
06-04-2010, 08:57 PM
As the band Live once said in the song Waitress, " Everybody needs some "" change" That's how I feel about all companies and people.

lifetree
06-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Exmark has a 36 inch mower ...

The problem is that Exmark's 36" is a 2 blade machine, not a 3 blade machine like the Q-36 !! Do you see the issue ??

lifetree
06-05-2010, 12:14 AM
... BOP still has a corner of the market because their prices compete more inline with mowers sold at Sears than at a commercial mower place ;)

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: There's no comparison between BOP Sears machines ... on either quality or price !!

RDA
06-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Rich,

Do any other blades mulch better than the current Hi-lift BOP blades with the mulch plate installed? The BOP gators don't mulch worth beans with the mulch plates installed....tons of stingers...with cool season grasses here. The only use I have for the BOP gators is to break up bone dry leaves beyond that....:confused:

Well, I have tried two different mulching style blades a this point (and neither is the Oregon Gator) and one was better than the other but I can't compare to the Gator since I have not tried it, I am only comparing to the standard BOP hi lift blade. Both of the mulch blades did better than the standard BOP blade in mulching, the clippings were much smaller and chopped multiple times. Also, both blades clumped far less than the stock blades. The only negative is that they both left stringers when the grass was very tall and/or wet when only a single cutting is performed. Double cutting eliminated the stringers and the flattened/poorly cut areas substantially. When the lawn was dry, there was minimal stringers and a single cut was quite acceptable.

For example, I mowed my yard today (largely tall turf type fescue, a fairly fine bladed variety), the grass was thick, tall and wet, about the worst possible situation for any mower. I am currently mowing at 3 1/2" and my grass was approximately 6" - 9" tall with most of it between 7" and 8". This was seven days of growth and daily rain and lots of sun and heat has resulted in rapid growth. Personally, I waited too long to mow it but it has been a busy week with daily rain and I was avoiding mowing it wet but today I buckled and mowed it wet as it was so tall and more rain is in the forecast. Like I said above, a single cutting resulted in stringers and some poorly cut grass. I have been watching and found that it seems the poorest cut area is over the right spindle/blade.

I took a bunch of pictures to illustrate my comments above, I need to sort through them and probably should start a separate thread rather than continually hijacking this one.

Regards,

Rich

brucec
06-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I have been running exmarks nothched hi lifts on my quick 44 for a couple of weeks now and I love them! I have not had to scrape the deck for a couple of weeks. I actually mowed my backyard in a pouring rain! They are a tick longer than stock so I had to shave them down a just a little, I just made a couple of passes over them with an abrasive disc. The cut is cleaner and it stripes and discharges better in my opinion. The part # is 103-2529. I mowed yesterday it was hot and muggy and the dew was very heavy on the grass and I didn't scrape the deck once. Just my .02.

Exact Rototilling
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
RDA,

I like to know what the part #'s are for those mulching blades you tried for the Q36.

Please post in the new thread.
:waving:

lawnsaspire
06-05-2010, 02:31 PM
I have been running exmarks nothched hi lifts on my quick 44 for a couple of weeks now and I love them! I have not had to scrape the deck for a couple of weeks. I actually mowed my backyard in a pouring rain! They are a tick longer than stock so I had to shave them down a just a little, I just made a couple of passes over them with an abrasive disc. The cut is cleaner and it stripes and discharges better in my opinion. The part # is 103-2529. I mowed yesterday it was hot and muggy and the dew was very heavy on the grass and I didn't scrape the deck once. Just my .02.

Bruce, you're the one that Tommy was reffering to when he told me to get those blades! He seemed to really respect your opinion. I can't wait to put them on. I'm sorry tired of the clogging deck. So I have shave the end of a little huh? Should I use an angle grinder or will that be to much?

Knight511
06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: There's no comparison between BOP Sears machines ... on either quality or price !!

1. You sort of missed my point...
2. The Craftsman "Pro" 33 is $1700 and the basic BOP 32" is $1895, so the price is actually pretty darn close.

My point, that you missed, is that BOP offers a MUCH better product than most of the Sears crap at a price that is decently close to or (if you look at some of their ride ons) better than... so BOP fills a niche in the market place for people that want better than Sears but don't want to drop Toro commercial prices on similar equipment.

lifetree
06-06-2010, 12:50 AM
... My point, that you missed, is that BOP offers a MUCH better product than most of the Sears crap at a price that is decently close to or (if you look at some of their ride ons) better than... so BOP fills a niche in the market place for people that want better than Sears but don't want to drop Toro commercial prices on similar equipment.

My apology, I apparently did miss the point you were making !!

Knight511
06-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I was going to take a pic of my two decks to show the difference, but... the last time I cleaned the decks out I sprayed them down with a nice dry PTFE lube and now neither deck has any build up. I had tried every other lube in my arsenal, but the dry PTFE lube does best for me :) and yes, PTFE is teflon by brand name ;)

brucec
06-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Bruce, you're the one that Tommy was reffering to when he told me to get those blades! He seemed to really respect your opinion. I can't wait to put them on. I'm sorry tired of the clogging deck. So I have shave the end of a little huh? Should I use an angle grinder or will that be to much?

I just shaved a little bit off of the ends, I used an abrasive disc.Yes I have talked to Tommy a couple of times about the blades I am running. I really like the exmark notched hi lifts. I ran them on the Wright stander I had last year and I also run them on the Bad Boy I have now. I wanted to wait until I have run them a little while longer to make sure I was on to something. I'm about 75% sure they are a cure, if not a complete cure they are a big improvement over stock blades from what I have seen so far. I'm letting a large part of my yard go and wait until a morning when the dew is really heavy and give them a make or break test. I'm not sure what or if BOP has been working on so I don't really want to step on any toes.I told Tommy I didn't want to post anything until I was sure, but I have been following this post for a while and decided to comment. I do love my quick and it has made me tens of thousands of dollars over the 4 years I have been running it, and I would not hesitate buying another one. I have only replaced 1 belt and 1 cable in 4 years so I'm very pleased with the machine, plus the customer service is second to none. Also I doubt if I could call Toro or Exmark and talk to them about my experiences with their equipment and end up on speaker phone with the owner and several other "Higher ups" (Tommy, etc. lol!) I will post more about the blades after I give them the ultimate test in a seperate post.

lifetree
06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
... I mowed my yard today (largely tall turf type fescue, a fairly fine bladed variety), the grass was thick, tall and wet, about the worst possible situation for any mower. I am currently mowing at 3 1/2" and my grass was approximately 6" - 9" tall with most of it between 7" and 8". This was seven days of growth and daily rain ...

I mowed a 1.25 acre lot the other in approximately these same conditions, except that I cut at a height of 2.5 inches !! With the experiment that I mentioned several days ago (i.e.-double blades) ... I would say that I had better results. My result was that the cut was good for the first 75 % of the lot and then I had to double cut the last 25 % with the problem area being over the left blade. However, the difference is that I didn't have to stop in the middle of the job to scrape the deck ... whereas, previously I would have had to do so. Mind you, I did scrape the deck after I finished, but it was much easier to do so at the end of the job.

lifetree
06-06-2010, 09:19 PM
... I will share publicly that I have put double blades on my Quick 36 ... gator blades on top and high lift blades on bottom ... and it seems to have a better cut and dispersal. Also, let me tell you, the vacuum and air flow are something like you wouldn't believe ...

