PDA

View Full Version : stihl fs 90 question

ridetoslide
05-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey fellas, I have a question about the Stihl FS90 trimmer. I'm looking to buy one and went and looked at them at 2 different dealers. I was under the assumption that the FS90 had a interchangeable gear box and accessories could be used with it, like cultivator, broom, etc. BUT, both dealers said, oh no, you need the "Kombi" unit for the interchangeable add on implements. The "Kombi" FS90 is $299 but I would have to buy the string trimmer head unit for another $89. The regular FS90 is $299 but is ready to trim. The Stihl brochure book from one of the dealers clearly shows attachments for the regular FS90 model and also for the "Kombi". Am I missing something or did Stihl change things? I'm confused. I'd like to but the regular FS90 and IF I need attachments I can. But If I can't ever add them, then maybe it's the Kombi unit. And help would be greatly appreciated!

06LTNox
05-30-2010, 04:50 PM
You can, but its not a quick change like on the Kombis. Depends on how often you plan on changing the attachments.

rreyn1812
05-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey fellas, I have a question about the Stihl FS90 trimmer. I'm looking to buy one and went and looked at them at 2 different dealers. I was under the assumption that the FS90 had a interchangeable gear box and accessories could be used with it, like cultivator, broom, etc. BUT, both dealers said, oh no, you need the "Kombi" unit for the interchangeable add on implements. The "Kombi" FS90 is $299 but I would have to buy the string trimmer head unit for another $89. The regular FS90 is $299 but is ready to trim. The Stihl brochure book from one of the dealers clearly shows attachments for the regular FS90 model and also for the "Kombi". Am I missing something or did Stihl change things? I'm confused. I'd like to but the regular FS90 and IF I need attachments I can. But If I can't ever add them, then maybe it's the Kombi unit. And help would be greatly appreciated!

If the dealer said that, then he either lied or just doesn't know his equipment. I have a FS90 and you can use attachments (gearbox change--see Stihl web site http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/interchangeable.html). I have the chain saw attachment and also the edge trimmer attachement and the changeout takes just a minute or two. Loosen two torx screws, slip one off, slip other on, tighten screws. No problema! :):):):)

B Gillespie
05-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Exactly. I often switch between the edger and tiller on my FC95, and it takes less than one minute. Both attachments also work on my FS250R.
Posted via Mobile Device

dougdm
05-30-2010, 05:42 PM
I have the 135 degree hedge trimmer on one of my fs55 and flip it back and forth to the mini chain saw. They both work very well. The only thing is that you have to make sure your gear box on the implement itself stays greased. My hedge trimmer gets really hot, constantly adding grease.

Happy Long Weekend, Tuesday is going to suck:usflag:

wimpy
05-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I have the 135 degree hedge trimmer on one of my fs55 and flip it back and forth to the mini chain saw. They both work very well. The only thing is that you have to make sure your gear box on the implement itself stays greased. My hedge trimmer gets really hot, constantly adding grease.

FS55 isn't supposed to take those attachments. It's a flex cable, no wonder it's getting hot.

mbrew
05-30-2010, 07:54 PM
I talked to a Stihl rep about that trimmer on Friday, and he was using the ability to change the attachments at the end as a selling point.

Lbilawncare
05-30-2010, 08:15 PM
As long as it has a solid shaft you can change out the attachments.

Merkava_4
05-31-2010, 07:07 AM
Loosen two torx screws, slip one off, slip other on, tighten screws. No problema! :):):):)

Datz right.

ktoom
05-31-2010, 09:17 AM
We just bought another FS90 on sat......YESSSSS

2brothersyardcare
05-31-2010, 09:30 AM
i do it for the edger and brush cutter

ridetoslide
05-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. After much reading on here, I went to the 2 dealers that I mentioned. I could have swore, like you all have said, that the regular FS90 would take the attachments. Then while one dealer was telling me I had to get the Kombi, the book in my hand from Stihl, showed the FS90 with attachments. I'm no expert, not even a commercial guy, just a homeowner wanting to buy a nice piece of equipment. Glad you guys clarified this so I can go buy a new FS90 now!!!

ed2hess
05-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Is this unit a 4 mix...fs90?

unkownfl
05-31-2010, 10:05 PM
I have a brand new fs90 I use the trimmer head that came with it and the articulating hedge trimmer attachment almost everyday.

Robert Pruitt
05-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Is this unit a 4 mix...fs90?

the 4-mix is FS90R. can't belive you guys are having problems with the 4-mix. have not had any trouble with them, have three different machines, and no problems.

rlitman
06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
The KM-90 isn't much more, and the only difference is the split in the shaft.

Swapping the Kombi attachments is toolless, and a little faster than changing heads on the FS-90. Do you plan on changing heads often? If you plan on regularly switching from string trimming to the edger blade to the hedge trimmer on every property, you'll get annoyed fast if you don't have the Kombi.

