PDA

View Full Version : Planting Tree Question

Ken Griffey Jr.
05-30-2010, 10:19 PM
I planted a Red Maple today and I forgot to cut back the sack it came in. I took off the steel wire around it put it in the hole and just forgot all together about cutting the sack around it. Whats going to happen to the tree. Will it survive like that and do well? Also the sack was torn already and the roots were exposed some. Do I need to dig it back up? Just thought you guys could help me out.

betmr
05-30-2010, 10:57 PM
I planted a Red Maple today and I forgot to cut back the sack it came in. I took off the steel wire around it put it in the hole and just forgot all together about cutting the sack around it. Whats going to happen to the tree. Will it survive like that and do well? Also the sack was torn already and the roots were exposed some. Do I need to dig it back up? Just thought you guys could help me out.

The twine binding the ball is the biggest concern. Some nurseries use a poly twine to tie up the root ball. This twine does not degrade well and will eventually strangle the tree. If the twine is a blueish green, you need to be sure to remove it.

But you should at he least, open up the burlap around the root crown. And remove the twine in that area, to avoid choking the tree.

Ken Griffey Jr.
05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
is it under the burlap sack?

betmr
05-30-2010, 11:52 PM
is it under the burlap sack?

The root crown, is the area where the bark starts. The burlap should not be removed, but should be laid open at the top. and no twine should be left around the trunk. This will strangle the tree as it grows.

integrityman
05-31-2010, 12:34 AM
I ALWAYS take off the burlap, twine and wire. my plantings have NEVER failed. However, Im continuously digging up dead trees and shrubs with burlap wrapped around it. Burlap takes a very long time to break down. Generally speaking the roots don't grow through burlap worth a damn.

Kiril
05-31-2010, 12:39 AM
+1 ---- take the burlap off.

White Gardens
05-31-2010, 02:13 AM
+2 on removing the cage and burlap.

mdvaden
05-31-2010, 01:19 PM
You said it was a "sack" ...

Is it very much like a cloth bag? Because some growers are using a new item that looks like a felt bag, to contain the root ball.

It would have to come off. Does not look at all like burlap. I find the new bags somewhat despicable to deal with, because a few roots get through, and it can be a real bear to get the bags off some trees.

If you have an actual burlap, most will decompose okay and be left on the root ball if the material is not synthetic. The synthetic is rare these days, if even used at all.

Regular burlap can be taken off, and often that's preferred. But if you have good soil contact against burlap on both sides and water properly, leaving the burlap on is usually inconsequential.

If you have a root "sack" - one of these new things - open the hole up and remove it.

:)

JDExmark
06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
never completely removed burlap before - and never had a problem - then again the only part of the root ball really touching after its unraveled and the tree is in the ground is the very bottom of the root ball (maybe a bit more)... having it all wrapped up like you do is not good - i'd dig it up a bit - get at least half the ball exposed