Now, mind you, the factory (i.e.-Gary) told me last year that they don't recommend it, but I decided to go ahead and try it ...

Since it's been 3 weeks now that I've been running double blades in my Q-36, that is, the stock blades available from BOP ... I will share the details of the "configuration" which I mentioned !!

First, the second blade is 3/16 of an inch in width, so I got new blade bolts that are 1/4 inch longer than the standard bolts ... this is because I didn't want to take the chance of the blades coming off without having the same length of bolt holding them onto the spindle with the extra weight.

Second, since the additional blade would put the cut height lower by 3/16 of an inch I had to get some 1/4 inch caster fork spacers, therefore, the height of cut is actually about 1/16 inch higher. That's not really a big deal, though.

Add to this, the fact that I also added the Dually Step Saver to the configuration ... there have been a couple of other threads on LS about adding a weight to the front casters so the front deck wouldn't "lift up" due to the drag on the rear from the Step Saver. I had all of these "configuration changes" to sort through while trying to figure out what was causing the changes in cut quality.

Bottom line is that after 3 weeks I think I have worked through the issues and achieved the same cut quality as before with the added benefit of now being able to cut through grass that is both tall and wet. Also, in dry conditions, the cut quality is much better due to the double blades ... in other words, the Gator blade on top really chops up the grass so that the debris which is discharged is actually much more finely shredded.

Further, I've noticed that there really isn't any blow out from underneath the deck now. I think it's due to the enhanced vacuum and air flow which is created by the Gator blade on top.

I usually cut at 2.5 inches in height, therefore, I have 2 half inch spacers and 1 quarter inch spacer under the caster fork so the current height is set at 2.75 inches, the rear deck height adjustment is set to 2.75 inches ... but remember, the additional 3/16 inch lower cut from the second blade ... and the result is a cut height of 2 9/16 inches ... that's close enough to government work for me. Also, to compensate for the front deck lift from the drag of the Step Saver on the rear I simply have learned to initiate a controlled rate of increase in speed instead of hitting the hydro's full speed at take off ... without having to put a weight on the front casters that would look like something out of Gomer Pyle.

The bottom line here is that I am happy with the result of acheiving the same cut quality and being able to "ride" at the same time ... also being able to mow in wet conditions.

I would welcome comments from either Tommy or Gary at BOP concerning this ... in other words, do they think the additional strain on the clutch/brake from double blades would cause any problems ?? Or conversely, any other "operational issues" which may come about as a result ??

:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

RDA
06-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Since it's been 3 weeks now that I've been running double blades in my Q-36, that is, the stock blades available from BOP ... I will share the details of the "configuration" which I mentioned !!

....snipped....

I would welcome comments from either Tommy or Gary at BOP concerning this ... in other words, do they think the additional strain on the clutch/brake from double blades would cause any problems ?? Or conversely, any other "operational issues" which may come about as a result

I think you mean that the additional blade is 3/16" in thickness (if width, that would be one narrow blade) :)

Anyway, interesting results and I believe them. The interesting part that you have seen is that with the additional vacuum you have created, you are seeing less blowout from under the deck. I have also heard this confirmed by another Quick 36" user that is using a ultra high lift blade. I'll have my ultra high lift blades soon to try and compare those results to my mulch blades that I have been trying.

I believe the answer to most all of the issues is going to be more vacuum under the deck via ultra high lift blades as I am finding out, a few of you are also discovering and likely BOP will soon be confirming as well.

Regards,

Rich

lifetree
06-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I think you mean that the additional blade is 3/16" in thickness (if width, that would be one narrow blade ...

Yes, that is my error ... thank you for the correction !! :waving: :waving: :waving:

... I believe the answer to most all of the issues is going to be more vacuum under the deck ...

I think you're right here as well !!

Exact Rototilling
06-07-2010, 01:16 AM
lifetree,

Are you tack welding the blades together? The spindle lip - notch etc.... only protrudes enough to center and hold one thickness of blade if my memory is correct?

Lawnman J
06-07-2010, 07:10 AM
I spoke with Tommy thursday or friday of last week..I own a 36 single and a 44 dually..He said that using Exmark blades on the 44 and Scag blades(Z cat I think he said on my 36)that the problem isnt the deck design it was the use of a older style blade..They are designing new blades that will create more vacuum and less blow out from under the front of the deck..I will be at the Scag and the Exmark dealers this week and trying it out...Hope it helps

Richard Martin
06-07-2010, 08:41 AM
One of the problems with using double blades is the distance that clippings can be thrown. Sometimes it can cause problems that never existed before. For example it can throw clippings into beds and on cars where you didn't before. Say you used to only have to make 2 passes around an obstacle to keep from getting clippings into/onto it. Now you may have to make 3 or 4 passes. Or... If you mow back and forth ie: stripping style, the clippings will now be thrown further into an area that hasn't been cut. What will happen is as you work your way across a yard there gets to be more and more clippings thrown onto uncut grass. By the time you get to the other side of the yard you have way more clippings than the mower can handle. Some people will find that double blades will make the problems even worse since now the blades are really, really cutting up the clippings and turning them to mush.

I'm gonna help you guys out with this. It's an old trick that Eric Erickson told me about and Hustler endorsed on their mowers to help in certain situations. Instead of using 3 double blades just use 1 double blade on the left side of the deck and a single blade on the center and discharge side. The grass problem you're having isn't on the discharge side. That blade would discharge fine if it was all by it's self. It's getting the grass from the left side of the deck to the right side. Having 3 blades makes the problem even worse. So to increase the velocity of the grass you only need to double up the left hand blade. Just put a spacer (a thick washer will do) on the center and discharge blade so the cut of height is consistant across all 3 blades.

Don't just blow this off and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. This works and it works well on certain mowers. Give it a try and see if it helps.

RDA
06-07-2010, 10:49 AM
One of the problems with using double blades is the distance that clippings can be thrown. Sometimes it can cause problems that never existed before. For example it can throw clippings into beds and on cars where you didn't before. Say you used to only have to make 2 passes around an obstacle to keep from getting clippings into/onto it. Now you may have to make 3 or 4 passes. Or... If you mow back and forth ie: stripping style, the clippings will now be thrown further into an area that hasn't been cut. What will happen is as you work your way across a yard there gets to be more and more clippings thrown onto uncut grass. By the time you get to the other side of the yard you have way more clippings than the mower can handle. Some people will find that double blades will make the problems even worse since now the blades are really, really cutting up the clippings and turning them to mush.

I'm gonna help you guys out with this. It's an old trick that Eric Erickson told me about and Hustler endorsed on their mowers to help in certain situations. Instead of using 3 double blades just use 1 double blade on the left side of the deck and a single blade on the center and discharge side. The grass problem you're having isn't on the discharge side. That blade would discharge fine if it was all by it's self. It's getting the grass from the left side of the deck to the right side. Having 3 blades makes the problem even worse. So to increase the velocity of the grass you only need to double up the left hand blade. Just put a spacer (a thick washer will do) on the center and discharge blade so the cut of height is consistant across all 3 blades.

