PDA

View Full Version : Clearing/Cutting Blades for Echo SRM-210

Canton
05-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Hello all - I've recently acquired an Echo SRM-210 string trimmer (thanks grand-dad!) and it's a dream. I live on an acre, all of which is surrounded by encroaching woods/weeds/thorns/etc. I want use this to both trim the lawn around the house, driveway, garage, shed, etc., etc., but also to beat back the heavier weeds and brush that try to overtake the lawn each Spring and Summer. The .08" string does a great job on the lawn, and even cuts down more of the heavier stuff than I expected.

However, I'd like to get some blades for this and I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. I saw one poster note that the Echo 80-tooth brush blade was good, but dulled quickly - same poster recommended the 22-tooth clearing saw blade instead, so I would lean in that direction.

I should clarify that I don't need to cut down small trees with this (that's what the chainsaw is for), but there's honeysuckle, blackberries, thick weeds and grass plus a fast-growing forsythia that I need to beat back every now and again. So...any recommendations?

Also, I see that Echo has a "blade conversion kit" but it costs $50 and comes with the 8-tooth grass and weed blade. I'll have no idea what blade is best for my application without buying and using one (or getting a recommendation here!) and it seems to me that $50 is a lot to pay for a strap and some hardware that I can pick up on my own. The blade that comes with the set is only about $20, so I'd be paying $30 for stuff that I don't want/need.

Perhaps there are some universal blades that someone uses with their "prosumer" Echo that are good? Anyway, any notes anyone has would be very, very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Canton