PDA

View Full Version : Need More Pressure Scotty!

spomerhome
07-15-2002, 02:11 AM
I have several HOA's that seem to have been designed years ago (average 15-18) and have the same problem... Several zones have anywhere from 17-30 heads on each one and there is not enough pressure. Not sure what moron did these systems, but they are now my problem children.

All have 2" mains with reducers. Some zones have PGP's and others have PS style heads (for the smaller areas). The PS areas don't have enough pressure to even pop up the heads 2" !!! and that's with 4" heads!

Any help is greatly appreciated, not sure if there are pressure boosters on the market or what. To go in and re-design would be a major deal.

HBFOXJr
07-15-2002, 10:05 AM
You have to go through all engineering calculations to determine if supply pressure and design are compatible. With out that, the systems can not be simply "fixed".

This means knowing the static pressure, all pipe sizes, feet of main and possibly laterals, gpm of each head at a desired operating pressure etc.

This is big league stuff. If you asking here, it is beyond your capabilities at this time. Save your self and the client a lot of aggravation and seek a true professional. Don't just use somebody in the business either. Make sure they have experience and good results with large properties.

Trying this yourself could wind up costing you a lot of money trying to fumble through with out knowledge and experience. That could also cost you reputation. You'd gain more through a quality alliance with a local pro.

spomerhome
07-15-2002, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the advice Fox. I have already contacted one in my area who is.

Appreciate it. I knew I was asking for more than my scope of knowledge and was going to pay the price without working toward your suggestion.

SprinklerGuy
07-16-2002, 08:10 AM
spomer...I am extremely disappointed that you did not contact me.......where are you in Scottsdale????

Glad to see another Arizonan here! Good luck with those HOA's. If you need some help give us a call. And listen to HB Foxx all the time, he is NEVER wrong.

Ground Master
07-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Could be that the zones with low pressure have leaks. You may have to resort to capping each head on a bad zone, turn that zone on and look for leaks.

PR0 TURF
08-06-2002, 10:02 PM
GroundMaster
When you say "capping" each head on a zone to check for leaks...what exactly do you mean? How would you go about that? Would you remove the head from the line and place a plug of some sort where the head was threaded on to?