Don't just blow this off and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. This works and it works well on certain mowers. Give it a try and see if it helps.

Actually, that is pretty interesting and I hadn't heard of that before. With my Quick 36", I found that the right side in mulching mode is cutting the worst, I wonder what would happen if I simply doubled up that side.

I can always experiment more, for now I am trying different blades.

Regards,

Rich

lifetree
06-08-2010, 12:43 AM
... I would welcome comments from either Tommy or Gary at BOP concerning this ... in other words, do they think the additional strain on the clutch/brake from double blades would cause any problems ?? Or conversely, any other "operational issues" which may come about as a result ?? ...

Well, I went ahead and called BOP this afternoon to talk to them about my experiment with double blades ... Tommy was out so I got to speak with Gary !!

He was surprised that I had put double blades on my Q-36 and offered a couple of interesting points ...

1.) The additional strain from the weight of the extra blades is not good
for the clutch / brake.

2.) Because the Noram spindles that BOP uses are not designed for double
blades (i.e.-no room for blade spacers) the extra blade causes
the lower blade to be at the edge of the deck, instead of recessed
by a 1/4 inch ... which could cause something in the yard that
you're mowing to be picked up by the blade and sent flying from
under the deck ... in other words, it may not be discharged through
the chute in a controlled manner. In other words, this is apparently
a standard safety feature ... it makes sense to me.

3.) Concerning the double blades, I used an impact wrench to tighten the
blade bolt and Gary indicated that if you hit something this may
cause the blades to "come together" under the deck which could
some damage to the deck itself.

These are good points to consider for safety reasons ... I am now re-considering whether I want to keep the double blades on my machine.

Also, Gary said that BOP has committed to the tooling and the new blades which have been specifically designed for the Quick series machines are currently being manufactured ... and should be ready in 4 weeks.

lifetree
06-08-2010, 12:47 AM
... I'm gonna help you guys out ... Instead of using 3 double blades just use 1 double blade on the left side of the deck and a single blade on the center and discharge side. ...

Very good idea, thank you for the input !! However, it would still be a safety issue because the blades would still lowered to be level with the edge of the deck, instead of recessed in the deck by 1/4 inch.

lifetree
06-09-2010, 12:50 AM
I found a thread discussing the same type of build up problems with the Toro Turbo Force 40" deck ... I guess it looks like even the Toro deep deck has similar issues ... here's the link ...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=318963

RDA
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I found a thread discussing the same type of build up problems with the Toro Turbo Force 40" deck ... I guess it looks like even the Toro deep deck has similar issues ... here's the link ...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=318963

That was my point earlier in this thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3587660&postcount=16

That Toro thread is even more vitriolic than those criticizing the Quick.

Regards,

Rich

BigMack
06-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Well, I went ahead and called BOP this afternoon to talk to them about my experiment with double blades ... Tommy was out so I got to speak with Gary !!

He was surprised that I had put double blades on my Q-36 and offered a couple of interesting points ...

1.) The additional strain from the weight of the extra blades is not good
for the clutch / brake.

2.) Because the Noram spindles that BOP uses are not designed for double
blades (i.e.-no room for blade spacers) the extra blade causes
the lower blade to be at the edge of the deck, instead of recessed
by a 1/4 inch ... which could cause something in the yard that
you're mowing to be picked up by the blade and sent flying from
under the deck ... in other words, it may not be discharged through
the chute in a controlled manner. In other words, this is apparently
a standard safety feature ... it makes sense to me.

3.) Concerning the double blades, I used an impact wrench to tighten the
blade bolt and Gary indicated that if you hit something this may
cause the blades to "come together" under the deck which could
some damage to the deck itself.

These are good points to consider for safety reasons ... I am now re-considering whether I want to keep the double blades on my machine.

Also, Gary said that BOP has committed to the tooling and the new blades which have been specifically designed for the Quick series machines are currently being manufactured ... and should be ready in 4 weeks.

When I called BOP today for the blades I ordered BOP had cured the problem with blades.. They had no high lift blades, but did not say that last week when I orderd them. If its not one problem with the Quick 36 its another.
I will never listen to Bull Crap of company Owners (BOP)again.

lifetree
06-09-2010, 10:08 PM
... I will never listen to Bull Crap of company Owners (BOP)again.

It sounds like there was some kind of miscommunication, I suspect most likely on your part !! I've spoken with Gary many times over the last 2 1/2 years and have never gotten the run around as you have described.

coolluv
06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
When I called BOP today for the blades I ordered BOP had cured the problem with blades.. They had no high lift blades, but did not say that last week when I orderd them. If its not one problem with the Quick 36 its another.
I will never listen to Bull Crap of company Owners (BOP)again.

But look at all the money you saved...

You could have purchased a true commercial mower and saved the hassles.

Maybe next time.

Dave...

MesaLawn
06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I assume this thread or another will let us know when these new BOP blades are available for my Quick36? I doubt BOP will make too much noise about it on their site. But if they are a real improvemnet, will install them as standard on new mowers, and offer them as an accessory for existing customers.

I'm running their standard high-lifts which are OK. But look forward to trying the new design if they really work better.

lawnsaspire
06-11-2010, 01:09 AM
I put on the exmark hi lifts on my Quick 44 last night (after having to shave them down some when they sparked when engaging blades). THey have considerably improved the clogging issue but not totally resolved it. I tried it in one of my clover filled yards around 5 pm and the clover still stuck to the deck like glue, while not clogging the deck so much that I had to scrape it like before. Tommy told me the guy who recommended these blades was mowing in the rain with them. I'll have to see that to believe it. Bottom line, the clogging issue has improved and I really like the new blades, didn't have to double cut except once today when the grass was heavy with dew and exceptionally long. But if I can keep from scraping the deck more than once every other day I'll be happy.

Alta Lawn Care
06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
We have northern grasses here in Vermont and clumping and clogging occurs regardless of the mower choice if you mow in the rain. The high water mark as far as grass dispersal, is in my opinion and many other contractors in my area, the Bobcat. I would say that the Quick 36 is very close to it. Yes, if the grass is wet, I have to scrape the deck, but that is no different from he Bobcat I owned. Of course it's much easier on site to scrape the Quick's deck without a helper than the Bobcat.

lifetree
06-14-2010, 10:46 PM
... The high water mark as far as grass dispersal, is in my opinion and many other contractors in my area, the Bobcat. I would say that the Quick 36 is very close to it. Yes, if the grass is wet, I have to scrape the deck, but that is no different from he Bobcat I owned. ...

This is interesting ... the Bobcat is a deep deck machine and you're saying that you still had to scrape that deck !! What size deck did you have on your Bobcat ... 36, 48, or 52 inch ?? Also, how many blades were on the machine ??

rwar
06-17-2010, 08:37 PM
I tried the exmark blades today,I think it improved the cut considerably,it has been very dry here so I couldnt tell,but after a storm today I went back to cutting 30 minutes later and no clogging,I will see tomorrow if it is cured,it has rained more this afternoon and I have two clover yards in the morning

frotis
06-17-2010, 11:03 PM
How deep is the Quick deck? Does anyone have a picture of the deck from the bottom, I can't find any pictures online of it.

