PDA

View Full Version : Clay flower bed

Grass887
05-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I picked up a job doing a reinstall on some beds. While I was ripping all the old stuff out, I noticed the ground is rock solid, clay. There were a lot of lilies, a few cottoneasters, potentilla, and some perennials.
I have to install:
Sweetspire
Phlox
Rhododendron
Hydrangea
Spirea
gold thread cypress
euonymus
Columbine
Lamium
Aubertia
Delosperma

Im just trying to figure out what I need to add to the soil to make it workable. I was going to attempt to till it up, the top layer anyway, then add maybe some coarse sand, and some bagged compost mix.

Any suggestions what to do with this?

thanks.

cgaengineer
05-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I picked up a job doing a reinstall on some beds. While I was ripping all the old stuff out, I noticed the ground is rock solid, clay. There were a lot of lilies, a few cottoneasters, potentilla, and some perennials.
I have to install:
Sweetspire
Phlox
Rhododendron
Hydrangea
Spirea
gold thread cypress
euonymus
Columbine
Lamium
Aubertia
Delosperma

Im just trying to figure out what I need to add to the soil to make it workable. I was going to attempt to till it up, the top layer anyway, then add maybe some coarse sand, and some bagged compost mix.

Any suggestions what to do with this?

thanks.

Till it up, plant and mulch the bed good. Clay soils is all we have around here and that all I do for my beds. You can add some compost to the clay if you prefer...it wont hurt it thats for sure.

SimonCX
05-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Justing tilling won't do much good, just from looking at your list sweetsire likes well drained soil but will tolerate clay, phlox hates clay soil and will consantly get a fungus because the water doesn't drain or can die if too wet, Rhododendron and Hydrangea like peat soil that is acidic. The rest will do fine if you mix peat moss or compost with the soil to get it somewhat decent but the first ones will take alittle more work for them to grow best.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Tilling-waste of time. Plant each plant with top and compost or manure (composted) by digging each hole 2-3 times the size of the pot.

Otherwise do a real bed install and excavate 8" and fill with good stuff.

JeffNY
05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Its supposed to rain from now till tmr eve, so it looks like wednesday will be a great day to 'dig' in. I think ill add some bagged goodies, and maybe try to till it up a bit, maybe even add some top soil

thanks