PDA

View Full Version : What to do about a very bumpy lawn

JeffNY
05-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I actually have 2 lawns that I do that are so bumpy, that I actually come off my seat several times while mowing. I know, of course I can go 2 mph, but I can't afford to do that, and really, it doesn't make it much better.
They both were obviously 'finished' without top soil, just that fill crap they have around a construction site, they somewhat level it, and seed it.
Neither are little accounts, one is my biggest paying account (its an addition they just put on thats bumpy), the other is a new one this year, couple acres, and I would tell them I just can't do it, but the lady that runs the place, that hired me, I do her house, so I don't want to piss her off.
Both places have rocks that come up to the surface, I've hit several at both places, ive gone through 2 sets of blades at the one place, and ive mowed it twice.

Is there anything I can do or suggest to them to make this situation better? I know a nice layer of top soil will fix it, but your talkin tractor trailer loads of top soil, no ones paying for that.

What do you do in a case like this? Quit? go slow and spend 2 hours on a 1 hour lawn?

topsites
05-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Best I can tell you is try going in different directions, sometimes that helps.

Littleriver1
05-30-2010, 01:39 PM
eather get off and walk or find another customer and let the lowballers have that one. I did find that a longer wheel base helped ease the pain.

mnglocker
05-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Is there anything I can do or suggest to them to make this situation better? I know a nice layer of top soil will fix it, but your talkin tractor trailer loads of top soil, no ones paying for that.

What do you do in a case like this? Quit? go slow and spend 2 hours on a 1 hour lawn?

How about enough topsoil to help, I figure 1 yard per 300sq ft. that'll cover you 1" deep. Get a harley rake and till/level the whole damned thing, add top soil, till it in and seed, seed, seed and water.

JeffNY
05-31-2010, 07:50 PM
I'll mention it to them, im sure they won't go for it. Im calling tmr to tell them their yard is unfit for my machines.

Robert Pruitt
05-31-2010, 09:00 PM
take care of my mother-in-laws lawn. front yard is small and not to bad, but the back is about .75 acres, bumpy as crap. have got to double cut. plus it is a corner lot so it has to look good front and side.

Lawn by Deere
05-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Cultipacker when the ground is semi-soft

Lawnut101
05-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Topdressing works. Or you can till it up, add topsoil, and reseed it.

Lawn by Deere
05-31-2010, 10:04 PM
I've got one that needs one of these on it

http://www.machinerytrader.com/images/Machinery/fullsize/82981434.jpg

CowboysLawnCare
05-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Haha, talk about a heavy duty striping kit ^^^. I am about to invest in a suspension seat for my next lazer. I jars my brains loose most of the time and makes my back start hurting.

JeffNY
05-31-2010, 10:14 PM
would one of those seriously work? I mean, it would have to be done in the spring, or when things are a little wet. Its hard as a rock right now, haven't had rain in a week, and its been in the 90's.

I have the mid-grade suspension seat on mine, but I might have to get the BIG suspension seat. This thing just throws you off it, better than stock, but still not like that $800 one.

Lawn by Deere
06-01-2010, 06:08 PM
would one of those seriously work? I mean, it would have to be done in the spring, or when things are a little wet. Its hard as a rock right now, haven't had rain in a week, and its been in the 90's.

I have the mid-grade suspension seat on mine, but I might have to get the BIG suspension seat. This thing just throws you off it, better than stock, but still not like that $800 one.

Those don't care if it's dry with the vibratory drum, but with all the compaction I'm not sure how well the grass would fare after the fact.

the one thing that is for sure, if you ever had to mow it again it would be smooth as silk :laugh:

Jay Ray
06-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Almost no budget for lawn & landscaping. We have them here too. The bricklayers put the lawn in as they exit (just kidding). Time does help some. If you can get them to go for ferts, even really cheap granular stuff, and get the grass thick, nature works a little faster. It will never be what you call good however. Mow higher if you can.

It is strange how these type lawns are somehow related to other lawns you really want to keep. Some problems have no solution.

Does anyone know if something like the Ferris Evolution rides good on rough lawns like these?

HISnHERS
06-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Almost no budget for lawn & landscaping. We have them here too. The bricklayers put the lawn in as they exit (just kidding). Time does help some. If you can get them to go for ferts, even really cheap granular stuff, and get the grass thick, nature works a little faster. It will never be what you call good however. Mow higher if you can.

It is strange how these type lawns are somehow related to other lawns you really want to keep. Some problems have no solution.

Does anyone know if something like the Ferris Evolution rides good on rough lawns like these?

I do.... and yes it does. Most of my own lawn (several acres) is pretty bumpy and the Evo has been the best thing in the world for me as I happen to have a messed up back.