Richard Martin
06-18-2010, 04:55 AM
I don't why i worry about this mower even though I don't own one. Here's another idea but it would be difficult to implement on an existing deck. I believe the problem with these decks is there just isn't room for the air to move properly since the deck is so shallow. How about if there was a way to vent some of the extra air up past the spindles. A lot of mulching mowers have the engine actually sitting up so there is a 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the bottom of the "oil pan" and the mower deck. It allows more air to be pulled under the deck and increases lift. If you could get more air moving under the deck it may discharge better.

lifetree
06-20-2010, 11:32 PM
How deep is the Quick deck ? ...

I measured the trim side of the Q-36 deck a while back and, if I remember correctly, I think it was 3.25 inches ... so with the tunnel deck design it goes to approximately 7 inches on the discharge side of the deck !!

Chilehead
06-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Possible solution for Quick mower deck: One day I went from using Oregon Fusion blades to standard high lift blades on my Exmark Viking 48". I noticed stringers showed up with the new high lifts. When comparing the blades, the length of the high lifts were 3/4" shorter than the Fusions. Voila! If BOP were to extend the position of the middle blade towards the front of the deck while moving the other 2 blades back a bit, and then increase the overall blade size, this would help eliminate stringers. As far as discharge is concerned, I'm sure just about everyone is aware how well Scag's Velocity deck works in this arena. The shape of it is quite open underneath (not unlike the new Snapper/Ferris iCD deck). If BOP modified their design to mimic this and added an inch or 2 to deck depth, they would likely improve on the clumping problems. Another quick-fix (nice pun, huh?) would be to raise the mowing height via front caster spacers, and then lower the actual blade cutting height by adding some spacers under the deck. Voila! Instant deck depth added.

RDA
06-21-2010, 01:17 AM
The answer that BOP has arrived at is extra high lift blades. They should be available from them in July. As others have noted, they have seen a big difference with extra high lift blades intended for other manufacturers that work on the 44" deck.

No other changes are needed to the deck or spindles.

Regards,

Rich

GPDesign1
06-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Who thinks Gary Partridge should come on here and tell us about these proposed changes, and how they will help those of us who already purchased the current deck design?

I didn't even know this thread existed until about five minutes ago. Been busy this Spring working on the release of two major new products and not spending much time on Lawnsite...

Cutting issues (on the 36's in particular) have turned-out to be a "blade thing". The deck itself is a very good design- the problems were with the blades. New tooling is currently being finished-up and we have been promised that the new blades will be available in early/mid July. Side discharge and bagging is improved. Blow-out reduced. Wet-cutting is exponentially improved (and yes, we've mowed IN THE RAIN with these). I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

Any existing Q-36 owner that wants a set when they become available- just call and we'll send them to you at N/C.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Gary, that sounds good, can't wait to try a set on my Ninja.
My machine has been a $maker - if I can mow in even a little bit more adverse conditions...even better!

Ric3077
06-21-2010, 11:26 AM
The new blades should be out in mid July...

paulbe
06-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Gary--thanks for the info and the fine customer service!
Will blades be available for other Quick machines?
Specifically, the Quickie 32.
Thanks!
Paul

lifetree
06-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Gary ... Will blades be available for other Quick machines ? Specifically, the Quickie 32. ...

Gary told me in my conversation with him a couple of weeks ago that they were re-tooling to produce blades for all 3 sizes of Quick mowers !!

paulbe
06-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks, lifetree!
That IS good news.
An announcement should be on BOP's website soon, then.
Thanks again!

Exact Rototilling
06-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I didn't even know this thread existed ....snip..... Been busy this Spring working on the release of two major new products and not spending much time on Lawnsite...

Um....new product from BOP......;).......anyone else catch that? Gary can you give us any hints....release date...etc...?

lifetree
06-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Um....new product from BOP......;).......anyone else catch that? Gary can you give us any hints....release date...etc...?

Yes, I did catch that ... and simply figured that he would tell us when he's ready to !! :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Mowbizz
06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
I didn't even know this thread existed until about five minutes ago. Been busy this Spring working on the release of two major new products and not spending much time on Lawnsite...

Cutting issues (on the 36's in particular) have turned-out to be a "blade thing". The deck itself is a very good design- the problems were with the blades. New tooling is currently being finished-up and we have been promised that the new blades will be available in early/mid July. Side discharge and bagging is improved. Blow-out reduced. Wet-cutting is exponentially improved (and yes, we've mowed IN THE RAIN with these). I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

Any existing Q-36 owner that wants a set when they become available- just call and we'll send them to you at N/C.

Gary, I am a Q36 owner (Dually). I have a spare, brand new set that came with the purchase of my Dually...can you use them for anything or are they useless?? I will call in July to get my set of the new/improved blades...thanks for a great product and outstanding support...!

Exact Rototilling
06-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Gary, I am a Q36 owner (Dually). I have a spare, brand new set that came with the purchase of my Dually...can you use them for anything or are they useless?? I will call in July to get my set of the new/improved blades...thanks for a great product and outstanding support...!

Ship them to me unless they are the gators I'll pay pal you freight $ to put them in a USPS flat rate envelop. :drinkup:
pm me for address.

Chilehead
06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I just checked out the BOP website and the 2 new products are their Bullet blowers: a 9 HP & 14 HP model.

Richard Martin
06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
I just checked out the BOP website and the 2 new products are their Bullet blowers: a 9 HP & 14 HP model.

Umm yeah... There was an annoucement. It got ugly. It got removed.

frotis
06-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Someone posted a link to a site that had blowers that looked 98% the same execept the color. That was the last post I saw.

coolluv
06-30-2010, 06:07 PM

I wonder why? I looked for it and it was gone. What was said that caused it to be removed? What was the name of the company that was building them for BOP? I could not remember.

Maybe they don't want anyone to know they are not the ones actually making them.

Dave...

coolluv
06-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I guess no one wants to bring out the 10 ft. pole.

Ha Ha Ha :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Dave...

John_99_2007
06-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Uh Oh!
Kiss this thread goodbye.

Exact Rototilling
07-10-2010, 04:36 PM
so....is BOP shipping the Ultra Hi-lifts yet...?

RDA
07-10-2010, 06:00 PM
so....is BOP shipping the Ultra Hi-lifts yet...?

I meant to call this week but forgot to. I have a set on order and they were supposed to ship in July so hopefully they will be shipping soon but no, I haven't gotten them yet.

Regards,

Rich

MowHouston
07-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Updates? Anyone get to use the new blades yet?

RDA
07-24-2010, 02:16 AM

I called them last week (week of 7/12), they told me they expected to receive their shipment of the new style blades that week and would ship out ASAP. I called again this week (on 7/19) and they said they didn't receive the blades like they were promised the week of 7/12 and that they were now expecting them this week and would ship out ASAP.

I received an email from them with the tracking number today. According to the tracking, they are in-route and should arrive on 7/27.

If you ordered some and don't see a tracking number by Monday (assuming you have provided them with a valid email), I would give them a call.

Regards,

Rich

GPDesign1
07-24-2010, 09:41 AM

I wonder why? I looked for it and it was gone.

I asked Mike Donovan to pull the Bullet blower announcement because it had quickly turned into a rock-throwing contest.

