PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your skin

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
05-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Everyday b/4 you head out you hopefully put your sun screen on and spend the entire day sweating. You've got a rag or towel in your pocket and wipe your face and sun glasses off, a lot. Some of the sweat mixed w/ sunscreen get in your eyes and man, that stings. Dry oils help w/ that but you have to keep re-applying between jobs. No way around that. But what about our clothing? I personally wear cargo shorts, nice big pockets to stuff my rags in, IPod,etc. My shirt is usually a wifebeater, sleeveless a-shirt or just a tee w/ rolled up sleeves.
I am beginning to see the sense in providing myself w/ a little more protection and always thought about the guys we see tending crop fields or nurseries wearing long sleeve white cotton shirts. I guess we all want to work on our tans but it seems that our sun has been getting stronger and more UV intensifying, so our risks of skin cancer is nothing to be ignored.
I got one of those catalogs the other day that have long sleeve shirt that allows the suns yellow light thru but blocks the UV. Supposingly helping to repair your dried-up aging sun damaged skin. Salty as hell, naturally, around $89. and developed by a skin doctor. Think it's gonna be just a wardrobe change here and a cheep white cotton long sleeve. Stay Thirsty my friends.:drinkup:

LwnmwrMan22
05-30-2010, 08:05 AM
I wear jeans, work boots and long sleeve cotton shirts.

I could care less about my tan.

topsites
05-30-2010, 08:12 AM
The Budweiser girls keep me covered in moist towels while spraying cooling mists
and waving cold air in my general direction, granted it costs a little more than the t-shirt.

You can't beat it for 'protection' although strangely enough it doesn't seem to
slow down the sweating much, it also seems to actually increase my heart rate.

Or at least all of that would almost certainly be the case if I were dumb enough to pay $89 for a shirt lol

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
05-30-2010, 08:28 AM
The Budweiser girls keep me covered in moist towels while spraying cooling mists
and waving cold air in my general direction, granted it costs a little more than the t-shirt.

You can't beat it for 'protection' although strangely enough it doesn't seem to
slow down the sweating much, it also seems to actually increase my heart rate.

Or at least all of that would almost certainly be the case if I were dumb enough to pay $89 for a shirt lol

Altho I WOULD pay $89. for one of those shirts!!

SNAPPER MAN
05-30-2010, 08:49 AM
The best way to protect your skin is to cover up. We always wear longsleeves, pants, and big hats. That is the best way to protect your skin.
Posted via Mobile Device

ewemule
05-30-2010, 08:59 AM
The best way to protect your skin is to cover up. We always wear longsleeves, pants, and big hats. That is the best way to protect your skin.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hate smearing chemicals all over myself and haven't done so for many years. Plus the long sleeves and pants protect against scratches from pine trees etc..
Marty

White Gardens
05-30-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm a sweater, so the pants and long sleeves are not part of my wardrobe.

Just the other day I was soaked with sweat, had sunblock on, and could smell the oil/exhaust fumes from my two stroke equipment, and for a split second I felt like I was swimming in a river or lake surrounded by boats.

I've started using the "Sports" version of sunblock and it seems to stay in place except for the face from constant wiping. I just try to re-apply when I can.