You will need to adjust the pre-load on the springs to your own weight/preference. It's easy on the front springs and takes a few minutes on rear the platform spring and is mostly trial and error. It took me about an hour to fiddle around with it and test until I got it right. The spring adjustments make a huge difference in the ride over bumps. Once you have it "set up" for you, it's like riding on a cloud.

MikeKle
06-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Now having that machine flatten out a yard would be great! It would be as smooth as rolling on blacktop! BUt how much would a guy charge to roll over a yard one time with a machine like that? May not be worth it?

demhustler
06-05-2010, 07:38 PM
- to fill holes (at least some ) - probably the cheapest way (at once or little by little);
- cut in diff. direction would help to flatten it when ground is soft;
- or just find one direction - less bumpy....
... man, i hear you : ))))))

Briggs Man
06-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I also oversee a property which has rocks and pine cones which i do not like going over my situation is not as bad as your im sure but all i could suggest is perhaps digging some of the larger rocks up the ones that worry you most,maybe collect them a few at a time in a pail and bring them elsewhere and or perhaps then increasing the height a little on your mower deck i'm sure through out the course of the season you could remove the worst of it ,also i do not know if your blades were getting sheeres in half but you may want to go very slow not to hit them and keep your blades sharp with a grinder ,i'm hoping to help

1993lx172
06-05-2010, 09:21 PM
I hate these "new construction" yards. I have one of these and can say with total certainty, there is NO topsoil at all. Just crappy fill that is half full of construction debris. I have found pieces of metal (either banding off bundles of materials or what I don't know) , chunks of bricks and concrete some with wire mesh sticking out ( I dug that out personally), and other trash. This client has young kids so I made her aware of all of this and showed her where the things were, especially the metal, I honestly would rather find a chunk of metal with my tires or a blade FIRST and telling the client than having a kid get their feet or whatever cut while playing. She called the company and they sent a team out and removed all the debris we had marked out for them. With this yard all they did is scrape the topsoil in a pile along with the topsoil of about five other lots just off her property line and threw down seed. If I am standing on the line I can reach out and touch the pile. They couldn't just take a dozer and spread it out? There's a berm all around the back yard that the top of it is to grade, they couldn't finish filling the yard in? COME ON!

MikeKle
06-06-2010, 12:40 AM
You could also try airing your tires down a little bit on bumpy yards, but remember to adjust the deck height accordingly. I doubt it would be that pricey for a guy to run over a yard one time in a big steam roller, it would only take about 15 minutes? You could try asking a city employee if you see them using one and tell them your address and offer him some money, they would likey do it for you, if they had time and the price was right! around here, the city guys use some county equipment on their own yards or property if they have some down time. just another perk of working for a city!

topsites
06-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Haha, talk about a heavy duty striping kit ^^^. I am about to invest in a suspension seat for my next lazer. I jars my brains loose most of the time and makes my back start hurting.

Hey, I've seen some suspension seats starting at $80 of course I can't say if they'll fit your mower:
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=42677&sid=&eid=&bhcd2=1275808263
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200403585_200403585?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Seats%3ESuspension%20Seats&cm_ite=716924?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=716924
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=42678&sid=&eid=

It is strange how these type lawns are somehow related to other lawns you really want to keep.

:laugh:

Strange as in you don't realize exactly how related until you give one the boot,
then in the week to come several of your keeper customers call you to say they
found a new service provider.

Charles
06-06-2010, 07:00 AM
I had a bumpy 4 hour commercial job. Slow going all the way. Good money and they paid on time. Nobody bothered me. So I kept it. I was so glad when they sold that place. :clapping: Well except for the money I lost:cry:
Lazer's are definitely not for rough properties

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
06-06-2010, 07:27 AM
man i have one of these new construction site properties too. Just so happens to be my HIGHEST paying lawn as well!!!!! Its about 2 acres of grass...3 acre property. BUMPY AS HELL. i dont even have a z-turn and im doin it with a 48 exmark and a 36 gravely WB with sulkys. I dont get out of 3rd gear and am jacking the breaks cuz i know where the BAD spots are luckily. Ive tried airin down the tires, doesnt work, and i cut in different direction every week....still doesnt matter. like u guys said...they just throw the contractor grade seed down without real screened topsoil. big sticks/wood everywhere etc. If it werent for the pay, i would be gone by now.....im just worried about what its doing to the life of my mowers. lol im sure its not too good for em. the gravely is a little better only cuz of the bigger tires than the exmark. And it would be pricey to have sum1 run over a yard with the big machine because they all charge a very costly minimum just to take that thing off the trailer no matter how long the job takes

Bumpmaster
06-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Mow the yard for five or more years, it will smooth out more.