Better Outdoor has staked-out considerable territory in commercial mowers- apparently BG and LW don't want us now attacking their cash-cow blower business. Dealers love selling you their blowers at rip-off prices. The Bullet blowers are substantially lower cost- not because they're not good blowers. It's because (by selling direct) we're not adding 30-40% distributor and dealer mark-ups to the price. I've heard it said that when you're taking flack, it just means you're over the target- Bombs Away! :laugh:

We studied the blower market for years before entering- the conclusion was; it's a commodity product class. With everything else being essentially equal, people look for horsepower and price. For that reason, we decided to partner with Selbro Manufacturing in Ohio. Selbro provides the raw proprietary components. Better provides the engines, assembly, QC, packaging, logistics, marketing and customer support. A very good product delivered at the lowest possible price. They're the best deal for our customers and perfectly suited to our business model.

The Bullet blower was only the first of TWO announcements (the smaller of the two)- Wait for it... :cool2:

And, we've got a wave of other stuff coming right after that... :waving:

Better Outdoor ain't going away- no matter how uncomfortable it makes the "big guys".

Have a good weekend Lawnsite! :drinkup:

Exact Rototilling
07-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Gary,

When is the next new product release date?
Posted via Mobile Device

Knight511
07-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Waiting for announcements and reviews of the new blades... I still want a 32" and the price of the Quicks is REALLY good compared to my other option for a hydro 32... :)

PremierT&L
07-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I have mowed a ton of Zoysia and Bermuda grass with my Quick 36s and haven't had any of the problems described in this thread. The only time I get any clogging or clumping is if the grass is wet and very tall and I haven't seen a mower yet that doesn't struggle in those conditions. I use the gator blades from BOP and the mulch kit, and we keep our blades very sharp. It sounds like this problem happens more with cool season grasses which are definitely more "sticky" when wet.

I've been mowing grass for a lot of years. Before I started my company 2 years ago I was a Golf Course Superintendent for 10+ years. I was even involved with some R&D for one of the big 3 companies when they were developing their current greens reel mowers. I love these little Quick mowers and the service I get from BOP. I have compared the quality of cut of my Quicks to Scags, Exmarks, and other mowers being used here in the area, and so far the Quick has been superior to every other mower.

My only complaint with my new Dually is my operators tell me their hands get a little fatigued from the controls. I plan on calling the guys at BOP this week and asking them if there is a way to loosen up the controls a tad.

Overall I've been very impressed with BOP and will monitor what other products they release. I have always been a fan of smaller companies that you can deal with directly.

abcfamily
07-24-2010, 10:24 PM

On Tuesday the 20th at noon I called BOP, Tommy answered and I ordered a set for my 44" as well as the new dampers for the "ocasional jerky steering".
I recieved them on Thursday the 22nd. Awesome service!
Unfortunately things are quite dry here on my side of Ohio and although I was able to mow my yard, no real answers will come untill alot more moisture is in, and on the ground. I would think that will hold true for many!!

PremierT&L
07-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Can someone please explain the dampners for the Duallys. Thanks

abcfamily
07-24-2010, 10:34 PM
My only complaint with my new Dually is my operators tell me their hands get a little fatigued from the controls. I plan on calling the guys at BOP this week and asking them if there is a way to loosen up the controls a tad.

Overall I've been very impressed with BOP and will monitor what other products they release. I have always been a fan of smaller companies that you can deal with directly.

Loosen up the controls??? I'm confused as I think the controls are quite loose.
Could they be referring to vibration causing the hands to "fall asleep"? I have had that happen so I put some foam around the handles and that has helped allot. I am also considering putting rubber washers between where the handle bar mounts to the frame. Just haven't done it yet.

abcfamily
07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Can someone please explain the dampners for the Duallys. Thanks

Read this: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=314296&highlight=dually+dampers

abcfamily
07-24-2010, 10:40 PM
By the way can you say BOP "Brushhog"

PremierT&L
07-25-2010, 12:39 AM
The controls on my machine aren't loose at all. In fact, they require a good bit of effort to push all the way forward, definitely tiring out your hands. Vibration has not been a problem at all on my machine. Thanks for your replies.

artman1
07-25-2010, 08:17 AM
On Tuesday the 20th at noon I called BOP, Tommy answered and I ordered a set for my 44" as well as the new dampers for the "ocasional jerky steering".
I recieved them on Thursday the 22nd. Awesome service!
Unfortunately things are quite dry here on my side of Ohio and although I was able to mow my yard, no real answers will come untill alot more moisture is in, and on the ground. I would think that will hold true for many!!

Is there a new blade for the 44? Also have looked on the web site for the dampers. Did not see them. Did you just call and ask for them?

Thanks.

HighFiveBassin
07-25-2010, 09:23 AM
The Dampers are on their web site under Shop For Accessories. Last item, bottom of page.

abcfamily
07-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Is there a new blade for the 44? Also have looked on the web site for the dampers. Did not see them. Did you just call and ask for them?

Thanks.

After reading different threads on here, I found they were working on new blades so I did call and found that they recently got a new style for the 44. Higher lift and longer cut edge.

Richard Martin
07-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Higher lift and longer cut edge.

The longer edge will help with cutting tall weeds and grass like dandelion, plantain, bahia and onion. I always sharpen my blades to the maximum length I can do with my blade grinder. I have zero problems cutting those on the first pass.

lifetree
07-26-2010, 11:59 PM
... The Bullet blower was only the first of TWO announcements (the smaller of the two) - Wait for it ... :cool2:

And, we've got a wave of other stuff coming right after that ... :waving:

Better Outdoor ain't going away ...

I'm certainly glad to see that BOP is continuing with the track record of innovation and development that they established initially established with the Quick series mowers ... keep up the good work BOP !! :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

RDA
07-28-2010, 12:30 AM
I received my new high lift blades today from BOP for my Quick 36. I did a quick comparison of them to the stock blades. As was mentioned, the sharpened leading edge was approximately 50% more than the stock units. In addition, the sail area was approximately twice the length of the stock blades and probably 50% greater in height.

I had allowed my yard to grow pretty long in anticipation of the new blades, it would be the closest I would get to replicating tougher conditions this time of year. My TTTF/KBG was between 7" -9" in most areas (yes, there were some dryer areas where I have some trees but overall it was fairly thick and long). I only made one pass (not one double cut), at 3/4 to full speed with minimal overlap. I also used my catcher to catch the clippings and my height was set for 3.5" with around 0.25" of pitch. I simply installed the blades, I didn't attempt to sharpen them and I scraped any excess grass off the bottom of the deck so it was about 95% clean. I didn't have much time so I was hustling to get it done quickly tonight (picture below).

Result: I was quite happy with the performance, it was the best cutting performance I have had yet with the Quick 36 despite having to cut more than half the grass blade length. I now have four different style of blades for my Quick 36 and these provided the best cut with the least number of stringers or missed blades of grass. The vacuum and lift were clearly better. Based on the amount of grass collected, the yard was pretty thick and long confirming that the conditions were pretty challenging and a good test for the new blades. The only thing missing is if it had rained right before mowing, when that happens I'll give them another run. I also will test them in mulch mode to see what happens. But, if any of you are running BOP mowers, I would definitely order up a new set of the high lift blades based on my initial experience alone.