Also, the end of the shaft by the head gets dirty, and dirt can get into the shaft if you're not careful when changing ends. Since the split in the Kombi shaft is in the middle, it stays clean, and doesn't suffer this issue.

hackitdown
06-01-2010, 03:31 PM
The KM-90 isn't much more, and the only difference is the split in the shaft.

Swapping the Kombi attachments is toolless, and a little faster than changing heads on the FS-90. Do you plan on changing heads often? If you plan on regularly switching from string trimming to the edger blade to the hedge trimmer on every property, you'll get annoyed fast if you don't have the Kombi.

Also, the end of the shaft by the head gets dirty, and dirt can get into the shaft if you're not careful when changing ends. Since the split in the Kombi shaft is in the middle, it stays clean, and doesn't suffer this issue.

I agree, it is worth a few dollars to get the Kombi. I use mine all the time, switching attachments takes only a couple of seconds.

ridetoslide
06-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Very solid advice indeed. All I really wanted was a string trimmer, however I also wanted the option of adding some sort of attachment if I want one later on. I agree that the Kombi is easier to swap attachments but to set it up just for trimming was $400 and the FS90R was $300. That extra $$ is for something I may not end up using in the Kombi. But, thanks to the fellas that replied, the regular FS90R will take attachments, if I decide to.
So, I went this morning and purchased a FS90R. I had a chance to play with it for about 20 minutes before work today and man oh man, what a beast! Seems just a little sluggish on the initial throttle response but I need to run a few tanks of fuel thru it first before jumping to any conclusions. Lot of power, nice balance and fairly quiet. I don't like the 2 piece throttle grip though.

06LTNox
06-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I noticed that on my first tank of gas that it would die on me and the throttle didn't respond well either. After that first tank though it idles great and the throttle is feeling a lot better.

ed2hess
06-01-2010, 10:37 PM
the 4-mix is FS90R. can't belive you guys are having problems with the 4-mix. have not had any trouble with them, have three different machines, and no problems.

Shindawa advertisement literature isn't kind to the stihl 4-mix.....they say that it doesn't work in all rotations. Is that a shortcoming of the stihl 4-mix.

Robert Pruitt
06-01-2010, 10:54 PM

the FS55 is a upper end homeowners version. it does work well for light trim work.

Robert Pruitt
06-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Shindawa advertisement literature isn't kind to the stihl 4-mix.....they say that it doesn't work in all rotations. Is that a shortcoming of the stihl 4-mix.

what would you expect them to say? something like Stihl is better than our product.

ed2hess
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
what would you expect them to say? something like Stihl is better than our product.

I am trying to find out if that is true......it will lend credibility to many other shortcomings that they point out in Stihl and Honda units.

SCBigE
06-02-2010, 07:44 PM

You can still change out the gearboxes but it takes a little more time than the kombi. The dealer is just trying to sell their products. I work at a stihl dealer and I own a fs90 my self and change out the gearboxes.

Robert Pruitt
06-02-2010, 10:21 PM
talked to my Stihl dealer today. asked what the difference between the FS90R and the FS100, besides the $40 price. the FS90R will take the attachments where the FS100 is a dedicated trimmer. the 100 has a hollow drive shaft among other things for lighter weight.

dougdm
06-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Ok, Everyone says the fs55 is for light work, well. I mow 3 cemetaries and a few res and commercial props, as well as my fence rows at the farm. I did not expect these trimmers to last this long, which is why I bought the fs90. But the thing that I don't get is that they are still in great shape and do not have any issues (except I ran over one with the trailer). Both of my 55's are over 5+ years old and still no problems. I am really curious about how long the 90 is going to last. I agree when I purchase them I was expecting to get a few years- not over 5. Including trimming trees in the winter and using the saw blade to clear 4whlr trails. The hedge trimmer is the only one that I really watch for the grease, I don't want to ruin it (higher rpms than the 90). I am amazed.

Robert Pruitt
06-02-2010, 11:46 PM
the 55 is a great trimmer. it is meant for the home owner. has a cable vs. steel shaft. the average home owner this trimmer will last many many years.

cbkc
06-03-2010, 01:50 AM
If you are going to switch attachments a lot go with the Kombi. My brother loves his, after you purchase the second attachment you start to see the savings. I just purchased the FS100 and really like it so far.

SCBigE
06-03-2010, 02:51 PM
talked to my Stihl dealer today. asked what the difference between the FS90R and the FS100, besides the $40 price. the FS90R will take the attachments where the FS100 is a dedicated trimmer. the 100 has a hollow drive shaft among other things for lighter weight.

The shaft on the fs 100 is not strong or dourable enough to take the attachments even though the shaft is hollow it is not as solid as the 90r shaft.

Robert Pruitt
06-03-2010, 09:53 PM
The shaft on the fs 100 is not strong or dourable enough to take the attachments even though the shaft is hollow it is not as solid as the 90r shaft.

that is correct. that is why i wrote that the 100 is a dedicated trimmer.