PDA

View Full Version : tiger scag won't start, new to site, help!

kathylenzen
05-30-2010, 02:56 PM
I have a 2002-03 turf tiger, love it, but, houston i have a problem! 23 kohler command engine. I was cutting my lawn, got on the slant by the dry ditch, it killed, would't start, thought out of gas, put gas in, still wouldn't start, pulled it in with my kabota tractor and proceeded to troubleshoot, thought it was filter, it was not, than found a melted and blown fuse by the starting control panel, changed melted housing and both fuses. It started right up perfectly and purred like a kitten ,i was pround that i did this all with my husband being out of town. At this point it was nite so i started it again and put it up til morning. the next morning i went to the garage to start it up and cut grass and now all it does is click when i turn the key , it still won't start. Before all this , it was not holding a charge, i would put the charger on and after a few tries it would finally catch and start, what i mean by catch is that when trying to start, i would have to turn the key a few times before it would engage the starter to start, this didn't seem to be a big problem so i just continued to start the mover this way for a few weeks. Could this be a few different problems or does it all stem from the way it was starting a few weeks prior when i was having to use the charger, or did the melted receptor and fuse add to more damage, even though it started perfectly after changing this. Do i have a whold new problem ,,,help!!! i don't have a truck to get it to the shop and feel i am capable of doing it my self. just neen some good advice.

Mahoney3223
05-30-2010, 09:31 PM
battery u had a bad connect. which caused the wires melting etc.

kathylenzen
05-30-2010, 10:04 PM
but i changed the melted receptor and fuses and it immediately started,so i put it up until the next morning and now all it does is make a click sound when i turn the key on, it does not respond to the charger .

4 seasons lawn&land
05-30-2010, 10:08 PM
That happens when one of the switches malfunctions. The key switch or the PTO switch goes bad and it will "click click" several times, then all of a sudden start fine. Its an electrical thing so makes sence after the melted fuse thing.

watson524
05-31-2010, 07:21 PM
I had the same thing happen... for me, it was the voltmeter gone bad causing blown fuses...

kathylenzen
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
I had the same thing happen... for me, it was the voltmeter gone bad causing blown fuses...

where is the voltmeter, i did was looking for a voltage regulator and did not find it on the schematics, is that the same thing. i took of the ignitionswitch and pto switch and was going to the lawn shop tomorrow to see if it is that, i guess it is a process of elimination and i ordered a starter/selinoid. funny thing is it started right up when i changed the fuse and the receptor, and now just a click when i turn the key,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the info.

watson524
05-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry, I said voltmeter but really it's an ammeter. On my 2001 it's the gauge furthest forward on the left side there with the others. It would blow a fuse, I'd replace it with a 20a fuse, go ok for a short while, blow another..... you get the idea.

kathylenzen
06-01-2010, 05:09 PM
well ,it is not the PTO switch and it is not the ignition switch. So i picked up a voltage regulator, wished i would have picked up a ammeter, at this point it is a process of elimination. I still think it is the selenoid, and i do have that ordered, thanks guys , you imput is greatly appriciated. i will keep posting the out come until i get it and than i'll shout horay!

4 seasons lawn&land
06-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Most dealers will let you take a battery no charge just to hook it up and see if yours is dead.

Make sure the charge wire is hooked. It small and easy to overlook. Had that happen to me last week.

kathylenzen
06-02-2010, 02:14 PM
what do you mean, charge wire hooked? please specify, ? do you mean post? I would die if it was something so simple. Thanks

mybowtie
06-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Sounds like the starter/selenoid. Mine would click when turning the key, but the starter wouldnt engage..if i repeteidly turned key on and off rapidly it would sometimes engage the starter and crank over. Deff not the PTO switch.
you wouldnt even get a click if it was that.