Regards,

Rich

frotis
07-28-2010, 12:44 AM
I received my new high lift blades today from BOP for my Quick 36. I did a quick comparison of them to the stock blades. As was mentioned, the sharpened leading edge was approximately 50% more than the stock units. In addition, the sail area was approximately twice the length of the stock blades and probably 50% greater in height.

I had allowed my yard to grow pretty long in anticipation of the new blades, it would be the closest I would get to replicating tougher conditions this time of year. My TTTF/KBG was between 7" -9" in most areas (yes, there were some dryer areas where I have some trees but overall it was fairly thick and long). I only made one pass (not one double cut), at 3/4 to full speed with minimal overlap. I also used my catcher to catch the clippings and my height was set for 3.5" with around 0.25" of pitch. I simply installed the blades, I didn't attempt to sharpen them and I scraped any excess grass off the bottom of the deck so it was about 95% clean. I didn't have much time so I was hustling to get it done quickly tonight (picture below).

Result: I was quite happy with the performance, it was the best cutting performance I have had yet with the Quick 36 despite having to cut more than half the grass blade length. I now have four different style of blades for my Quick 36 and these provided the best cut with the least number of stringers or missed blades of grass. The vacuum and lift were clearly better. Based on the amount of grass collected, the yard was pretty thick and long confirming that the conditions were pretty challenging and a good test for the new blades. The only thing missing is if it had rained right before mowing, when that happens I'll give them another run. I also will test them in mulch mode to see what happens. But, if any of you are running BOP mowers, I would definitely order up a new set of the high lift blades based on my initial experience alone.

Regards,

Rich

Any before pictures? Was it 1 pass?

RDA
07-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Any before pictures? Was it 1 pass?

I didn't take any before pics, I wasn't even going to bother to take an after pic honestly but ran out and took a couple of shots before dark. Like I stated, it was 7"-9" long, the thickest/longest areas looked pretty similar to the picture I attached below which I had on my hard drive. I did walk around the yard with my yard stick measuring a variety of areas to establish the before length noted.

As I stated previously, "I only made one pass (not one double cut)."

Regards,

Rich

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-28-2010, 01:14 AM
RDA - how much moisture in the grass you cut?
Also, was your deck packed full after you got done mowing that?

RDA
07-28-2010, 01:27 AM
RDA - how much moisture in the grass you cut?

Honestly, I am not sure how I would measure that. It hadn't rained nor was the lawn irrigated in the prior 24 hours. The grass clearly wasn't as juicy as it can be in the Spring and prior to the last week, it has been very hot and dry. I watered this area of the yard in the pic during the drought to keep the grass from going completely dormant and we have gotten quite a bit of consistent rain over the last week so the yard grew pretty quickly this past week. The yard is fairly healthy as the picture demonstrates I believe and the clippings were pretty green and moist.

I very much doubt it but didn't check, I will look under the deck tomorrow and report back.

Regards,

Rich

Mowbizz
07-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Regards,

Rich

Absolutely, beautiful cut there...my new blades are on the way as I type and scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!
Any commercial mower will have issues with long, wet grass...period.
Thanks for the picture...nice job! And nice job BOP!:drinkup:

Please_Be_Green
07-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Cut with my new blades last night... granted dry and not too long, the side shoot dispersion was the best I've had and I could visually see suction along the side and rear of the deck...

Personally, I say nice job B.O.P.

Can't wait till the fall growth to really test these suckers out.

PS- I did take the time to sharpen them and take the paint off the edge.

RDA
07-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post

I very much doubt it but didn't check, I will look under the deck tomorrow and report back.

I checked the deck, there was virtually no build up from mowing yesterday.

Regards,

Rich

lifetree
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
... I did take the time to sharpen them and take the paint off the edge.

Please explain this to me ... what is the purpose of putting paint on the sharp portion of the blade ??

RDA
07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Please explain this to me ... what is the purpose of putting paint on the sharp portion of the blade ??

I believe you are misunderstanding him, like so many blades, the initial grind (which is often times quite coarse) is performed on the blade and then the blade is painted (or powder coated). This individual sharpened the blade (despite them being new) and in the process, removed the original paint from the cutting edge.

I left mine original (as I originally posted) just to be certain I was ascertaining their performance prior to any modification or sharpening.

Regards,

Rich

bare spot
07-29-2010, 01:14 AM
nice lawn RDA, new blades look like they leave a great cut. set showed up here yesterday, looking forward to trying them out.

PremierT&L
07-29-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the report RDA. My blades just arrived yesterday. Have you tried yours using the mulching kit? Just curious how they compare to using the gator blades. I'll probably find out myself here very soon.

Knight511
07-29-2010, 06:16 AM
So they now have a "Coming soon" on their site... a brush cutter. A dual hydro brush cutter to be exact....

RDA
07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the report RDA. My blades just arrived yesterday. Have you tried yours using the mulching kit? Just curious how they compare to using the gator blades. I'll probably find out myself here very soon.

As I originally posted:

Result: ... The only thing missing is if it had rained right before mowing, when that happens I'll give them another run. I also will test them in mulch mode to see what happens...

I plan to use them in mulch mode the next time I mow and I will likely only allow the grass to grow to around 5" or so (rather than the 7"-9" I did this time). We got a very solid rain yesterday so I am sure my grass is growing as we type...

Regards,

Rich

MowHouston
08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Any updates from you guys that got your blades in? Before/After pics. I'd like to hear some results from those of you who have used the mulch kit with these blades.

RDA
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Any updates from you guys that got your blades in? Before/After pics. I'd like to hear some results from those of you who have used the mulch kit with these blades.

Actually, I ran mine in mulch mode this weekend, with before and after pictures that you can also compare to my pics when I ran it with the catcher.

I'll try to post more later with the pics.

Regards,

Rich

RDA
08-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Actually, I ran mine in mulch mode this weekend, with before and after pictures that you can also compare to my pics when I ran it with the catcher.

I'll try to post more later with the pics.

Alright, I got caught up a bit, when I mowed my yard, it was with my Quick 36 and the new high lift blades in mulch mode. My TTTF/KBG was between 5" -6" in most areas. I only made one pass (no double cutting), at 3/4 to full speed with minimal overlap. My height was set for 3.5" with around 0.25" of pitch. I still haven't sharpened the blades so they are original as delivered with one cutting one them and my deck was about 95% clean.

Result: I was quite happy with the performance in mulch mode, the best I have seen yet from my Quick 36. There was no clumping or stringers left behind. The vacuum and lift were good but there is some blow-out from under the deck due to the mulch plate being in place. The yard was pretty thick and of a decent length to test the mulching performance (yet the grass was not wet, just healthy and fairly green). There was no build-up on the underside of the deck that wasn't there prior to cutting. I plan to run these blades in mulch mode most of the time based on this performance.

Below are some pics as follows:

#1 - Before cutting, grass about 5" - 6"
#2 - Before cutting, grass about 5" - 6"
#3 - After cutting
#4 - After cutting

I actually thought the yard looked better than the after pictures demonstrate but hopefully this helps anyone considering these blades.

Regards,

Rich

Chilehead
08-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Looks nice, Rich.

Mowbizz
08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Alright, I got caught up a bit, when I mowed my yard, it was with my Quick 36 and the new high lift blades in mulch mode. My TTTF/KBG was between 5" -6" in most areas. I only made one pass (no double cutting), at 3/4 to full speed with minimal overlap. My height was set for 3.5" with around 0.25" of pitch. I still haven't sharpened the blades so they are original as delivered with one cutting one them and my deck was about 95% clean.

Result: I was quite happy with the performance in mulch mode, the best I have seen yet from my Quick 36. There was no clumping or stringers left behind. The vacuum and lift were good but there is some blow-out from under the deck due to the mulch plate being in place. The yard was pretty thick and of a decent length to test the mulching performance (yet the grass was not wet, just healthy and fairly green). There was no build-up on the underside of the deck that wasn't there prior to cutting. I plan to run these blades in mulch mode most of the time based on this performance.

Below are some pics as follows:

#1 - Before cutting, grass about 5" - 6"
#2 - Before cutting, grass about 5" - 6"
#3 - After cutting
#4 - After cutting

I actually thought the yard looked better than the after pictures demonstrate but hopefully this helps anyone considering these blades.

Regards,

Rich

Lovely!! :usflag:

RDA
08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Looks nice, Rich.

Lovely!!

Thanks, I appreciate it, I think the Quick 36 with the new high lift blades work pretty well and the lawn looks good. I used to have a lawn tractor with a 44" deck that cut the grass and striped very well but I am also pleased with the Quick 36 now that I have the new blades and I have my own custom striping set-up (not visible in the picture of the Quick 36 but it is there).

Regards,

Rich

pnwlc
08-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Is BOP putting blades that fixes the problems on mowers they sell now?Fixed deck?Also how much difference in performance is the single vs the dual?

RDA
08-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Is BOP putting blades that fixes the problems on mowers they sell now?

Yes, it is my understanding they were doing that even before they were making them available for purchase separately.

Fixed deck?

No, it is adjustable, it is pretty easy to adjust.

Also how much difference in performance is the single vs the dual?

Well, the dual results in pretty effortless control from what I know, the single works well but you have to muscle it more on hills/slopes and turning takes a bit getting used to but isn't too bad once you learn to feather the throttle.

Regards,

Rich

Chilehead
08-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Wouldn't it be great if BOP made a compact 48" or 60" mower? Just imagine a 60" deck with (5) 12.5" blades. By the time the grass that was cut by the left blade made its way to the discharge chute, it would be dust.

Richard Martin
08-05-2010, 03:57 AM
Wouldn't it be great if BOP made a compact 48" or 60" mower? Just imagine a 60" deck with (5) 12.5" blades. By the time the grass that was cut by the left blade made its way to the discharge chute, it would be dust.

Unless it was wet grass or crabgrass. Then it would be just a pulp that sticks to everything.

To PNWLC, yes, it is what we refer to as a fixed deck. It is not a floating deck hung by chains.

Exact Rototilling
08-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Spent the last few days this last week mowing with the new ultra lift blades on my Q36. I had 400 hours on my Q36 withthe standard bladesand yes this is my biggest mower currently. I try to focus on smaller properties with 40" gates. Lets just say I resisted getting the dually 36 as an upgrade due to the handicap of heavy morning dew and all the common complaints. Deck build up is greatly reduced...I can mow faster and no longer have to overlap half...yes half on my excessively fertilillized properties. The jury is still out when using the mulch plate. But when bagging works great.
Posted via Mobile Device

willretire@40
08-23-2010, 01:08 AM
More updates please.

willretire@40
09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Not hearing much about the new blades. Any update?

RDA
09-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Not hearing much about the new blades. Any update?

In order for me to provide an update, it would have to rain. I have mowed once in the past four weeks and that was simply to even up the dried patches....

Regards,

Rich

Exact Rototilling
09-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Not hearing much about the new blades. Any update?Well I've had a few weeks to mow with the new ultra hi lift blades. They are in fact louder than the regular blades. I only noticed this when I switched back to the regular ones last week for mulching with the plate installed.

I primarily bag and use the accelerator catcher for most of my accounts. With the old blades with any heavy growth the inlet to the catcher would get packed with clippings requiring the catcher to be taken off and then remounted to continue mowing before dumping. I did mow in light rain or drizzle last week and I simply pressed on at only a slightly slower pace. There is a limited amount of deck build up but mainly in the front of the deck but nothing like the regular blades.

Currently the Q36 single hydro is my most productive mower since I target smaller properties. I have been considering getting a dually 36 but I fully admit I was resistant mainly due to the deck clogging with wet grass or even morning dew on slightly longer grass. We had a really wet spring and it was as struggle with the old blades. The jury is out for me with using the mulch plates and the new blades. If the grass isn't too long I think I prefer the older ones for mulching but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm at the point now that I have absolutely no reservations about getting a dually 36 when I buy another mower. At this point I have been wondering if there is a better mower under 450 pounds that fits through 40" gates [most of my account have them] compact as the Quick and can leave as nice of a cut as my Q36 does. Topic for another thread.

bare spot
09-14-2010, 12:02 AM
was thinking of this post today, had a yd with some leaf cover, so decided to switch out for the new blades, with the catcher to see how they work. from what i thought, like what i saw. gonna run with them for a few days to see which ones will work better for the upcoming fall season, right now i'm thinking the new ones are gonna work better for me. btw they were louder. and left a nice strips considering the grass conditions (took a beating with a summer of hardly any rain and hot, grounds like a rock).

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Well, consensus seems to be that the new blades are helping a great deal.
I need to call to get me some.....
But, did I hear that these new blades make the Quick LOUDER??
The beast already roars to begin with.

bare spot
09-14-2010, 01:35 AM
louder a little bit, like exact, picked up on it more so when switched durning a cut, last yd was getting pretty much use to it (although severe t-storm headed my way got my focus away from the blades).

Quick Cuts Lawn Service
09-30-2010, 12:20 AM
I put the exmarks (44" Dually) on and was impressed with the improvement. 2 areas on the front vertical part of the deck had build up but did not block deep tunnel enough to prevent most of the grass to exit the deck. My 2 cents about BOP, very cooperative to work with thus far. I have broken the the step saver three times now ( I'm 6'1", 275lbs) I have 12 accounts in which 3 of them are hell on the mower. Believe me I am testing this machine to it's fullest. Are there any others with step saver issues? Yes, I know, pull the damn thing off and power walk behind the mower until I'm down to 225 or so then all my problems go away! Other than that, I think this is a great mower for the money.

Exact Rototilling
09-30-2010, 11:19 AM
I put the exmarks (44" Dually) on and was impressed with the improvement. 2 areas on the front vertical part of the deck had build up but did not block deep tunnel enough to prevent most of the grass to exit the deck. My 2 cents about BOP, very cooperative to work with thus far. I have broken the the step saver three times now ( I'm 6'1", 275lbs) I have 12 accounts in which 3 of them are hell on the mower. Believe me I am testing this machine to it's fullest. Are there any others with step saver issues? Yes, I know, pull the damn thing off and power walk behind the mower until I'm down to 225 or so then all my problems go away! Other than that, I think this is a great mower for the money.

So did you buy the ultra hi lift blades from BOP yet?

WHIPPLE5.7
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Wet grass/tall grass just remember to drive the machine into area that doesn't have to look good before disengaging blades. The updraft of the spinning blades holds the wet grass up and it starts to sound like a hoover craft. At that point might at well plan on driving it out to a ditch line or alley before blade disengagement. When you do it will drop like 275 pounds of wet clippings.

Quick Cuts Lawn Service
09-30-2010, 11:21 PM
So did you buy the ultra hi lift blades from BOP yet?
There are being shipped, just got tracking number today. My hope is that they are at least equal to the exmarks...

Exact Rototilling
10-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Wet grass/tall grass just remember to drive the machine into area that doesn't have to look good before disengaging blades. The updraft of the spinning blades holds the wet grass up and it starts to sound like a hoover craft. At that point might at well plan on driving it out to a ditch line or alley before blade disengagement. When you do it will drop like 275 pounds of wet clippings.

Whipples,

Did you get your free set of Q36 blades yet? Gary said one free pair per Q36 owner.

Let's just say if I had these ultra high lift blades for the entire 2010 season I would of put in shorter days and made more coin.

WHIPPLE5.7
10-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Whipples,

Did you get your free set of Q36 blades yet? Gary said one free pair per Q36 owner.

Let's just say if I had these ultra high lift blades for the entire 2010 season I would of put in shorter days and made more coin.

I sent them an email but haven't heard back. Maybe its over or something.

GunnPropertyServices
10-06-2010, 06:45 PM
I sent them an email for a free set of Q36 blades, i got an email back from Tommy he said Sorry this offer is now longer avaible.

WHIPPLE5.7
10-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I sent them an email for a free set of Q36 blades, i got an email back from Tommy he said Sorry this offer is now longer avaible.

Same here. I was planning on buying another 32" dually in Jan. with some extras but if the freebees system is going to be ran like this maybe I'll go buy something else instead. They know who has purchased mowers from them so why should I have to watch internet forums everyday just in case they decide to do something for those who do business with them:hammerhead:.

Kingsford Farms
10-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Because they can, that's why.

Exact Rototilling
10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Gary shipped me one free set and I paid for 3 extra sets....glad I did because they seem to dull quicker than the standard blades due to higher vacuum .....at least from my perspective. Just buy a set or 2 and be done with it.

I'm leaning towards preferring the standard blades for use with the mulch plate...but bagging is clearly best with the ultra high lifts.
Posted via Mobile Device

WHIPPLE5.7
10-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Gary shipped me one free set and I paid for 3 extra sets....glad I did because they seem to dull quicker than the standard blades due to higher vacuum .....at least from my perspective. Just buy a set or 2 and be done with it.

I'm leaning towards preferring the standard blades for use with the mulch plate...but bagging is clearly best with the ultra high lifts.
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't even use a mulch plate on my Quick. Its leaves messy little trails. Its either side discharge or bagging.

GunnPropertyServices
10-08-2010, 12:08 AM
it would be nice if people/companies would stand behind what they say on here or any where. If i cant take your word on a set of $30 blades then why would i ever take your word on a purchase of a $3000 mower?

GunnPropertyServices
10-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Whipples

i did not buy the mulching kit for my mower but i did modify the existing shoot made it like a flat plate that i can shut completely or open all the way. It works really good for mulching or discharging thick grass. no plate to bolt on and off either

no trails of grass either

abcfamily
10-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Whipples

i did not buy the mulching kit for my mower but i did modify the existing shoot made it like a flat plate that i can shut completely or open all the way. It works really good for mulching or discharging thick grass. no plate to bolt on and off either

no trails of grass either

How about a picture of the plate?

Richard Martin
10-08-2010, 07:12 AM
it would be nice if people/companies would stand behind what they say on here or any where. If i cant take your word on a set of $30 blades then why would i ever take your word on a purchase of a $3000 mower?

I agree. I'm a little appalled that they withdrew the free blade offer so fast. It's not like anybody should be getting multiple sets of free blades. They know who bought their mowers. When someone calls and asks for the free upgrade they simply check and see if the caller has already gotten their free set of blades.

Dixie Chopper had an issue with their 60" silver decks back around 2003. They fabricated a nose cone plate to bolt into place at the point of the front of the deck. They offered the plate for free to anyone that needed one. I know of someone last year that bought one of the old silver decks that didn't have the nose cone plate. They requested and received a plate from their Dixie dealer for free.

Exact Rototilling
10-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Anyhow Gary posted this last June....the way I understood it was for 36" deck owners only since these mower are more prone to build up....? I'm assuming the deck build up is in fact less with the 44 deck and is even less of an issue with the Quickie 32...? This is an assumption on my part....I'd love to compare all 3 decks myself.

I don't see the ultra high lifts on the BOP website..???....I don't know if these upgraded blades are getting any reviews else where in another thread or forum?

I will say it again. Earlier in the 2010 season I was considering upgrading to a Dually 36 but wet/damp grass performance was holding me back. This is no longer the case. There is still some build up in poor cutting conditions but it is nothing like the standard blades.

The only reason I haven't purchased a Dually Q36 as of yet is I'm being tempted by the concept of a Walker mower with a 36" deck. Very few of my accounts will tolerate side discharge and 90% are bagged. Walker Mowers are very popular in my area and I'm wondering if this is a better direction for my current business model. I didn't even know this thread existed until about five minutes ago. Been busy this Spring working on the release of two major new products and not spending much time on Lawnsite...

Chilehead
10-08-2010, 11:32 AM
The only reason I haven't purchased a Dually Q36 as of yet is I'm being tempted by the concept of a Walker mower with a 36" deck. Very few of my accounts will tolerate side discharge and 90% are bagged. Walker Mowers are very popular in my area and I'm wondering if this is a better direction for my current business model.

I've used a Walker in the past and can say that you'll love it. I wish I had one. The sole reason I want a quick 36", is to replace my 21" push. I currently have 3 yards where I use a 21" due to small gates. Total acreage is about half an acre for all three, but two are steep inclines. I'm holding out (and watching this thread) to see what ends BOP comes to in regards to the 36" deck/blade situation. I'm ready to buy a Quick TODAY, but just don't want to make a mistake with a deck that clumps.

GunnPropertyServices
10-09-2010, 05:12 PM
couple pictures of the plate

GunnPropertyServices
10-09-2010, 05:15 PM
i plan to fabricate a control arm to open and close it up by the hand grips
right now i have to stop and open and close it by hand

ALC-GregH
10-12-2010, 09:48 PM
It must be hit or miss. I haven't had any problem getting what I need or had any problems getting in contact.

Exact Rototilling
10-13-2010, 12:18 AM
FWIW ....A phone call [including leaving a message} always takes precedence over email except when dealing with working associates or known established people etc.

At least that's the way I look at it.

I know I don't sit around checking and replying to my email every 5 minutes....however unfortunately my Droid 3G phone gives me update notifications every time there is a subscribed thread update....so I have to check it. :dizzy:

Michael J. Donovan
10-13-2010, 03:23 PM
this thread is now closed...we do not need anymore accusations or attacks thrown out there towards anyone - company, other members or businesses - here on anywhere on the site.

thanks,
Mike